1.    #1  
    Palm's Ares sdk is now in testers hands.... I know some on this site are probably testing it... I hope it has alot less limitations then the previous MOJO SDK...

Palm's Ares SDK is in testers' hands -- Engadget Mobile
    This might be really good news for us app hungry WebOS users.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This might be really good news for us app hungry WebOS users.
    Better looking and more functional apps may definately come from this givin the right API's and things are given..
    This isn't some new SDK, it's a new tool for the same SDK. It's not going to magically give applications more functionality without the Pre and Mojo being updated.

It will definitely help visuals of apps, but it's not going to do much otherwise. Just an easier tool to use than the strictly text-based work that's being done so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This isn't some new SDK, it's a new tool for the same SDK. It's not going to magically give applications more functionality without the Pre and Mojo being updated.

It will definitely help visuals of apps, but it's not going to do much otherwise. Just an easier tool to use than the strictly text-based work that's being done so far.
    Yep. This is exactly that sort of thing that Palm should not be focusing on right now. Instead of making the SDK more robust and useful, it has decided to put pointless gloss on the existing piece of garbage it released earlier. <sigh>
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Yep. This is exactly that sort of thing that Palm should not be focusing on right now. Instead of making the SDK more robust and useful, it has decided to put pointless gloss on the existing piece of garbage it released earlier. <sigh>
    Piece of garbage? Really? Why do you say that? Because you disagree with the design philosophy? I understand there is functionality that can't be implemented yet, and there are other limitations, but does that make it "garbage?"

It really annoys me to see people so dismissive of work that other people have produced. Saying it's a piece of garbage is not constructive and not useful. I'll grant you, it's a little better than saying it "sucks."
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Piece of garbage? Really? Why do you say that? Because you disagree with the design philosophy? I understand there is functionality that can't be implemented yet, and there are other limitations, but does that make it "garbage?"

It really annoys me to see people so dismissive of work that other people have produced. Saying it's a piece of garbage is not constructive and not useful. I'll grant you, it's a little better than saying it "sucks."
    Well, I was jokingly being a little harsh, but oh well, that's just my way. But honestly: you can't even access the mic? Ridiculous.

Six month into Android's development, there were thousands of applications available, a number of which were very high quality. That's a direct function of the SDK.

Palm's approach is not a design philosophy. The current SDK is a way of punting altogether on having to develop an actual SDK and design philosophy. We'll be stuck with webapps until (if) Palm radically improves its current offering.
    everybody keep wanting everything from palm because we bought a pre ... But the thing is ... Palm may not have the resources ... The retailers are selling the phone for $25 ... and with most people having to return their phone several times for various reasons ... That $25 for more than 1 phone. I understand it's frustrating to wait but I am happy with the little updates that we've been getting. Just hope we will keep getting them.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Golly, that Engadget article sure seems familiar...

http://www.precentral.net/ares-devel...lbe-select-few
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    This thread is honestly a microcosm of these entire forums.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Palm's Ares sdk is now in testers hands.... I know some on this site are probably testing it... I hope it has alot less limitations then the previous MOJO SDK...

It just lowers the bar of entry for developers, which hasn't been a problem from what I can see -- the apps are already trivial to develop. It doesn't do anything to increase the sophistication of the SDK. If anything, I think this goes in the completely wrong direction.
    Just because they are building better tools for app development, doesnt mean they arent working on improving and opening up the SDK. The developers in the early access program should be recieving this email. It doesnt confirm anything, but im willing to bet we are gonna see some changes to the SDK soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmInc@News.palmnewsletters.com
    Dear Developer,

As we enhance and develop Palm's webOS SDK, we want to make sure that you have a voice in the process. We want to hear more about your experience, and what we can do to improve it.

We appreciate feedback from everyone in our Early Access Program* and also developers who have had contact with the SDK but are not yet in our program. Your voice will be crucial in helping to prioritize the features that will have the greatest impact and evolve our SDK into one that allows you to build truly innovative applications.

Please take a moment to let us know about your experience by taking this brief survey: Palm webOS Mojo SDK

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,
    Palm Developer Relations

*If you have questions or requests for entry into our Early Access Program, and you have an app ready to submit, please reply to this email with the following information:
    - Your contact information (include name, company name, e-mail, phone)
    - Username for webOS developer portal
    # - For each webOS application: App name and description
    # Business model for your app (free; paid; ad-supported)
    # ipk or screen shots of your app
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    It just lowers the bar of entry for developers, which hasn't been a problem from what I can see -- the apps are already trivial to develop. It doesn't do anything to increase the sophistication of the SDK. If anything, I think this goes in the completely wrong direction.
    Yep, we have lots more fart-apps to look forward to. I wish they'd concentrate on making an SDK with decent APIs so folks can make all the complex apps many of us would like, rather than a bunch of apps that basically replicate a million websites out there.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I got to say, I don't know what the big deal is about Aries being a "pretty" version of Mojo. They built Mojo, they are building a structure to make Mojo more usable. Then they can update to the next SDK and make it totally rock. Would it be better if they had a awesome SDK this summer? Yes, of course. But if they had held off till they had the perfect SDK then Palm wouldn't exist. This is still version 1 of WebOS. We will know better how it will fare during Version 2. Just how I see it anyway.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    The developers in the early access program should be recieving this email. It doesnt confirm anything, but im willing to bet we are gonna see some changes to the SDK soon.
    I wrote quite a bit of feedback when I got the e-mail earlier this evening, and I hope someone is listening. Based on past experience, it may not matter, but I am always hopeful.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive