Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #1  
    Alright so we are all familier with ghost dialing. Making that 10 min call of you driving or in my case tonight washing some dishes. On my old Centro this was easily explained: hard keys + a resistive touch screen meant for lots of mistake calls. The Pre, however, does not have a hard button for making calls nor does it have a resistive touch screen. So why does my Pre (and my Wife's Pre) seem to ghost dial a lot? My Pre lives in a side loader pouch, hers in a purse. We both use the lock feature. Someone please shed some light on this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Alright so we are all familier with ghost dialing. Making that 10 min call of you driving or in my case tonight washing some dishes. On my old Centro this was easily explained: hard keys + a resistive touch screen meant for lots of mistake calls. The Pre, however, does not have a hard button for making calls nor does it have a resistive touch screen. So why does my Pre (and my Wife's Pre) seem to ghost dial a lot? My Pre lives in a side loader pouch, hers in a purse. We both use the lock feature. Someone please shed some light on this.
    Homeland security accessing your phone remotely and using it as a gps enabled wire tap that could ultimately be used to guide tomahawk missiles down your chimney.

    But seriously , that's messed up , how often does this happen ?
  3. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quite a bit for my wife, on occasion for me. The missile theory so far makes the most sense
  4. #4  
    I get "purse dialed" by my wife's Pre every once in a while. Still haven't figured that one out yet.
  5. #5  
    Well, I think the only way it's possible is if the phone is not off when you put it in the pouch. Sometimes you think it's off and it will turn back on. For example, when I use my BT headset, I'll often turn the screen off. When the call completes, the screen turns back on, and it's unlocked. So if you are putting it back in your case or purse during that time and not realizing it's on, you could hit the dial button pretty easily and redial the last number you called.

    The Pre also used to be unlocked the first time you turn it on after being plugged into the charger. So that could do it. I think this might have been fixed with 1.3.1, but I'm not sure about that.

    Pre also turns on and is unlocked when you pick it up from the Touchstone.

    If you're aware of these situations, they're pretty easy to avoid.
  6. Lemstil's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #6  
    Maybe ghost calls are result of this?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...re-anyone.html

    Do you have a case/holster with magnetic closure? Anything magnetic near the phone (backside)?
  7. #7  
    I have a case with magnetic latch and it never ghost dials ha ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #8  
    I've accidentally dialed "last number dialed" when fiddling with my BT. Possibly something there?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    Maybe ghost calls are result of this?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...re-anyone.html

    Do you have a case/holster with magnetic closure? Anything magnetic near the phone (backside)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I have a case with magnetic latch and it never ghost dials ha ha !
    My official Palm branded holster has a magnetic latch. Heck, the touchstone is magnetic. No issues with ghost dialing.

    I did have issues when I used the pin lock where the phone would call 911 every time I picket it up off the touchstone. No issues with that since I disabled the screen pin lock.
  10. gryn's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #10  
    A passcode should keep ghost at bay.
  11. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #11  
    Well would you look at that. It was the magnet. I just tested it over and over. If I tap my Pre at the lock screen with the back side of the magnet (that rubs against the screen quite often) it instantly unlocks it. Happened every time. I've set a single digit pin to fix it. Now if it'd only go to the pin screen right away instead of the unlock screen I'd b set.
  12. Lemstil's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #12  
    Okay, it's just what I noticed with my Pre. My theory was a latch magnet strong enough fools Pre as being taken off Touchstone. And as a result, being unlocked, anything could happen then, in the hands of an unwary user.
    The theory proved, right?
  13. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #13  
    Similar issue. I have accidentally called 4 or 5 people. Viewing contact info; it is intuitive to touch their number to edit or view and instead it just starts dialing.... A "Dial This Number?" confirmation would be nice.
  14. #14  
    Wow... I haven't had any ghost calls, but I just tested with a magnet, and sure enough it instantly unlocks with the slightest touch of a magnet, but only on the top left corner of the screen... I can run the magnet all over the rest of the screen and get nothing.

    That's farkin' weird. haha

Posting Permissions