Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. gryn's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
       #1  
    A very bad and unorganized rant/cry for help.

    If you don't want to read the bottom line is
    Palm obviously just needs more customers, help them.
    I know it's hard to convert people to a phone you yourself have doubts about, but this is just like the invention of airplanes.
    "I believe in this and want it to fly."

    I for one don't have the patience and will probably move on.
    Yes, my name is Human and I am a hypocrite.
    _____________________________________________________________

    "Wait till next year! Some of your problems will go away!" they say.
    Well, now we should wait a month and give Palm a chance, right?
    But the hardware sucks, an OTA isn't going to fix that. It's just a claim anyways.

    "But, the OS might be worth it after the update, regardless of hardware qualms!"
    Ok, so i'll wait for the next WebOS phone and keep the Pre.
    Wait! If I cancel in January I could get it on another carrier soon!

    "But, you didn't give them a chance! Now you won't see GPU and all the open APIs!"
    True...I guess they deserve a little more time.
    Then I'd have to wait for an update that actually makes the GPU useful and that fixes the inevitable, new bugs another month later. Don't forget that developers will also need to update their apps which means clogging up the approval system, so add another 2 months.

    "But, if you hold out and see it grow you can brag and stuff. Plus, after the dust settles your Pre will be everything you wanted (software wise) and then Palm will give you better hardware with the polished OS you helped build, you can just upgrade when your contract ends which should be a few weeks away!"
    Yeah yeah! and then I'll get discounts for becoming a Sprint Premiere Customer!
    Why the crap should I put myself through that if the other phones already have everything I need and then some? By then they'll be perfect and untouchable devices. The only thing that'll top them then will be new technologies like shades with SMS notifications and new radios that could take more than 5 years to fully replace the current towers.

    A new WebOS phone would have to compete with a climaxed iPhone on more carriers, and, the monster that is Google *cough Skynet cough*
    The competitors' hardware are made of win. Their issues are carrier prices and minuscule speed improvements and bugs.

    I think everyone should really test other phones side-by-side and then decide if they really want to stay.


    Another Perspective:
    -We're sticking with the Pre because we don't want the Tour or HTCs on Sprint.
    -Other carriers are expensive.
    -WebOS saves us a couple thumb movements which add up, making happy campers in the end
    ---offers nothing else
    ---effect is reversed by questionable hardware keyboard
    ---effect is reversed by lack of speed
    -Half the world is using the other devices
    ---More customers > louder complaining > more support > better device
    ---They will only get better

    The only time I realize something sucks is when it conflicts with my actions or gets old quick.
    With iPhone OS it was hard to find problems and I could easily wait for updates; simple things like a search feature was all it needed.
    WebOS has yet to bore me. The Pre screws up basic things, in my case calls, on top of not having the little features whiners "absolutely need." I posted about how I loved gestures and that I couldn't go back to iPhone OS no matter how many wasted hours I spent with it's apps. But, the hardware has recently gotten on my nerves. Palm I want to give you a chance, I truly do, but you're not telling me anything on what you plan to do nor listening to the most simple of request. At this point I wish I bought a Krzr and an iPod Touch.

    _________________

    I never liked the notification bar.
    Why put a black bar that further constricts the tiny screen on the bottom?
    The 'home' screen just sits there with no useful purpose.
    I understand they would have trouble implementing notifications if cards are open, but, couldn't you just use the home button to peek at small icons in the free space in card view?
    Thus giving the home button a lot more purpose in life!?
    rawrrawrara stupid designers
    __________________

    After arguing with myself in the editing pane for about 2 hours (my doctor raised my Adderall dosage)
    I think I'm going with Android next year.
    I already sold my soul to Google by using around 75% of their products; losing this wonderful OS UI might not be that horrible after all.

    BTW with so much crap thrown at Apple lately couldn't it be possible that they will be developing a new OS from the current one. It'll be like PreCentral all over again.
    Last edited by grynv; 12/11/2009 at 01:57 PM.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #2  
    Good luck with Android next year.

    And calm down , its only a phone.
  3. #3  
    Right now, Palm probably does not need more customers. They are having enough problems keeping their faithful following in line without having to try and retain a bunch of average people who thought the platform was something that it clearly isn't. More customers means more hardware problems, dissatisfied customers, and more returns. More customers will mean an even higher churn rate for Sprint.

    What Palm needs is a flagship device worthy of the title. They need a device that people will switch carriers to obtain. They need a device that is considered complete and competitive. They need a device that brings something new to the table, rather than rehashing ideas that are already out there. They need to give people a reason for dropping what they have and moving to the Palm device. Without any of that, they do not need more customers. They need to try and fly under the radar until some of their issues are resolved. They need their faithful to keep the faith and keep them in business until they can do better.
  4. #4  
    All I have to say if you want to leave and go to the Android go...you don't have to annouce it.

    Personally I have had no problems what-so-ever with my Pre and am more than happy with it.

    My husband is on Verizon and was going to hold out and get the Pre on them but found out that on top of what he is paying now they will have many limits for him as well as charging for the GPS function...needless to say he is actually paying his ETF with Verizon and coming (back to really) Sprint.
  5. gryn's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Right now, Palm probably does not need more customers. They are having enough problems keeping their faithful following in line without having to try and retain a bunch of average people who thought the platform was something that it clearly isn't. More customers means more hardware problems, dissatisfied customers, and more returns. More customers will mean an even higher churn rate for Sprint.

    What Palm needs is a flagship device worthy of the title. They need a device that people will switch carriers to obtain. They need a device that is considered complete and competitive. They need a device that brings something new to the table, rather than rehashing ideas that are already out there. They need to give people a reason for dropping what they have and moving to the Palm device. Without any of that, they do not need more customers. They need to try and fly under the radar until some of their issues are resolved. They need their faithful to keep the faith and keep them in business until they can do better.
    My reasoning for more customers is someone needs to get them some cash.
    I'm very ignorant in this part.

    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
  6. gryn's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
       #6  
    I don't mean to bring anyones spirits down like many other rants do to me.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
    I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound mean but it sounds like you are wanting someone to beg you to stay or are looking for someone to validate your feelings for leaving.

    There will always be pros and cons with any phone...there is no such thing as the 'perfect' phone. however right now for me all that I can do and do with the Pre makes it perfect for me....it's not a perfect phone though.
  8. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    My reasoning for more customers is someone needs to get them some cash.
    I'm very ignorant in this part.

    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
    You should know whats important to you.
    Then see if you can get the same feature on other phones.

    For me multitasking is the most important feature.
    I can live with the rest of the features.
    I couldn't do the elegant multitasking on HERO or iPhone or anyphone.
    So I stayed ( rather came back to ) with Pre.

    And not to belittle the savings from SPRINT data plans.
  9. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #9  
    Aside from being more popular or with a better financial outlook, you are dilusional if you think for a sec that some of the problems you cited for the Pre won't in a similar fashion, find themselves on any other phones you find to be a better alternative to the Pre. External build quality aside, the internal hardware (CPU, GPU, Chipset) is as good as the iPhone and the Droid. I can't speak to what "hardware" you were refering to but internally, the Pre is just as good as the rest.

    The grass is always greener on the otherside. There is a reason that statement was thought of and thats because it's true. Coming from a Windows Mobile perspective, I would take the Pre/WebOS any day and have loved it over any other phone i have used.

    I will be honest, if I had half as many problems as some people claim to be having with thier Pre, I might see it differently but then again, I would not let it get to the extent some people have let it either. 3 strikes and your out. That said, I have absolutly no build quality issues at all. I have not had ANY problems with my phone since I got it in early Oct.

    I can say with a certainty though, that if I had a rant about this phone, I would not have wasted so much time posting my rant in a forum. I would have just packed up and left. Come to think of it...thats exactly what I did when I left Windows Mobile behind. I departed PPCgeeks.com without even a whimper. This isn't a feel sorry for me website is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
    You really need complete strangers to tell you what you should do?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Aside from being more popular or with a better financial outlook, you are dilusional if you think for a sec that some of the problems you cited for the Pre won't in a similar fashion, find themselves on any other phones you find to be a better alternative to the Pre. External build quality aside, the internal hardware (CPU, GPU, Chipset) is as good as the iPhone and the Droid. I can't speak to what "hardware" you were refering to but internally, the Pre is just as good as the rest.

    The grass is always greener on the otherside. There is a reason that statement was thought of and thats because it's true. Coming from a Windows Mobile perspective, I would take the Pre/WebOS any day and have loved it over any other phone i have used.

    I will be honest, if I had half as many problems as some people claim to be having with thier Pre, I might see it differently but then again, I would not let it get to the extent some people have let it either. 3 strikes and your out. That said, I have absolutly no build quality issues at all. I have not had ANY problems with my phone since I got it in early Oct.

    I can say with a certainty though, that if I had a rant about this phone, I would not have wasted so much time posting my rant in a forum. I would have just packed up and left. Come to think of it...thats exactly what I did when I left Windows Mobile behind. I departed PPCgeeks.com without even a whimper. This isn't a feel sorry for me website is it?



    You really need complete strangers to tell you what you should do?




    I 2nd that,,
  11. #11  
    people just dont understand its a brand new phone, brand new Os. it hasnt even been a year. After a year then we can talk out *****. Seriously we get update every month EVERY MONTH!!!! What phone or company do that? uhmmmmm im waiting????????? I help u out NONE. Do the math 1 year 12 updates, even if it comes to do,,, But I love my Pre
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    My reasoning for more customers is someone needs to get them some cash.
    I'm very ignorant in this part.

    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
    $500,000,000 in cash reserves (to the first paragraph).

    We have no reason for you to stay, therefore we can't give you one. You have to stay (or go) on your own. Welcome to self-determination (to the second paragraph).
  13. #13  
    Hey just move on to the next gadget, put the Pre on Ebay. You will being doing this same rant with Android or another system six months from now. So spare us your rant and fade away.
  14. #14  
    Have you used Homebrew and patches? My phone went from good to great in like a day. A little patience... Or else, go get the next new shiny toy.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    people just dont understand its a brand new phone, brand new Os. it hasnt even been a year. After a year then we can talk out *****. Seriously we get update every month EVERY MONTH!!!! What phone or company do that? uhmmmmm im waiting????????? I help u out NONE. Do the math 1 year 12 updates, even if it comes to do,,, But I love my Pre
    Palm and Sprint came out of the gate talking smack. Now, you want everyone to give them a pass because the Pre is just a baby. "It's not even a year old, so don't expect too much out of it." That should make for a great ad.

    Updates? Really? It doesn't matter if there were updates every second. What matters is what is the state of the phone right now. One might argue that it has more updates than any other OS because it needs more updates than any other OS. Everything else has reached a high level of maturity in a very short time and does not need this constant tweaking to provide basic functions. I don't thing the multiple updates is a selling point in this case. All those updates and so little improvement.
  16. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And calm down , its only a phone.
    and do you respond that way to people who get overly excited over their pre?

    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but "its onl a phone" is such a stupid statement. A well made smartphone absolutely changes your life so why be so condescending? I find the pre to be incredible but it does fall short in so many categories that I can easily see how current pre users will move on and try something else next contract and its a real shame.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    My reasoning for more customers is someone needs to get them some cash.
    I'm very ignorant in this part.

    I need someone to give me a reason to stay. What you're saying makes a lot of sense but it's not the answer that I want, which is stay with the Pre.
    You need a reason to stay? Alright let me take a shot. Everyone hails the WebOS UI, and it is great, but that is not the greatest thing about the Pre.

    The coolest thing about the Pre is that it has the potential to make all your information flow together seamlessly. WebOS has not hardly scratched the surface in this regard. Imagine viewing your data like a web mashup. The potential is there, and as soon as Palm provides a way to access your data from any app (they just need a secure web services interface to the databases), the possibilities are endless. Palm can do this, and I believe it's the obvious way to go. They have to figure out how to deal with the speed issues, and they have to figure out how to make it secure, but it's achievable.

    How bout the hardware? There may be some quality issues, but the internals are top notch. There isn't a more powerful phone out right now. Once native code can run in WebOS, and Palm provides drivers for the GPU, no one will see the Pre hardware as slow.

    Yep, it will take more time. I am enjoying the ride along the way because I'm a geek. I think you should stay, but you need the right tool, so if the Pre isn't it, you should look elsewhere. But I think you should stay for the potential.
  18. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #18  
    Because it's only a phone.

    There is no perfect phone.

    There is no perfect carrier.

    How about instead of asking for someone to convince you, act like an adult, consider your needs, and pick the phone/carrier that best suits it. You know your needs. You know what is important to YOU. You know how reception of various carriers might be where you live.

    We don't.

    In 2 years your contract will be up and you will be picking again. Fork out anywhere between $75 and $350 and you can switch anytime. How important that $75 and $350 is depends on YOU, not how important that $75 and $350 or those features are to someone else.

    Do you ask passerby's in the grocery store which brand of cereal to buy?
  19. #19  
    Then again it's only a phone forum you took time to register and post on. Must be pretty important.

    Many on here have been Palm users for years. It's not as easy to simply disregard Palm and pick up a crappy android on Sprint or downgrade to a blackberry. 2nd half of 2010 before the Hero or Moment get an update to 2.0 and become barely usable?

    Pre isn't built very well but its not like there's a great alternative on Sprint...yet..
  20. #20  
    I like the simplicity of the Pre- that said- there's a TERRIBLE abundance of MISSING options that need fixing. You don't make a MS Exchange capable phone only to FORGET to include how to INVITE people to a calendared event.

    Not being able to support vcard and vcal send and receive on DAY 1 was an obvious note to how rushed this product OS was.

    I get envious looks from many iphone and blackberry users at my work of this do everything form factor - but I have to stop short because it DOESNT have the menu options of the iphone or the Exchange support of the blackberry.

    Every time I think of jumping to Android- I use one in store- and realize what a freaking MESS of confusion that OS is. It's windows w/ icons- no thank you. I love Web OS- but really need more menu options (landscape in all modes, scaling the screen option at ALL TIMES, font size and type options, and in the future, a bigger SCREEN - NOT BIGGER PHONE with gesture area removed (unnecessary) I'll be happy then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions