Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just received the "Gifts for the naughty, nice, and everyone in between" sales e-blast from Sprint. The Pixi is front-and-center in the "For Power Users" section () but... Pre isn't even mentioned.

Perhaps with the economic climate they way it is, they are pushing the lower priced Pixi to drive sales?
    I don't think the economy has anything to do with it. The way to beat the economy is to sell lots of your flagship device like Verizon is doing with the Droid. This can't be a good sign. My guess is that sales of the device are just too low and they are looking for a winner for the holidays.
    I think Sprint is treating the combo of the Pre along with the Tour and Hero as their "flagship lineup".

Their holiday TV commercial showed as much.
    I'm giving up on my pre. The power button on the top quit working after 2 weeks. The slider is sloppy. And Now my space bar doesn't work correctly. Going to get a HTC hero this weekend.
    The Pre is a 6month old device, why would it still be in forefront of a new marketing campaign?

Droid is about a month old, and I am already seeing plenty of Verizon commercials that don't mention it. Does this mean that Verizon has given up on Droid? Of course not.
    We do not know churn numbers for Sprint with the Pre. If hardware problems are widespread enough, Sprint may want to steer new customers to something that is less likely to be returned in the first few days of ownership. This would change when the problems are addressed. Any of us can think of good reasons why Sprint may not be excited about the Pre. Rumor has been that it never lived up to sales expectations which seems most likely. It makes sense for them to try something different.
    I know that I wish I would have waited for the new android phones to come out before I bought my pre, never lived up to the hype imo..
    I got my holiday flyer from sprint and it only had Samsung devices listed.

I have an idea it is the manufacturers that pay for those, so it would make sense for Palm to have the Pixi front and centern
    the pre is mentioned at every football game in america lol sprint never gives up!! even tonight it will be plastered everywhere
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    I'm giving up on my pre. The power button on the top quit working after 2 weeks. The slider is sloppy. And Now my space bar doesn't work correctly. Going to get a HTC hero this weekend.
    Dont get the Hero dude. I work for Sprint and the keyboard sucks on the Hero. I really dont know why. Maybe a software update in the future will make it more responsive and accurate but honestly it sucks.
    Im a fan of on screen keyboards and have the virtual one on my Pre but the Heros keyboard is crap.

Overall its a good phone...but definitely does not beat the Pre.

If you must switch I would consider the Moment or TP 2.
    I think Sprint has given up on Palm lol I mean, they will continue to work with them but if they really thought the Pre was going to be huge success they would have done everything in their power to extend the exclusivity. Too many returns, swaps and even if the issue with the phone is not physical but mechanical, it still requires an exchange.

Palm carries three phones...the Treo Pro, Pixi and Pre. When you compare them to HTC, RIM, UTStarcom, Nokia and others...Palm is a disgrace for having too many issues with a small lineup. IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    I think Sprint has given up on Palm lol I mean, they will continue to work with them but if they really thought the Pre was going to be huge success they would have done everything in their power to extend the exclusivity. Too many returns, swaps and even if the issue with the phone is not physical but mechanical, it still requires an exchange.

Palm carries three phones...the Treo Pro, Pixi and Pre. When you compare them to HTC, RIM, UTStarcom, Nokia and others...Palm is a disgrace for having too many issues with a small lineup. IMHO.
    Agreed. Cost-cutting went too far for the Pre build quality. The next generation should have a bigger glass screen and just not feel so cheap overall. I'd go for a 3.2"-3.7" WebOS device though, so hopefully Palm follows through!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    Why would you get a Hero instead of a Moment? Just curious, I played with both, the Moment seems better overall. Neither is enough to get me to switch from my Pre though.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Why would you get a Hero instead of a Moment? Just curious, I played with both, the Moment seems better overall. Neither is enough to get me to switch from my Pre though.
    One word, Sense. And it will likely get updates much better. Even with the overhead of having to code it for Sense I bet they will come faster than the Moment. Samsung has a horrible reputation for releasing phones and then basically forgetting about them and moving on to their next project. I am thinking of picking up a Hero myself. I'll keep the Pre as well, the Hero will be on a second line.
    I've had the Hero and the moment and while both are better built quality then the Pre both phones pretty much suck in my opinion, I am now back on my PRE. Android is just not there yet in my opinion. At least not on those two phones.
    ^^I dont think Android is better than WebOS but I think its great...not as smooth as iphone OS or WebOS but it does what it says it does. As far as the applications for android, they nut on most Pre apps. I understand that the Mojo SDK released by Palm is crippled but the consumer is not going to wait...and Google is not slowing down either. Android should be interesting come 2010. WebOs..well I still have a lot of hope..but like I said "Palm is a disgrace".
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have had the Pre since the launch. The WebOS is nice but the overall quality on the Pre is not up to par. I am probrobly going to switch to the BB Tour 2 in June when I can upgrade. I mainly do texting and email.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have had the Pre since launch day and I must admit that the build quality is crap. I have had to do approximately 8 exchanges for both new and refurbished devices and my current Pre also has hardware issues. I have come to the conclusion that all of them have some kind of hardware definiencies. The reason I have stuck by the Pre is the UI. I switched over from a BB 8830 and never looked back. I don't think that Sprint has given up on the Pre just yet, but if it did, then it definitely shouldn't give up on WebOS.
    I've had my Pre now for about 5 months now, and from my view, the design was "Cool" with the slide out keyboard, however it has made the quality perception lower because of all of the "Oreo" effect I keep hearing about. My Pre, however has not had too much of that effect, however it has loosened a bit. The mini-USB cover initially seemed to be a pain and I would have rather had done without it. The cover does make it look cleaner, however if they just framed the plastic around the metal, it would have been perfectly fine for me and no one would have complained that the cover falls off. As far as the WebOS is concerned, I think Palm's done a great job with it so far, the guys like Jason has made it so much more functional, however it still has some improvement needed in speed and there needs to be more productive apps released in the future. This device should be able to replace your laptop for the road warriors. So it means you need the "office" docs. Google docs doesn't work yet and DataVis's documents to go isn't released yet either. There is no access at this point to browse your file system from the browser to download or upload files. You've got to use the built in FTPs for that. We also need a file compression/archive program which supports security encryption.

With all of these limitations, still the WebOS is a great start in my opinion. I love the ability to synergize the contacts from all of my online contact databases like linkedin, Facebook, MS Exchange Server, Google Contact, etc. This makes my life easier as I don't have to now contact everyone to have them send me their contact information. They just need to keep their Facebook or Linkedin account updated and allow me to see the info. The same goes for calendaring and the ability to pull all of the calendars into one view. I wish my work MS Outlook could do what WebOS's calendar can do.
    I was not a texter before, however I use this much more, thanks to Sprint's unlimited texting and the fact that it's integrated with the contacts.

Google Maps still is a big winner as I use it for so many things when I'm in the car. Near time traffic, directions, searching for locations of places I need to go to or find in a pinch.

WebBrowser is fairly fast and supports most sites well enough. It however needs some more improvements.

Camera is fair and needs a better flash as indoor pics don't seem to be bright enough for the camera's sensor and would be nice if it had a zoom feature. Video is coming soon! I just hope we can preview the view from the screen like a camera does. I'm sure this will be soon as people are working on that as we speak.

Music (Remix) player is awesome! Improvements could be to add an equalizer on it and to be able to support videos, so we can just get rid of the video player. (call it Media Player (Remix)).

Weather apps work decenly well. I haven't found one which I'm stuck on. I use Accuweather and Weather.com's versions.

Net2stream is a nice streaming application, though this could also be integrated into Media Player.

Clock is very useful. I love the fact that you can set multiple alarms and name it what ever you want with the re-occuring feature of Daily, Weekdays, Weekends etc) Only other suggestion to be added is ring on a specific day of the week. The ringer tone selection is also a great feature for different notifications. Oh yeah. one last suggestion to build in the clock is to have a count down timer set up (one we can use for cooking!! as a reminder)

Those are the apps I use today.. I have a launch page for all of my homebrew tweaks, one for games, one for (fast dialers, facebook apps, phone utilities like gdial, visual voicemail) ; one for the basic apps I use all of the time which I described up above, one for the Sprint stuff, doc view, pdf view, palm reader, calculator, and the last page for the system stuff (pretty much default stuff).

Bottom line, it's getting there, slowly but surely.
    I think Palm needs to have a web site for communication and collaboration on user needs for the WebOS, Killer Apps needed, and one for apps... PreCentral does a good job of this, however, I'm not sure it's too easy to read for the palm folks as well as they don't reply as an official palm employee here. Is there a site for this on palm's website? If not they need one.

Sprint needs to keep the faith on the Palm Pre and WebOS. More importantly WebOS. The big question is can WebOS work on other platforms, which is not sold by Palm? Let's say a Chinese manufacture wants to produce a clone of Motorola's droid or HTC's Hero, Apple's Iphone., since they all use similar processors, graphic processors, etc... would WebOS work on them with a few customizations? (drivers?) Food for thought!
    Last edited by bobwonderful; 12/11/2009 at 09:45 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast