Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    Sprint should have done a better test on the Pre & make Palm make some slight improvements. #1 signal issue. #2 slow evdo (can't play youtube or load googlemaps quickly) #3 make it more sensitive (it currently takes 2+ taps on the screen to do things) #4 include visual voicemail #5 make googlemaps better
    #6 have a facebook Im #7 camcorder #8 voice command/memo .......
    Interesting... A lot of that is Sprint, I guess. Signal issues for sure. And the EVDO speeds. (Neither of which I see, although I'm on Bell in Canada). I sometimes notice the sensitivity thing, but not very often. Usually I tap once (unless I jump the gun while it's still loading) and it works. I did that more at first when I was using the side of my finger as opposed the the pad.

Isn't Visual Voice Mail a carrier thing too? And Google maps is a google thing (which I hope they keep improving but I think it's pretty good now).

The last three are nice to have things, although I really don't think that Facebook IM would impact sales that much. Camcorder and voice command (dialing, at least) might, though.

So, by my count, you think that Sprint has been the biggest mistake, as opposed to something Palm could have done (other than choose another carrier).
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think a lot of what you said is coming and will be announced at CES 2010. That is my hunch. Palm watches this forum; their head of customer relations has even posted here. I am not sure what the new device will look like, but I bet it is coming out in ~6 months.
    And then another 6 months (plus) before it makes good on its promises or fully utilizes all its hardware?

Hi2U2011
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/15/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Interesting... A lot of that is Sprint, I guess. Signal issues for sure. And the EVDO speeds. (Neither of which I see, although I'm on Bell in Canada). I sometimes notice the sensitivity thing, but not very often. Usually I tap once (unless I jump the gun while it's still loading) and it works. I did that more at first when I was using the side of my finger as opposed the the pad.
    It's not Sprint and is definitely the Pre. I have a Pre and Hero. The Pre will have signal issues frequently (cycling in/out of EDVO or not connecting) while the Hero (sitting right next to it) will work perfectly. My wife's Pre also does the same thing. The Hero has rock solid EDVO and call signal. And I have experienced this in multiple cities/states so it is also not related to the local towers. Until I had the Hero to compare on a daily basis, I thought it was related to Sprint/local towers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The 3 most popular form factors are a slab, a landscape slider, or a candybar with qwerty kb (pixi). The Pre isn't one of them.
    It may not be "popular," but I love the portrait slider form factor of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarDestroyer View Post
    I much prefer vertical slider over landscape.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

...what Palm should do differently is (in chronological order)

1. Put out a firmware update incorporating the most stable and popular Preware patches along with that app limit removal. This should be done concurrently with number two, which is...
    2. Relaunch the app store with a NON-BETA slightly revamped interface, new version of the Facebook app, and some Palm-coded version of simple brand name interfaces like Netflix, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Should be doable, even with their current manpower.
    3. Fix the SDK so that it's easy for developers to add sounds, get access to the mic and camera, and get access to some data.
    4. Tease, then announce a new top-tier handset with a 3.5-3.7-inch OLED and/or 800x400 resolution. NO slider. No keyboard. Video recording (which will be made available to Pre and Pixi via update).
    I hope you are right come Jan 7th 2010.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    There's no doubt that all of those issues should be fixed ASAP. But let's think logically for a second. Palm hasn't made profits for the last few years. This is why most of these things aren't fixed by now. Money is what you use to buy software developers' talents. THEY DON'T HAVE MONEY!
    Thats another point that people forget about when comparing it to android, apple, rim etc... They have no where near the money that those companies have... maybe if we all donate a dollar it will help.. lol
    Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    I would have released the Pre with Grade-A build quality. One of my biggest gripes of the Pre is that there are SOOO many other phones out there that feel "wealthy"...they feel like the money you spent on them. The Pre doesnt. The feel of the Pre is cheap...the insides of the phone are amazing but it doesnt have the sturdy, robust feel as other smart phones.

And I would have put the Pixi out with the same specs as the Pre or better. Why downgrade? We are trying to take the market over...give a phone with the same amazing qualities in a different form. Dont back-track.
    it's not sprint. Ive had them a long time and many phones through them, and my pre has to stay on roam for me to have signal at home.

also, they should be open about homebrew, i read reviews at the app store, (like the keyboard there) and it is amazing, the amount of people that have no idea about this pre movement here. i think they need to roll the dice and start moving fast. with all the chatter of them getting bought eventually, it makes me wonder if they aren't dragging their feet intentionally to save money, in case they do have to sell. it could be a great device, but, alot of things coulda.
    man, the form factor is one of the HUGE pluses I have for the pre. all the other smartphones are gigantic. The HTC hero is about the best non-keyboard form factor out there to me. even it could be a little shorter.

the pixi is interesting, a bit long, but veyr thin, and an awesome keyboard. just.. screen is a bit too small. I think they could have shrunk the gesture area a little for more screen space. and maybe the whole device down some, too.
    yeah, its size is all that has kept me with it. i think the design was dead on, the hardware itself could of been better.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I think the article is pretty much on. I bought the Pre in spite of the slider, mini-keyboard, small display and even switched over to Sprint against my natural instincts.

I think that the Pre has done relatively well given all the things going against it. I have to wonder how many people would have gone with a Pixi Pro on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Ditto. It looks and feels great in your hand when talking on the phone and when "jamming out e-mails". I don't believe for a minute that Palm will release a phone sans keyboard. If they do, I might as well move to the iPhone...
    Microphone access. You'd think they would have had that in the initial release. That's just one of many necessary improvements I hope to see in 2010. But by the time Palm gets around to those improvements, Android and Iphone will have a whole new set of innovations and it will be an eternal game of catch-up for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    Sprint should have done a better test on the Pre & make Palm make some slight improvements. #1 signal issue. #2 slow evdo (can't play youtube or load googlemaps quickly) #3 make it more sensitive (it currently takes 2+ taps on the screen to do things) #4 include visual voicemail #5 make googlemaps better
    #6 have a facebook Im #7 camcorder #8 voice command/memo .......
    Totally agree... These are the simple things in life and the PrPrPr&#$275$; $lacks$ $all$ $of$ $them$.

If you want to go up against the big boys, you had better bring your best game.

Palm didn't.

This is not difficult to figure out. Palm didn't put out a beta product, it released an unfinished alpha.

Palm should be ashamed.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Microphone access. You'd think they would have had that in the initial release. That's just one of many necessary improvements I hope to see in 2010. But by the time Palm gets around to those improvements, Android and Iphone will have a whole new set of innovations and it will be an eternal game of catch-up for Palm.
    I definitely agree... I like webos but they are taking really long for some basic things and they don't really have to time to take long... Engadget already has stated apple is working on the next iphone and with android coming out with the sony ericsson x10 and bravo palm may be in trouble.. I mean those 2 android phones are supposed to have the new snapdragon processors..
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Totally agree... These are the simple things in life and the PrPrPr&#$275$; $lacks$ $all$ $of$ $them$.

This is not difficult to figure out. Palm didn't put out a beta product, it released an unfinished alpha........
    100% agree.
    In addition, these 3 things should be taken care of, in this order:

#1- Fix the damn lag, all across the board. What good is having a 12 cylinder engine if you can only sputter around on three?
    #2- ALLOW THE DEVS THE ACCESS THEY NEED TO MAKE APPS THAT WOULD MAKE THIS 'SMARTPHONE', SMART.
    FUNCTIONFUNCTIONFUNCTION
    A pretty body with no brains only goes so far.
    #3- Physical build quality in future devices. If we wanted to carry an egg around with us all day long, we would've.
    #4- Did I mention function enhancing apps? You know, real ones besides the barely three or four we have now?
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 12/16/2009 at 08:45 AM.
    For the record, the form factor and portrait slider are one of the reasons I got the Pre. I like that I can throw it in my front pocket, or the small arm pocket in my jacket. The iPhone is too big, and I wanted a real keyboard. I think the Pre is still a really sexy phone. Almost too slick stock, though. I like the Touchstone back on it better (for feel).
    Wow, I really think this sums up the WebOS as it stands right now perfectly:

WebOS is the best example of a consumer-friendly, geek-approved mobile OS in the market today. It just needs more of everything to really have a shot at greatness: More apps, more customization options, more (and more robust) hardware, and more network subscribers with a Palm handset amongst their carrier subsidized options.
    +1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12