Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm looking forward to developers doing new things on WebOS that they couldn't have done with other platforms, at least not easily. I want mashups--mix information from different sources and carve it up in different ways. I want to mix my information with information from the web. Imagine upcoming meeting locations plotted on a map with links to news articles pertinent to each location, so you can read up on the local news before your meeting.

These kinds of apps are what will make WebOS a success. So far we haven't seen many things that couldn't be done on other platforms. But as more developers get involved and Palm provides ways to access PIM information, the possibilities are endlessly fascinating.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is another element to consider: patience. Apple did not release their SDK for a whole year after the initial launch of the iPhone. People were angry and crying foul. The future of the iPhone was bleak in the eyes of many journalists. Apple made no friends by choosing to do web apps. But they held the course and did not rush out a half-baked SDK just to quiet the nay sayers. That may have been the decision that made the iPhone the unqualified success it is today.
    the other thing to consider is that the iPhone SDK is just a part of the set of OS X development tools that Apple has been working on for years prior to the introduction the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    These kinds of apps are what will make WebOS a success. So far we haven't seen many things that couldn't be done on other platforms. But as more developers get involved and Palm provides ways to access PIM information, the possibilities are endlessly fascinating.
    There isn't really anything you can do on WebOS that isn't possible on other platforms. If anything the reverse is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There isn't really anything you can do on WebOS that isn't possible on other platforms. If anything the reverse is true.
    I dream of a multi card app

there are usful advantages this would have.

for example, several open and running cards that allow you to track several patients, vitals, lab results, and all the like, at once on the pre, quickly shuffling between them.

there are list methods to do this, for things like the Iphone, but I actually think the pre would be uniquely suited to this with its card view.

dunno if that type of thing is possible in the current SDK my guess is no.
    There are four lights.
    I may be that only other person in this thread who has programmed Fast Fourier Transforms! I would love to help test as you get it working.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    I think more serious apps will start showing up once the SDK allows a bit more than it currently does. I'm working on an instrument tuning app (FFTs written in Javascript ftw!) but still waiting on a bit more (ie: real) audio support.

Also depends on what you define as serious. I would imagine a tuner isn't that useful for most people, but it's something I would use regularly.
    Going back onto the developer 'time vs. sales' point, something that affects me as an English user (Well, the arguement will apply to the fact I am non-US), is that I cannot access a vast majority of the non-homebrew apps, paid or unpaid.

Every now and again, while I am reading this site and a few others, I see some neat little recommendations for applications. I often think "Oh, I didn't notice that before, let's have a look" but lo and behold, they don't appear in my app catalog. I struggle to understand why I have access to various US related apps (say ZIP codes or tram maps) yet not to some generic, non-US related apps?!
    I would imagine that this is a large number of potential sales that developers are missing out on.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I dream of a multi card app

there are usful advantages this would have.

for example, several open and running cards that allow you to track several patients, vitals, lab results, and all the like, at once on the pre, quickly shuffling between them.

there are list methods to do this, for things like the Iphone, but I actually think the pre would be uniquely suited to this with its card view.

dunno if that type of thing is possible in the current SDK my guess is no.
    Doesn't seem impossible. wIRC uses multiple cards within its app. Definitely possible.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Yeah the number has gone up a lot. I think as soon as we get more apps like radio time things will look better. That app functions like it belongs on the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is another element to consider: patience. Apple did not release their SDK for a whole year after the initial launch of the iPhone. People were angry and crying foul.
    This is what baffles me. The response to Apple telling developers to write AJAX apps at WWDC07 was pretty much a collective groan. You would think Palm noticed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This is what baffles me. The response to Apple telling developers to write AJAX apps at WWDC07 was pretty much a collective groan. You would think Palm noticed that.
    yep, and they didn't offer sound support, or accelerometer support, or launch menu support or email, or video, or much of anything else.

WebOS and what apple offered are 180 degrees apart.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    yep, and they didn't offer sound support, or accelerometer support, or launch menu support or email, or video, or much of anything else.

WebOS and what apple offered are 180 degrees apart.
    A lot of that has been remedied in OS 3.0 with HTML5 and offline capabilities, and the iPhone developer community still flocks to the native SDK and virtually ignores web apps. Given a choice, I think developers will always go for the most sophisticated SDK. If Palm released a good native SDK, I think you'd hear chirping crickets left in the web camp.
    1. we need some GPU based open GL support and then some high paced action race games etc to come out

2. we need app sales to take off and I think the app store limit, once it's fixed, will help

3. finally we need major vendors to port some of their major titles over: Epocrates (soon for the medical community), Docs-to-go full editing support (soon), Flash (i predict this will be the bomb!).

4. Imagine if we could get something like Guitar Hero for the Pre - now that game really shouldn't be that hard to port over, unless the current SDK can't support even that speed of graphics. (Activision right?)
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    A lot of that has been remedied in OS 3.0 with HTML5 and offline capabilities, and the iPhone developer community still flocks to the native SDK and virtually ignores web apps. Given a choice, I think developers will always go for the most sophisticated SDK. If Palm released a good native SDK, I think you'd hear chirping crickets left in the web camp.
    Well, one difference is that Palm itself is using the same SDK. On the iPhone using web apps will not look native.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Well, one difference is that Palm itself is using the same SDK. On the iPhone using web apps will not look native.
    It really depends on the app and the developer. I did my first iPhone web app in July 2007 and made sure it looked exactly like a native app, and it was not hard to do. It's gotten much easier since then. Most of the known/good iPhone web apps look native (some were discussed on Daring Fireball recently).

One problem, which I also see on some of the webOS apps, is that it's pretty easy to go all 90s-HTML with web apps if the designer/developer lacks good design taste/sense. It's a little harder to do that with native apps because it takes extra work/skill to deviate from the default widgets.
    Ok, not sure if this is the best thread, but here we go:

I am still using my old Treo 650 and was thinking to change phone.

the applications I use in a daily basis are:

Calendar
    Life Balance from Llamagraphics
    YAPS (password manager)
    A-Lex 2.2.2 English dictionariy with synthetic voice
    mobileClock
    TomTom navigator (with a sexy voice ;-)
    mVoice recorder
    PDAcookbook Plus
    PDAReach (so my boss don't see me tinkering with the phone ;-)
    SuperMemo (from mapletop.com, great for my son lessons)
    4Cast
    PDANet
    HandyShopper

All of these are apps I use a lot. I have been looking at the homebrew apps but I don't see anything like this. Is anybody aware of similar apps for the Pre or should I start looking at a different platform?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Doesn't seem impossible. wIRC uses multiple cards within its app. Definitely possible.
    As does Tweed, and I'm guessing a number of other apps as well. Doesn't seem to be an issue at all, quite the contrary.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234