1.    #1  
    http://static.arstechnica.com/teleco...e_oct09_us.png

http://static.arstechnica.com/teleco...e_oct09_ww.png

"Palm's webOS managed to make quick gains shortly after launch, then just as quickly fell. After two months, it grew to 10 percent at home and 5 percent worldwide; after three, it's down to 5 percent at home and 2 worldwide."

And here is the entire article
    Wow, those graphs are all over the place. Considering Symbian sucks up 50% of the cell phone market, you would expect it to do slightly better...

So, I checked the story's comments to get some ideas on whats going on. Here are some other, related quotes:
    The percentage of ads viewed from a particular OS is not indicative of that OS's market share. There are hundreds (thousands?) of iPhone apps that are ad-supported, so a small number of heavy iPhone users can generate a disproportionate amount of traffic from the iPhone OS.
    That graph seems out of touch with reality when it comes to actual ownership, unless Apple managed to gain 10% of the market in a month. Plus Palm looks like it lost close to half of their market share. That can happen either by people dumping their phones en masse, which seems unlikely when they're signed into long contracts, or the market grew by a huge amount and palm received none of that. And is there any separation of iPhone and iPod touch?

Plus Palm had 0% for July. Considering they started selling in the second week of June, that would seem somewhat surprising on the surface of things.

It gives an interesting perspective on advertising, from the particular point of view of AdMob, but that's it. Presenting this article as showing market share is misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    given that webos only has 2 data points, i'd wait until you have an adequate sample size before making predictions