Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What I dont get is the lack of advertising. We had the creepy palm girl, and that is pretty much it... You see verizon ripping on at&t. And you see all the droid adds and what they can do, but never anything to show webos. Which pretty much does run circles around all other OS. Yeah we are light on the good apps, but they are coming... The webos is such a step above most and most the world has no clue about it... Thats why they can't sell them... You have to market a phone to make it a hit. And that is where sprint had dropped the ball... I have had 3 iphone uses switch, just by playing with my Pre for less than 5 minutes...
    I noticed the ad change too. By the way, I've had the same Pre since week 1 and it is still working fine. I'm very happy with it. I had the Treo 755 which annoyed me DAILY so I am really happy with the Pre. I hope they keep it up. My wife recently got the Pixi to replace her Cento and she likes it too.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    I'm giving up on my pre. The power button on the top quit working after 2 weeks. The slider is sloppy. And Now my space bar doesn't work correctly. Going to get a HTC hero this weekend.
    You got a bad unit and didn't take it back?

It's hard to be sympathetic when you didn't exercise your available rights and options. Hopefully, your Hero is a good unit or you'll be switching to the Storm 2 in a little while.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I keep seeing holiday sprint ads that show the pre, hero, and bb tour at the end. obviously not a pre commercial still has it in the ad. dont think they are necessarily ignoring the pre
    The pixi is the best bang for the buck and is more sturdy than the pre so they wonts send as much for warranty work as the pre. Or the fact its the newness now.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    Dont get the Hero dude. I work for Sprint and the keyboard sucks on the Hero. I really dont know why. Maybe a software update in the future will make it more responsive and accurate but honestly it sucks.
    Im a fan of on screen keyboards and have the virtual one on my Pre but the Heros keyboard is crap.

Overall its a good phone...but definitely does not beat the Pre.

If you must switch I would consider the Moment or TP 2.
    Did you try calibrating the keyboard on the Hero? That was most likely the problem. And yeah, it does beat the Pre. I'd recommend the Moment or TP2 ONLY if you desire a brick over something slimmer.
    ^^Yes that was the first thing I did but its still crap. I thought it may have been our demo but no, I experienced the same issue with all of 'em.
    I type rather quickly on virtual keyboards and several people have returned the Hero because according to them 'the keyboard doesn't keep up'.

Besides that the phone is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    Dont get the Hero dude. I work for Sprint and the keyboard sucks on the Hero. I really dont know why. Maybe a software update in the future will make it more responsive and accurate but honestly it sucks.
    Im a fan of on screen keyboards and have the virtual one on my Pre but the Heros keyboard is crap.

Overall its a good phone...but definitely does not beat the Pre.

If you must switch I would consider the Moment or TP 2.
    I have to disagree with you. I put up with so much crap from the Pre's that I went through over 6 months that I went to the Hero. I couldn't be happier. The Hero is great, Andriod is amazing, and as far as the keyboard, I love it. I do miss the Pre's physical keyboard, but I can do without. It's Hero for me. Palm failed with the Pre IMO.
    I'm sure Palm historians remember when Palm released the Centro and practically abandoned the 755p users in advertising, updates and support for the cheaper device...

I wouldn't exactly call this out of ordinary Palm procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    I have to disagree with you. .
    Well I and everyone who has returned or exchanged that phone disagree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I'm sure Palm historians remember when Palm released the Centro and practically abandoned the 755p users in advertising, updates and support for the cheaper device...

I wouldn't exactly call this out of ordinary Palm procedure.
    The Centro may have been smaller and cheaper than the 755p Treo but it wasn't less powerful, nor did it have less features. It was just the same phone in a smaller package.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I've had my Pre now for about 5 months now, and from my view, the design was "Cool" with the slide out keyboard, however it has made the quality perception lower because of all of the "Oreo" effect I keep hearing about.
    it's called the "internet echo chamber" effect. A few vocal whiners on a webforum are usually not representative of all buyers of a product. I seem to recall that Sprint had a press release saying that the Pre was one of their best launches and the return rate wasn't anything out of the ordinary compared to their other phones.
    My Pre, however has not had too much of that effect, however it has loosened a bit.
    I've had mine since June and it's been trouble free since the day I got it. It must be doing ok based on this article

http://www.precentral.net/pre-moving...tphone-q3-2009
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The Pre get's lots of face time. It's featured in most (not all) of the Sprint commercials, especially those concerning Anymobile, Anytime. The Pixi from what I've seen just has the official Palm version of it's commercial.

Sprint has to try and appeal to everyone and the best way to do that is to show off as many different phones and as many different places as possible! No worries.. much <3 for the Pre.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    My local SPrint store says that the Palm Pre is still one of their most popular phones, prbably next to the Hero.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    My local SPrint store says that the Palm Pre is still one of their most popular phones, prbably next to the Hero.
    A lot of the store props and videos playing on the monitors at my Sprint Store are all centered around the Pre. I'd have to say it's definitely their most popular phone. They seem to be using it to represent their network.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    The Pre get's lots of face time. It's featured in most (not all) of the Sprint commercials, especially those concerning Anymobile, Anytime. The Pixi from what I've seen just has the official Palm version of it's commercial.

Sprint has to try and appeal to everyone and the best way to do that is to show off as many different phones and as many different places as possible! No worries.. much <3 for the Pre.
    Maybe it's a market-to-market thing. Here in Los Angeles -- or at least the Westwood/WLA area -- I see the "Give fun. Get Fun." Pixi ad campaign plastered everywhere. And the only Sprint commercials I've seen on local stations, for maybe the last 10 days, are the Pixi spots with the screechy/catchy "Pixie song." Pre... nada. That's what got me wondering if Sprint is stepping away from it.
    Something that's always caught my attention is the fact that the Pre's advertising, while not necessarily nonexistent, could certainly have been more widespread.

From what I've been able to tell they've limited themselves to TV commercials and the inside of Sprint stores. I'm someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV, and I have no reason to walk into a Sprint store except when I have a problem with my phone.

What I've also noticed as of late is that where I live there's advertising all over the place for the Google MyTouch. I quite literally cannot drive around without seeing at least 3 ads for it. There's also a few ads around here for some Samsung phone (the Holic, I think?).

It wasn't until about a month or two ago that I actually saw other people besides me with Pres. It used to be that whenever people saw my phone they would rave about how cool it is and how they wish they had it. Nowadays I talk to anyone that's on Sprint and if they're gonna change to something, it's either to a Hero or a Pixi.

I love my Pre. I'm in no position to declare whether or not Sprint has given up on it, but I certainly haven't!
    Has Sprint given up? No, probably not, but I know of at least 1 Sprint store that basically has(the flagship store in my area). While I was going through my ordeal with the 7 Pre's, the store manager I was dealing with had nothing good to say about the phone. He said that he's required to use it for around another 90-100 days, and then he can't wait to get back to his Blackberry. He mentioned that even the in store Palm Rep generally avoided people when they were looking at the Pre, she'd always wander off, and wasn't interested in general with trying to push the phone. I know this is all circumstantial, and none of you have to believe me(and quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether you do or not), but it's relevant to this discussion, so I'm putting it out there. The Pre is a flawed product, has been a pretty failed launch(and I would have defended it a few months ago, and did on many occasions), and the sad thing is, there are still people defending it, as if they have some sort of stake in this failure, and want to prevent it at all costs. All the cards are stacked against Palm right now, and unless the Pixi is just an enormous success, or they have some kind of updated hardware Pre, they aren't going to dig out of this hole they've gotten themselves into. This was my first Palm device, and unless they fix the hardware aspect of things, and really work out the software, it'll likely be my last.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdHerald View Post
    I noticed the ad change too. By the way, I've had the same Pre since week 1 and it is still working fine. I'm very happy with it. I had the Treo 755 which annoyed me DAILY so I am really happy with the Pre. I hope they keep it up. My wife recently got the Pixi to replace her Cento and she likes it too.

Just my $0.02.
    I love webOS, and I love my service with Sprint.

My 12 year old daughter adores her Pixi , and my 17 year old son loves his Pre even with having had it replaced so much.

I do NOT love the fact that my phone has cracks at every corner of the screen, and a crack from the usb port almost to the pixel area on the screen.

I do NOT love the fact that the service centers here absolutely insist that I've damaged my phone by running over it (actual comment by a tech), or that it's due to the leather case that I bought on June 6th when I bought my Pre...

Oh and when I call the insurance they tell me it's only 40% likely I'd get a Pre. I'm more likely to get a Pixi, or a Blackberry. Which oddly enough I thought violated the agreement since it has to be equal or greater value...

Yes I'm ready for a better build Pre. I'll pay full retail for it if it came out tomorrow as well. Hell I'd buy two just to get my wife off her Blackberry. How about webOS on an iPhone with a landscape slider? Anyone with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    I love webOS, and I love my service with Sprint.

My 12 year old daughter adores her Pixi , and my 17 year old son loves his Pre even with having had it replaced so much.

I do NOT love the fact that my phone has cracks at every corner of the screen, and a crack from the usb port almost to the pixel area on the screen.

I do NOT love the fact that the service centers here absolutely insist that I've damaged my phone by running over it (actual comment by a tech), or that it's due to the leather case that I bought on June 6th when I bought my Pre...

Oh and when I call the insurance they tell me it's only 40% likely I'd get a Pre. I'm more likely to get a Pixi, or a Blackberry. Which oddly enough I thought violated the agreement since it has to be equal or greater value...

Yes I'm ready for a better build Pre. I'll pay full retail for it if it came out tomorrow as well. Hell I'd buy two just to get my wife off her Blackberry. How about webOS on an iPhone with a landscape slider? Anyone with me?
    No, the only phones you can get from Asurion are a Pre, or a lesser phone that's not one of the newest 6 phones Sprint has released. I already tried to go that route.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast