1.    #1  
    I have been extra careful with my Pre and today the ear speaker stopped working. The only way I can hear when I make a call is via the earphones or the speaker phone.

Another thing that is odd is when I place my phone close to my ear, so as to make a call, the screen does not automatically turn off. In the past I had noticed the screen would turn off when I would make calls. I concluded this was so that my ear would not touch the screen and switch applications. This functionality has stopped working, along with the ear speaker.

I'm a little disappointed about this because it seems to be a hardware issue, and I am 100% certain that I've not dropped it or caused this in any way.

If this happend with my "extra" care, what will happen 2/10/12/18 months from now.

Ivan
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Please do a search before posting in the future.

I can't really speak to the proximity sensor not working but hopefully the earpeice will work again if you:
    - open the music player
    - plug in headphones
    - close music player
    - unplug headphones
    Just wondering if anyone had similar problems. If I plug headphones, it works but the other person can't hear me. The only way I can use it now is if I tap the speaker button so I have to use the loudspeaker on the back.
    Plug in some headphones. Open up Padora or the music app. Play some music.
    Then stop the music. Close the app & wait about 5-10 seconds. Remove the headphones.
    Follow Me On

I tried and with no luck. I tried resetting the phone too.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Plug in some headphones. Open up Padora or the music app. Play some music.
    Then stop the music. Close the app & wait about 5-10 seconds. Remove the headphones.
    I had this problem today... still do, in fact. I don't know what triggered it, but I have the exact same symptoms. I made a visit to my local Sprint store, where they ran the on board diagnostics. The audio test worked perfectly, the speaker was fine. However, the speaker still did not work during phone calls. I was informed that they aren't yet authorized to open the phone to check it out further, and a new Pre would be ordered.

I'm going to go try the headphone trick... I'll keep you posted if it works.
    try this order. Plug in headphones. Turn on music player. Pull out headphones while music is playing. That should fix it
    Still no luck. Thanks though. I'll take it to Best Buy where I bought it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    try this order. Plug in headphones. Turn on music player. Pull out headphones while music is playing. That should fix it
    Holy ******!! It worked!! Thanks!
    I figured it out! While on a call, I plugged and unplugged the headphones. The Pre recognized the headphones were off finally and now it works.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I had this problem too. I got sick of trying to fix it so I went to the Sprint store and they replaced my Pre for no charge. I got one of the original Pre's on launch day so this one's build quality is better. Not to mention I sweet talked the sales rep to give me the extra wall charger for free. Not a bad day...
    I had this problem as well, and just picked up my new Pre Monday. It's a refurb but still feels sturdier than my original launch day Pre.
    My Pre is one of the earlier models as well. Not the first day, but first week. I have already stopped by my Sprint store, and have a Pre on the way.