Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just an observation but has anybody really noticed that while we have over 600 apps available that relatively few of them have any real substance??

Where are the apps that change the daily view, agenda view, or the number of apps we can put on the launch bar? Where are the apps that let us change how many apps we actually get to see at once? Where are the apps that can track sugar levels for diabetics??

Are we just happy to see the number of apps going up as a reason to feel good? I for one am beginning to get a little bored with the cutesy stuff.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    What do you think 95% of the iPhone's App Store is made up of?
    why did you make any serious apps? Dude your opening a can you don't want to open now. Better be careful the dev of all those not serious apps are all over these forums ,and they can get offenened at someone saying their apps suck or whatever lol . JUST SAYIN !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Most of the things you mentioned would exist as patches, not apps. There is already a patch to let you see more apps at once. It puts 4 apps per row on the launcher instead of 3. I believe it's called 4x4 Launcher in WebOS Quick install. There are also a bunch of other patches that change the look and enhance functionality of the Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah I know thats true, but as an old hard core Palm fan, its these kind of apps that are missing that would allow non homebrew users to personalize and truly exploit the value of the OS.
  6.    #6  
    WOW! I never intended to offend so before it goes any further I APOLOGIZE!!! It was just an observation.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Just an observation but has anybody really noticed that while we have over 600 apps available that relatively few of them have any real substance??

Where are the apps that change the daily view, agenda view, or the number of apps we can put on the launch bar? Where are the apps that let us change how many apps we actually get to see at once? Where are the apps that can track sugar levels for diabetics??

Are we just happy to see the number of apps going up as a reason to feel good? I for one am beginning to get a little bored with the cutesy stuff.
    Many of these that you are looking for are available through homebrew.
    I believe I have seen an app for diabetics as well.
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/diabetrac

Many of the homebrew apps move on to the app catalog.
    Between the homebrew and the app catalog there are 990 apps available.
    As WebOS matures and the addition of Flash and the full activation of the GPU we should see many new developments. Also the app catolog is still in Beta. Someone told me the other day that there are over 400 fart apps for the iPhone, how many real apps do they have? Also note that MANY of the iPhone WEB based apps will work on the PRE.
    If all people do is moan and groan and complain about the Pre, even when they love it, then that could have a negative effect on how things progress for WebOS. Maybe you should phrase it "I love my phone and I can not wait till they add...
    For a first generation phone the Pre is remarkable in its abilities and the things that will be possible in the next 6 months will probably surprise many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    why did you make any serious apps? Dude your opening a can you don't want to open now. Better be careful the dev of all those not serious apps are all over these forums ,and they can get offenened at someone saying their apps suck or whatever lol . JUST SAYIN !!
    Really... And then what, he gets an e-beatdown? Truth of the matter is, the garbage being released to the catalogue is just that... garbage. Whether it originated in homebrew or not is irrelevant. A couple posts above there's a reply that has burned my *** since I started reading this forum, "well, there's patches for that". That's not an acceptable alternative for someone who knows what his phone is capable of and wishes Palm would exploit that. Very few Pre owners want to risk bricking their phone or losing their data in order to be able to see more apps on the launcher. TJ makes a valid point... If it ruffles some feathers, so be it; if the shoe fits...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    The answer is that it just takes time.

The app store is still in Beta right? Once it's out of Beta then have to see over time.

Is it acceptable that it's still in Beta after so much time? That's debateable but it is what it is.... it's still in Beta.
    I kinda like Topple Ball...and Topple Maze....Only good games IMO...
    I for one think that this is a fair observation (as most of the apps in the app catalog don't really feel substantial or have broad functionality like other more mature platforms). Granted, the app catalog is still in beta, the SDK is still being updated, AND the Pre / Pixi hardware isn't fully utilized yet. But give it some time and I'm sure that Palm will rectify most, if not all, of these issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
    I for one think that this is a fair observation (as most of the apps in the app catalog don't really feel substantial or have broad functionality like other more mature platforms). Granted, the app catalog is still in beta, the SDK is still being updated, AND the Pre / Pixi hardware isn't fully utilized yet. But give it some time and I'm sure that Palm will rectify most, if not all, of these issues.
    Nail, head.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    I believe also that, not too long ago, there was a post from developer of some office suite type app or something like it that said their product wasnt going to be available until next year because of changes in the sdk. so that could be the case with other developers.
    Well if palm would get off of their as*es and get a better SDK or MAYBE even just enable that part of teh hardware that does nothing? Oh lets see MAYBE THE GPU!!?? Maybe the phone less laggy helps too...I guess thats but a dream atm....
    checkout PictureIt now available in the app catalog
    For me it is simple. Sales aren't as good as I expected, so I can't justify spending as much of my time on WebOS development right now. I'm still developing, but not pushing near as hard as I had been. I'm hoping eliminating the App Limit will change this, but apps aren't selling all that well.

It takes hundreds of hours for a "serious" app and people want it for a few bucks. Selling only a thousand or two means that it would make more sense for the developer to spend that time working at McDonalds.

This is sort of a chicken and egg problem.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    checkout PictureIt now available in the app catalog
    PictureIT does look nice. Only thing is..Like 90% of the apps on the cat. you will most likely rarely use it. Unless you wanted something such as a background or something of that nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frrrrunkis View Post
    What do you think 95% of the iPhone's App Store is made up of?
    Who really cares about the iphone app store? We have Pres/Pixis.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
  19.    #19  
    As a an old PALM user I have paid real dollars for different programs. The programmers are hard working folks, and yes it takes time for developement and research, and they should definately be compensated. Penny stocks have a place in the world but so do the blue chip stocks, and both are necessary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdarkestsin View Post
    PictureIT does look nice. Only thing is..Like 90% of the apps on the cat. you will most likely rarely use it. Unless you wanted something such as a background or something of that nature.
    I find myself using it at almost everyday. For example, I didn't know what tiger woods wife looked like, so when the news of him cheating popped up, I quickly whipped up my phone and 'Pictured-It'. Its a quite good for quick refrences
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast