Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found a article on phonedog that makes some good points... Im thinking we can use some educated discussion around here... Other then the typical palm pre sucks threads etc... This article talks about why palms os should be on top right now..

The Best: Why Palm's WebOS is the best mobile operating system - PhoneDog Cell Phone News & Articles

I think the article makes a good point here because I have heard people saying why would palm lock in exclusivley with sprint knowing they need to sell phones? This paragraph gives some good reasoning as to why they may have chosen that route:

"Maybe Palm's taking a page from Google's playbook with their WebOS strategy. At this point I'm pretty convinced that Google knew exactly what they were doing in going with the nation's smallest Big Carrier for the first year (give or take) of Android's life. T-Mobile got a boost from an exclusive on "The Google Phone." Google got the chance to sell what amounted to Beta hardware and software in the G1 handset running Android OS 1.x - and they got to do it without the consumer and shareholder scrutiny that would have come had they immediately jumped into bed with Verizon to take on AT&T's iPhone. Android 1.x was not a fully polished consumer product, and everyone who bought a G1 was (or should have been) cool with that. G1 owners got to enjoy the benefits of being early adopters without the early adopter tax, thanks to T-Mo's industry-best smartphone rate plan pricing.

So perhaps that's what Palm's been up to in keeping WebOS 1.x devices on Sprint. Sprint's a solid carrier with excellent pricing, but they lack the subscriber volume and consumer mindshare of the US' top two carriers. An exclusive with Sprint let Palm get WebOS out into the hands of consumers and influencers, and let Palm work out some kinks, court developers and get a few hardware designs into the marketplace without the sink-or-swim pressure of sitting next to iPhone in an AT&T store."

So my question to you all is if you were palm's Ceo what are some things that you may have done differently?
    3 month exclusivity only, and then go on to the next carrier.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    3 month exclusivity only, and then go on to the next carrier.
    Palm would of been killed in the market
    This article and the Op make good points if they would have jump on big blue or red within a month they would be just another phone
    With Sprint the pre is flagship status
    enabled the gpu from the start and opened up all of the sdk added voice dialing
    That is an interesting idea, and makes a lot of sense. It's win-win, really. Get the phone out there, get Sprint helping market it, etc. Plus Sprint has good data plan packages (from what I can tell - I am a Canuck and on Bell). In order to get enough mindshare to have the market even evaluate the phone, as opposed to getting lost in the sea of phones, you need some focus. Locking in provides that.

That being said, maybe a GSM phone would have been a better choice to start? Also, I think that I might have had some really slick apps that I would have held back and added as a "cool update" to keep momentum.

I'd also be more obvious about supporting the various patches, themes, etc. A lot of people feel that the patches are "hacks" or something dangerous, when the design of the phone is meant to allow such things. In fact, they should have hosted their own tweaks/themes site (with all disclaimers) to show that they are more supportive of the effort and help to foster the community. I realize that some of the other capabilities would be frowned upon, but might still exist at places like PreCentral. But the tweak to allow 4 x 4 icons on the launcher? Themes? Enabling landscape? That stuff is certainly safe and supporting it would still help the people working on other tweaks as well.

And the biggest mistake (strategy wise - let's not get into technical issues and rants of hardware or quality) I think was the marketing. I stumbled across the phone, got one at launch in Canada, but I have to be on Bell, and the other phones there suck. So, it was BB or Pre. Now there are others (iPhone, etc) but still the options are not that wide. So I had little choice and hadn't even seen an ad.

I think the advertising messages are too complicated, there's that creepy Pre lady, and just in general not enough impact. A whole "what is the Pre?" kind of thing (like the Matrix or Segue or whatever) might have gotten the interest of more people. And, to be honest, the people that are aware of the beauty of WebOS are more technical the the middle ground it was targeted at.

I'd be spending my money on two things now - better marketing and supporting the community. (As well as cranking out the quality updates. )
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    enabled the gpu from the start and opened up all of the sdk added voice dialing
    I don't think they were able 2 and just asking would you suggest they waited till they were knowing they just got the gpu guy 1 month or 2 ago?
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I would have released Pre with improved hardware (back cover , casing , bigger battery , slider feature).
    I would have made a beefier Pixi ( little larger screen, wifi, bigger processor).

And
    I would release a HD2 type of phone in January (heck , why not HD2 itself) with WebOS.
    Wow, I don't say this all that often, but I agree with almost everything that the writer of the article says in that.

Though for me personally, Sprint and the form factor aren't negative factors, but I definitely agree that they can be for many others.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    wait a sec,
    Isn't Ruby smarter than us the forum members ?
    I'm pretty much 100 percent where Noah from PhoneDog is, and that's why the Pre isn't my everyday device anymore either.

I think we've gone through the "What Palm should do or should've done" discussions a bunch of times. It seems apparent now that they are capable of robust "multitasking" even though their OS is.

So in that spirit...

...what Palm should do differently is (in chronological order)

1. Put out a firmware update incorporating the most stable and popular Preware patches along with that app limit removal. This should be done concurrently with number two, which is...
    2. Relaunch the app store with a NON-BETA slightly revamped interface, new version of the Facebook app, and some Palm-coded version of simple brand name interfaces like Netflix, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Should be doable, even with their current manpower.
    3. Fix the SDK so that it's easy for developers to add sounds, get access to the mic and camera, and get access to some data.
    4. Tease, then announce a new top-tier handset with a 3.5-3.7-inch OLED and/or 800x400 resolution. NO slider. No keyboard. Video recording (which will be made available to Pre and Pixi via update).

Good for a start. But don't let the article fool you: Android may have started shakily as well, but they had multiple manufacturers and a full SDK lined up very early on. Palm doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    I'd also be more obvious about supporting the various patches, themes, etc. A lot of people feel that the patches are "hacks" or something dangerous, when the design of the phone is meant to allow such things. In fact, they should have hosted their own tweaks/themes site (with all disclaimers) to show that they are more supportive of the effort and help to foster the community. I realize that some of the other capabilities would be frowned upon, but might still exist at places like PreCentral. But the tweak to allow 4 x 4 icons on the launcher? Themes? Enabling landscape? That stuff is certainly safe and supporting it would still help the people working on other tweaks as well.
    Really interesting perspective. Overtly embracing WebOS Internals, etc., in a public way (make some ads, etc.) would have been (would be?) a really cool way to brand the phone as something really new . . . that ad would write itself, actually . . .
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm pretty much 100 percent where Noah from PhoneDog is, and that's why the Pre isn't my everyday device anymore either.

I think we've gone through the "What Palm should do or should've done" discussions a bunch of times. It seems apparent now that they are capable of robust "multitasking" even though their OS is.

So in that spirit...

1. Put out a firmware update incorporating the most stable and popular Preware patches along with that app limit removal. This should be done concurrently with number two, which is...
    2. Relaunch the app store with a NON-BETA slightly revamped interface, new version of the Facebook app, and some Palm-coded version of simple brand name interfaces like Netflix, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Should be doable, even with their current manpower.
    3. Fix the SDK so that it's easy for developers to add sounds, get access to the mic and camera, and get access to some data.
    4. Tease, then announce a new top-tier handset with a 3.5-3.7-inch OLED and/or 800x400 resolution. NO slider. No keyboard. Video recording (which will be made available to Pre and Pixi via update).

Good for a start. But don't let the article fool you: Android may have started shakily as well, but they had multiple manufacturers and a full SDK lined up very early on. Palm doesn't.

Could not have said it better myself. I completely agree
  13.    #13  

So in that spirit...

This is a direction in which I agree... Alot of patches need to be incorperated in a firmware update... I also think a SDK is very important... It is keeping our phone very limited... basically crippling our apps.

Someone also mentioned marketing for the pre... It was horrible... That lady freaked me out more then Jason and his hockey mask... I mean look at the hype the droids marketing has done for it... Whoever is behind verizons marketing is a genious between droid commercials and verizon vs. Att adds.. At least they have turned it around for the pixi... The new commercial is 10 times better...

So in that spirit...

I think its no secret that Palm needs to make the Pre live up to its name and introduce a new form factor. Like that author said, webOS is brilliant. WebOS on a top tier handset is a nobrainer. The 3 most popular form factors are a slab, a landscape slider, or a candybar with qwerty kb (pixi). The Pre isn't one of them.

With the Droid out, Apple likely to do a similar upgrade, and HTC's upcoming Passion, these 3.5-3.7 inch high rez glass screens are not an option for Palm but a must. And sooner than later, Palm shouldn't wait to be the last one.

Even beyond that, there's room for a Pixi pro. I'm not sure i'd even worry about the Pre anymore in terms of designing a Pre II.

With the ex apple blood at Palm, one has to think Palm is holding back on updates for a 2.x splash. The only way to maximize the impact of a 2.x update is through a new device which one would really hope is not a redesigned Pre.

Even doing all this, Palm needs a new marketing director badly.
    Sprint should have done a better test on the Pre & make Palm make some slight improvements. #1 signal issue. #2 slow evdo (can't play youtube or load googlemaps quickly) #3 make it more sensitive (it currently takes 2+ taps on the screen to do things) #4 include visual voicemail #5 make googlemaps better
    #6 have a facebook Im #7 camcorder #8 voice command/memo .......
    The one and only BIG thing to change would have been the advertising campaign. The Pre generated so much buzz, then didn't show off anything cool about the phone in the ads. Atleast the newest Pixi ads (my opinion) are great.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    Sprint should have done a better test on the Pre & make Palm make some slight improvements. #1 signal issue. #2 slow evdo (can't play youtube or load googlemaps quickly) #3 make it more sensitive (it currently takes 2+ taps on the screen to do things) #4 include visual voicemail #5 make googlemaps better
    #6 have a facebook Im #7 camcorder #8 voice command/memo .......
    Just to touch on #1 I dont think its sprint.. I think it has to do with the new update.. Before 1.3.1 Youtube worked fine for me and now its horrible.. It restarts sometimes and sometimes is soooo slow I cant even watch the video..
    There's no doubt that all of those issues should be fixed ASAP. But let's think logically for a second. Palm hasn't made profits for the last few years. This is why most of these things aren't fixed by now. Money is what you use to buy software developers' talents. THEY DON'T HAVE MONEY!
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    T
    Someone also mentioned marketing for the pre... It was horrible... That lady freaked me out more then Jason and his hockey mask... I mean look at the hype the droids marketing has done for it... Whoever is behind verizons marketing is a genious between droid commercials and verizon vs. Att adds.. At least they have turned it around for the pixi... The new commercial is 10 times better...
    yeah... Even though I don't want a Droid, I catch myself saying it when the commercial is on. Anyone else notice that the name is licensed from LucasArts? It's on the bottom of the screen during the ad.

So in that spirit...

I think a lot of what you said is coming and will be announced at CES 2010. That is my hunch. Palm watches this forum; their head of customer relations has even posted here. I am not sure what the new device will look like, but I bet it is coming out in ~6 months.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast