Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Same issue here in the states.
    Folks think they should get iPhone if the price is the same.
    It will be a long battle for PALM.
    One more year and one more "solid" handset using WebOS will get
    PALM in the minds of mainstream customers.
    The messy app catalog situation abroad can't be helping either. Palm probably needs to get that straightened out immediately. That, and a price cut, should help clear all that unsold stock laying around.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quotes from Jpasint link:

"Palm is a classic example of too little, too late. Its webOS is great. But so is Android, iPhone OS, Windows Mobile and even [Research in Motion's] OS"

this statement is wrong in so many ways.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Having more returns should be a concern as well. Perhaps Palm should drop the Pre form factor and stick with the Pixi and a landscape slider..more traditional form factors..while they evolve webOS.

Keep producing the Pre if its feasible but don't do a Pre 2. Only Palm really knows that answer..
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Fool ?
    Hmm, I am afraid to say they are "FOOLS".
    I stopped reading them about 5 years back.

They do some good analysis, but sorry, the moment they said
    WebOS is too little and too late ,I thought they didn't know
    what they are talking about.

Come December 17th , We will see some numbers from PALM.
    Which will prove that the strategy is working though iPhone like
    success is wishful thinking.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Having more returns should be a concern as well. Perhaps Palm should drop the Pre form factor and stick with the Pixi and a landscape slider..more traditional form factors..while they evolve webOS.

Keep producing the Pre if its feasible but don't do a Pre 2. Only Palm really knows that answer..
    EGG-ZAGG-TEA-LEE

Throw in a HD2 form factor with no physical keyboard.
    drama! Same mag says consumers "stay away from google and don't get android either" In the articule an O2 spokesperson contradicted the "extra training" part of the articule. As a ATT sales agent I know that its common to get refresher training....every few months or so we go over the iphone...what's that mean? Try not to read tea leafs or chicken bones..the fact that palm is still selling phones, and coming out with new models... must tell us something right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    the fact that palm is still selling phones, and coming out with new models... must tell us something right?
    That they're phone manufacturers. That's about all those two things tell us.

Whatever you think of the article, they get actual quotes from relevant persons like:

"We have sold 20 times more [iPhones than Palm Pre handsets]. The iPhone is a more established brand and there has been more advertising. They are both good handsets but, with such a small price difference, customers take the view they might as well go for the iPhone."

I don't think you just shrug that off. It's prudent to sit down and say "Ok, iPhone is the industry leader and a monster brand, but what are we not doing right that can help remedy this somewhat?"

As I said, the app catalog situation is a mess pretty much everywhere but the US. That may be a good place to start.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    until o2 stores stop pushing the iphone then they dont have a chance selling pres, thats the issue ive seen over and over again.
    I would say the pre is far easier to use than the iphone for anyone just moving into the smartphone market or just looking for a nice looking phone with good features( a matter of personal opinion of course) but for anyone already familiar with smartphones then the pre is a big turn off as the app catalogue in europe is virtually useless and palm have not stated when they will sort the problem out, if ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    until o2 stores stop pushing the iphone then they dont have a chance selling pres, thats the issue ive seen over and over again.
    Why would O2 stop pushing the iPhone? they just want to sell contracts. OTOH Why would someone pick the Pre over the iPhone when the network is the same, the service is the same and the price is almost the same. The Apple brand is huge in the UK (the New York Apple stores are a tourist favorite) but the Palm brand was always much weaker than it is in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Quotes from Jpasint link:

"Palm is a classic example of too little, too late. Its webOS is great. But so is Android, iPhone OS, Windows Mobile and even [Research in Motion's] OS"

this statement is wrong in so many ways.
    The full quote is

"Palm is a classic example of too little, too late. Its webOS is great. But so is Android, iPhone OS, Windows Mobile and even [Research In Motion's] OS. WebOS has some advantages (multitasking for example) but that isn't going to be enough to convince a critical mass of people to (a) buy into a new OS thereby abandoning whatever OS they have been using, and (b) buy into a failing wireless data operator"

It is wrong in at least a couple of ways. It suggests that Window Mobile is a stronger OS than RIM's. I don't agree and I don't think the rest of the smartphone market does either. It also suggests that WebOS is the only OS that supports multitasking when in fact they all do to some degree though Apple restricts third party apps from running in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    I would say the pre is far easier to use than the iphone for anyone just moving into the smartphone market or just looking for a nice looking phone with good features( a matter of personal opinion of course) but for anyone already familiar with smartphones then the pre is a big turn off as the app catalogue in europe is virtually useless and palm have not stated when they will sort the problem out, if ever.
    I'd disagree. It doesn't get any simpler than the iphone. My 3 yr old (2 at the time) had no problems.

What's going to get customers to notice the Pre in a store is the hardware. Start with a big glass screen. High rez with colors popping off of it. That was half the battle won for the Droid. Won't help if Palm waits til every company has one out.

Palm has to make hardware that the employees (phone techies and geeks) actually would die to have before depending on them to sell them to the masses.
    palm does not need to sell the same amount of phones apple does to "make it". They have never had a large presence overseas. Because its not selling as well as the iphone means nothing. The fact that palm is still selling phones and not bk means they are in fact selling enough to stay in biz. They came so close to failing, the Fact they are around and have launched another device means something. If you are still thinking palm has to take down apple you no nothing about the smartphone market.

The same market that should reach, what 200 million units this year? Apple won't sell 180 million and android won't get the other 20....its a large market and its growing at a rapid rate. There is plenty of room for 5 or 6 players.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/10/2009 at 02:14 PM.
    double post for the win!
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    They have never had a large presence overseas.
    True

The fact that palm is still selling phones and not bk means they are in fact selling enough to stay in biz.
    Very True.

Now back to current state, I wonder how many phones PALM sold last year in UK in comparison with current year.
    That would be APPLEs to APPLEs comparison.

PALM should go after iPhone ( or any phone) in their commercials.
    I'd like to know as well... It will be nice to hear some more ## on the 17th...should be only webos sales at least the vast majority should be.

I don't get the train of thought that palm has to unseat anyone...they simply don't. Just siphon off a bit from colum A, a bit from colum B and get a bit of the brand new smartphone users and presto they are profitable!
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That they're phone manufacturers. That's about all those two things tell us.

Whatever you think of the article, they get actual quotes from relevant persons like:

"We have sold 20 times more [iPhones than Palm Pre handsets]. The iPhone is a more established brand and there has been more advertising. They are both good handsets but, with such a small price difference, customers take the view they might as well go for the iPhone."

I don't think you just shrug that off. It's prudent to sit down and say "Ok, iPhone is the industry leader and a monster brand, but what are we not doing right that can help remedy this somewhat?"

As I said, the app catalog situation is a mess pretty much everywhere but the US. That may be a good place to start.
    True, they are not selling well compared to iPhone, but are they selling well compared to their own 2008 sales in UK ?
    Are they selling well compared to other phones in UK ?

The point that iPohne is the sales king is mute.
    No other phone will sell like iPhone for few years.
    If PALM can target the next two spots ( No 2 or No 3) they would be profitable.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I'd like to know as well... It will be nice to hear some more ## on the 17th...should be only webos sales at least the vast majority should be.

I don't get the train of thought that palm has to unseat anyone...they simply don't. Just siphon off a bit from colum A, a bit from colum B and get a bit of the brand new smartphone users and presto they are profitable!
    I was checking the current download numbers for PANDORA, they are about 828K downloads. We can safely predict that Pre is touching that milllion sales mark ( or may be did cross it).
    Add revenues from the Pixi, APP store and GSM Pres.
    They finally started making some money.

You will see Pre on Verizon in a month , we heard Pixi on ATT.
    They are gaining market share with every little sale compared to their sales from previous years.

I will be watching their stock next week.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast