Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectHorizon View Post
    What is supposed to even happen when I connect the phone and hit charge only? I wanted to use the preware installer option because it seemed simple...I resorted to WebosQI when that didnt work...and QI does absolutely nothing. i dont even know if it is recognizing my phone.
    You will just see the usb icon in the notification bar. Nothing else happens. Your computer won't recognize the Pre (well in non-developer mode that is). If you are in developer mode you will just see the USB device icon in your system tray in windows. However, that does bring to mind the idea that your comp might not even see the pre in general. Have you tried connecting the pre as a USB device?

Also, just checking here, but you have the latest version of Java right?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2.    #22  
    The QI literally does absolutely nothing...I have tried clicking every menu option and nothing happens....I have tried to re download and the same thing happens........uggghhhhhh (i knew I should have went with android)
  3.    #23  
    yes java is up to date...it works just fine in media sync and usb drive mode
  4.    #24  
    Palm novacom shows up in my usb device list
    The QI literally does absolutely nothing...I have tried clicking every menu option and nothing happens....I have tried to re download and the same thing happens........uggghhhhhh (i knew I should have went with android)
    Well remember this is homebrew. All homebrew stuff is beta. WebOS gives a lot of freedom for playing around, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Palm novacom shows up in my usb device list
    Good that is what is supposed to happen.

6.    #26  
    I'm blaming windows not homebrew LOL.

Ok, so palm novacom shows up like its supposed to...now what?

All I want is preware installed so I can get homebrew direct on the phone
    I'm blaming windows not homebrew LOL.

Ok, so palm novacom shows up like its supposed to...now what?

All I want is preware installed so I can get homebrew direct on the phone
    Well at this point, WebOS QI should just see your pre. You won't get any notifications though.

Open up WOSQI, then go tools -> tweaks and tell me what happens.

8.    #28  
    gives me a warning about using them then I hit ok and nothing happens
  9.    #29  
    and if I click tweaks again absolutely nothing happens...just sits there.
    gives me a warning about using them then I hit ok and nothing happens
    So there is no warning about your device is not connected? What happens when I hit tools->tweaks is I get a menu with available tweaks. See the pic below. You don't see that at all?

Some more dumb questions: Your Pre is up to date and running WebOS 1.3.1 right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you are having problems with Java or the OS. As Complex Pants said, you should be getting screens that interact with the phone. WOSQI will complain if it doesn't think the device is attached. Do you have access to another computer to try it on? (yeah, a pain, but getting PreWare on is a one shot deal, then you can install what you want).
  12.    #32  
    no I don't have another computer. I have the most recent java installed. I am running 1.3.1 webos. I just don't understand why. I tested the webosdoctor...seemed to work just fine but when I use WOSQI it just seems totally unresponsive. No matter what I click on...even options it just does nothing. I have re installed WOSQI several times with no luck.
  13.    #33  
    Just re-downloaded the QI. open it and it says I need to DL the latest webosdoctor...which I already have in the same folder as QI and it still won't let me use it til it re downloads the huge freakin doctor thing...which I dont want it to do.
    Just re-downloaded the QI. open it and it says I need to DL the latest webosdoctor...which I already have in the same folder as QI and it still won't let me use it til it re downloads the huge freakin doctor thing...which I dont want it to do.
    First, nice job trouble-shooting, everyone. I think you found the problem!

I understand that you already have a webOS DOctor downloaded, but are you sure that it is the most recent one? the Preware Installer was in the past downloading an old version.

webOS Doctor has to be in the same subdirectory as WebOS Quick Install and has to be the right version. On a DSL connection it is a few minutes to download.

It is important to let WebOS Quick Install do everything that it needs, how it needs it. That is why the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install instructions say:

The first time WebOS Quick Install runs will take a while as it downloads and installs Palm's webOS Doctor and Novacomd software on your computer. You will need to restart the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file each time it automatically exits to install software for you.

When asked to install WebOS Doctor, click Yes (highlighted in yellow below) so that WebOS Quick Install can use those files. Never run the WebOSDoctor.jar file yourself unless you want to erase everything on your phone and start over.

When asked which webOS Doctor version, if your carrier is not listed, choose Sprint.

I included the actual screenshots of the pop-ups and highlighted the answers you give to try to make it clear. I highlighted the YES in yellow because we have had others who owuld not let WebOS Quick Install do what it needed to do.

Would you try the instructions again?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/14/2009 at 12:16 PM.
    WEbOS QI will not work w/o WEbdr being on your PC in the same folder/directory that WebOS Quick Install is located. They can both be on your desktop and that will also work.

WebDR is about 226mb in size. Download it and place it in the same folder with WebOS Quick Install (again, they can both be on the desktop).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  16.    #36  
    Ok, first of all I got it working now. Second of all...I do not know why you assume that I am stupid and do not know how to read. The DR and QI were in the same folder the entire time. Yes It is the most recent since that is what the directions say. as my first post indicated...I read and followed the directions EXACTLY as they were written.

Thank you to those of you that actually tried to help instead of ask stupid questions about where I downloaded the files to or which version (Which BTW is not offering a solution it is just frustrating beyond belief).

ALSO: Telling me how big files are does not help resolve a problem either...
    Ok, first of all I got it working now. Second of all...I do not know why you assume that I am stupid and do not know how to read. The DR and QI were in the same folder the entire time. Yes It is the most recent since that is what the directions say. as my first post indicated...I read and followed the directions EXACTLY as they were written.

Thank you to those of you that actually tried to help instead of ask stupid questions about where I downloaded the files to or which version (Which BTW is not offering a solution it is just frustrating beyond belief).

ALSO: Telling me how big files are does not help resolve a problem either...
    Glad you got it resolved. My guesses were going to be that webOSDoctor was not named correctly or you hadn't selected the USB Device as your option. Again, just troubleshooting guesses.

Do you mind shedding some light on how you got it working so if others have the same problem they too can get it working?
    Last edited by bpdamas; 12/14/2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: grammar
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I had problems similar to this just last week. No matter what I tried, I kept getting a Windows SysInfo error and then an uninstalling Novacom message. I tried to reinstall Novacom and also got the installing new hardware dialogue box, asking for a location for the drivers.

What seemed to fix it for me was to delete everything I had downloaded and then re-downloading everything, WOSQI, WebOsDr, etc to a NEW Folder that I created on my desktop. You might want to try creating a new folder and downloading everything again. It didn't seem to work if I just dragged and dropped from the old folder.
  19.    #39  
    I used a different computer. Worked perfect. Must be something with my laptop that is messed up.

I had uninstalled/deleted everything 6 times...re-downloaded everything 6 times...nothing worked.
    I used a different computer. Worked perfect. Must be something with my laptop that is messed up.

I had uninstalled/deleted everything 6 times...re-downloaded everything 6 times...nothing worked.
    Out of curiosity is you vista computer 64 bit?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast