Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thread title should be changed to pre not selling as well as iphone in uk. That's the assumption of the article the op posted.
    Well I think Palm could certainly help themselves just by solving a few issues. Lets face it, the hardware is there, the webos being the ground for a great os is there and the beginning of an app store is there. Now Palm just needs to sort out use of the GPU, open up the App store (especially in the uk) and maybe solve some build quality issues that some people report and they can take another little slice of Apple pie.

Oh and create better adverts as the one I have seen in the UK doesnt show the pre to its potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I was checking the current download numbers for PANDORA, they are about 828K downloads. We can safely predict that Pre is touching that milllion sales mark ( or may be did cross it).
    Add revenues from the Pixi, APP store and GSM Pres.
    They finally started making some money.

You will see Pre on Verizon in a month , we heard Pixi on ATT.
    They are gaining market share with every little sale compared to their sales from previous years.

I will be watching their stock next week.
    The download numbers are not 1:1 with retail sales. Each download is for a Palm profile. GLOBALLY, there may be 828K-1 million Palm profiles, but many devices have been resold and refurbished, which accounts for an eBay or Craiglist sale, not one for Palm.

However obscure Palm has been on sales, they promptly announced when 1 million Centros were sold, and there's been no such announcement for the Pre.
    It is far too late for Palm to announce the millionth Pre. Look at how long it has taken. That would actually be bad news. It was too late after the first month.
    centro sales hit 1 million in march 2008, launched in September of 2007. If Pre hits 1 million this month (very possible) its still in the same time frame.....and the centro was considered a smashing success for palm. Might I add that it was available from both sprint and Att when it hit 1 million...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    centro sales hit 1 million in march 2008, launched in September of 2007. If Pre hits 1 million this month (very possible) its still in the same time frame.....and the centro was considered a smashing success for palm. Might I add that it was available from both sprint and Att when it hit 1 million...
    That was a different age and a different market. Apple made the smartphone a device for the masses. Having a million geeks buy your products over the course of a year is meaningless in today's context. This is not about how well you can sell to your small niche. That is no longer considered a success. This is about mass market appeal. A million units for a would-be iPhone killer in six months is game-over style failure. Palm will never announce it.
    WinMob is all but dead, RIM's phones are slowly getting a deserved rep as pieces of garbage, so that leaves the iPhone and Android as the two main WebOS competitors. The Droid is the closest thing to a flagship Android phone, and last I heard it moved roughly equivalent first week numbers to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    The Carphone Warehouse isn't carrying the Pre which I think is big problem for O2 and Palm. It has carried carrier-specific phones in the past, e.g. iPhone.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That was a different age and a different market. Apple made the smartphone a device for the masses. Having a million geeks buy your products over the course of a year is meaningless in today's context. This is not about how well you can sell to your small niche. That is no longer considered a success. This is about mass market appeal. A million units for a would-be iPhone killer in six months is game-over style failure. Palm will never announce it.
    This is not the case. The market is getting large enough to support small niche. A 10% piece of a 40million market is still 4,000,000.

In 02 when palm had 37% of the pda/smartphone market they were looking at sales around 4.4mill handhelds for the year with how many differant products?....tell me how that math does not work out for palm? Grab a small slice of the market and be moving almost as much product as when they owned 40% of the market.... Now they are not there yet by any stretch of the imagination, but they are executing and doing fairly well(if they are at the 100k mark roughly around the time the centro) considering they are only available on one of the smallest carriers in their historically largest market. AND AGAIN THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEN AND NOW, THERE IS MORE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL SMARTPHONES TO NEW SMARTPHONE USERS.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/10/2009 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    AND AGAIN THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEN AND NOW, THERE IS MORE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL SMARTPHONES TO NEW SMARTPHONE USERS.
    LOL. That's the ONLY difference between then and now? Well, I guess so other than:

- The iPhone
    - Much different pricing structure
    - Smartphones are far more web-oriented
    - Data plans are priced different
    - There are 6 different smartphone OSes (iPhone, Android, WM, WebOS, Blackberry, Symbian) with more on the way (e.g. Maemo, Bada, that new one on the Access handset)

Other than those things....yeah, pretty much the same.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Eh, that article is built mostly on original and non-verifiable research. It's hard to take much stock in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    LOL. That's the ONLY difference between then and now? Well, I guess so other than:

- The iPhone
    - Much different pricing structure
    - Smartphones are far more web-oriented
    - Data plans are priced different
    - There are 6 different smartphone OSes (iPhone, Android, WM, WebOS, Blackberry, Symbian) with more on the way (e.g. Maemo, Bada, that new one on the Access handset)

Other than those things....yeah, pretty much the same.
    Also the calender ends in 09 so that's a difference, and My name is earl has been canceled. Note this does not include webos...

There is plenty of room for Palm, granted 10% is a reach, but if they can get it they are going to be just fine. Nokia is shedding like crazy and smart-phone sales are going to climb. The Iphone? A whopping 13.7 percent in may... The data plans? People are paying for them in increasing numbers, you think companies would be sinking money into the smartphone market if they didn't think there was opportunity? If it was saturated because the Iphone rules all and has a corner on it?

"Samsung has developed bada to make these exclusive smartphone experiences available to everyone"

Gee the global sales of cellphones totaled 1.02 billion units in 2006 according to Reuters.... looks like the majors are seeing the market for smart-phones leaching off normal cellphones at record breaking paces....there will be plenty of competition for palm that's for sure. But basing a phones ability to succeed on how close it gets to the iphone sales is missing the picture. There is plenty of room for many different devices. Niche phones will always be around... On a side note going into sprint tomorrow to purchase a pixi for the girl, in there today...guess what...more smartphones than feature phones.....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/11/2009 at 12:52 AM.

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-cont...martphones.png

Just found this showing the results for 09 q3.

Sorry couldnt get picture to show directly on post
    i went instore yesterday to check it out. haven't got it yet.
    but it was a large store in nottingham and they had dummy phones on display on the side, and in the centre of the room a large table with nothing but 8 iphones (docked) for anyone to play on.
    i asked the guy behind the counter if they had a real phone in the back i could play on, he bought one out and said "sorry battery is dead and haven't got a charger".. i'm pretty sure a large selling point is that touchstone. also he said if i were you i would get the iphone.....

the pre isn't being given its chance. no wonder people think the iphone is invincible, no-one wants to let the competition sell anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    WinMob is all but dead, RIM's phones are slowly getting a deserved rep as pieces of garbage, so that leaves the iPhone and Android as the two main WebOS competitors. The Droid is the closest thing to a flagship Android phone, and last I heard it moved roughly equivalent first week numbers to the Pre.
    RIM has a 40% share of the US smartphone market, Apple's is 30%. Palm's is only 7% and that includes all their OS platforms. Almost all the smartphones I see on my train commute are iPhones or Blackberrys.

OTOH "Apple did top the customer satisfaction poll as 74% of iPhone users described themselves as “very satisfied” with their purchase; compare that with RIM at 48% and Palm at 33%. The iPhone also ranked first in future purchases plans of those polled who did not currently own a smartphone, but plan to purchase one in the next 90 days. Also 36% indicated a preference towards the iPhone, 27% towards the BlackBerry, and 8% towards Palm."

Anyone leaving PalmOS has only three choices if they want to retain the abilty to fully desktop sync to outlook. RIM, Windows Mobile and Nokia's Symbian. Windows Mobile has a really crappy user interface and a reputation for being buggy. Nokia is almost invisible in the US so that just leaves RIM. The Blackberry OS does look a bit dated but it just works out of the box. The bundled PIM apps aren't as good as some third party PIM apps on PalmOS (or probably WM) but they make the iPhone, Pre and Android PIM apps look like total garbage. Email and messaging is better than any other smartphone on the market. The desktop media sync can sync iTunes playlists to a Blackberry which is more than the Pre can do and you can put a 16GB memory card in a Blackberry. The platform's major weaknesses are the browser and most third party apps inability to work over wi-fi.
    I think its better to gauge Palm's success on US market, not global. We've seen Palm drop every year and held steady this year but at least didn't continue to fall. If they're able to reverse that trend and increase, then great.

I don't have the magic number of units Palm must sell. The goal of any company though is to make a profit. It's been quite awhile since sales alone made Palm a profitable company. This year is still hard to tell because Palm has gotten so much financing, has benefitted from a nice stock appreciation, and has issued more stock. They can only do so much of that and will have to depend on sales eventually though. Remains to be seen yet.

It will take a while to determine if Palm is selling enough to survive. It's a lot of expense to open up on different carriers and in new markets. As well as covering the tab for developing webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think its better to gauge Palm's success on US market, not global. We've seen Palm drop every year and held steady this year but at least didn't continue to fall. If they're able to reverse that trend and increase, then great.
    I think the UK numbers are more interesting because the Pre is competing on a level playing field with the iPhone in that market. Here the sales comparisons are clouded by carrier issues.
    agreed. it does not get any simpler... left/right the screens, icons super clear, touch to run, and home button to end.

and people are getting a taste of it on the touch first plus all the apps before they go iphone and a smart strategy by apple. my daughter loves playing with my iphone and havent seen a kid yet that doesnt know how to navigate through one.

it's so easy... a caveman can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd disagree. It doesn't get any simpler than the iphone. My 3 yr old (2 at the time) had no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I think the UK numbers are more interesting because the Pre is competing on a level playing field with the iPhone in that market. Here the sales comparisons are clouded by carrier issues.
    that would be true if o2 didn't try put you off the pre and shift you onto the iphone.
    read my previous post, i've had that kind of experience in 2 stores.
    atleast in the US there is competitive marketing between operators, here it is just one saying no the iphone is what you want.

this makes the pre ever more tempting for me. i prefer to be a bit more unique than a sheep (sheep of a good product but sheep nonetheless)
    Apple is usually very particular about how their products are displayed. They want their products to be turned on and well maintained so that every feature can be tested freely by the public, including making phone calls. Palm could insist on that sort of thing too. Palm has to take control of their story.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast