Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #1  
    Call me paranoid but I thinkn Sprint turns off my data usage option remotely when I tether, using my tether alot. Sometime my internet will just stop working all of a sudden and I'll be puzzled as to why and I know for a fact that hadn't turned it off because it'll switch off by itself in the middle of surfing the web.

    Anyone else had this prob?
  2. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    Call me paranoid but I thinkn Sprint turns off my data usage option remotely when I tether, using my tether alot. Sometime my internet will just stop working all of a sudden and I'll be puzzled as to why and I know for a fact that hadn't turned it off because it'll switch off by itself in the middle of surfing the web.

    Anyone else had this prob?
    Dear Paranoid,

    I have no problems at all here and I use my tether about 2 hours straight each day.
  3. #3  
    Sounds like you just may be dropping the connection. Sprint isn't just going to turn off your data connection. You will get a warning letter and then they will just terminate your service and/or charge you for the data. That is an extremely rare occurrence though.
  4. #4  
    If you tether alot, and sprint knows this, and you both know its a violation of the TOS, then there is no problem.
    Sprint plays stupid to people who tether just a little bit, but if you abuse it, they can and WILL shut you down.
  5. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    If you tether alot, and sprint knows this, and you both know its a violation of the TOS, then there is no problem.
    Sprint plays stupid to people who tether just a little bit, but if you abuse it, they can and WILL shut you down.
    I have a ?

    How do they know if you tether or just use your net alot?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    Call me paranoid but I thinkn Sprint turns off my data usage option remotely when I tether, using my tether alot. Sometime my internet will just stop working all of a sudden and I'll be puzzled as to why and I know for a fact that hadn't turned it off because it'll switch off by itself in the middle of surfing the web.

    Anyone else had this prob?
    If you're connecting with BT, I know I have seen the BT PAN connection drop for no good reason after a while. If you can reconnect quickly, it's highly unlikely that Sprint is doing something on their end.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    I have a ?

    How do they know if you tether or just use your net alot?
    If you are using a ton of bandwidth quickly, it's pretty easy for them to determine that this data is not being used by the phone. If you run large downloads or torrents, or visit sites quickly that would take a while for a phone to load, they will know.
    Though you would have to use an exceptional amount of data for them to care.
  8. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #8  
    Its happened to me more than once though. I tether at work and every once in awhile I'll have to re-enable data usage while roaming or data usage all together. I just surf the web. I don't download files. Maybe it the constant usage while roaming or....maybe mytether has a few glitches, I'm accidently changing settings in my pocket, or ....just being paranoid.
  9. #9  
    Sprint just hates you maybe next time you should ask sprint if it's ok to tether with the magically word.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    Call me paranoid but I thinkn Sprint turns off my data usage option remotely when I tether, using my tether alot. Sometime my internet will just stop working all of a sudden and I'll be puzzled as to why and I know for a fact that hadn't turned it off because it'll switch off by itself in the middle of surfing the web.

    Anyone else had this prob?
    This very thing just happened to me Monday, sitting at work no email , no email , no email. Finally checked and seen that Data was set to off. I didn't turn it off.
    I use less than a gig per month obviously on the unlimited plan.
  11. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    Sprint just hates you maybe next time you should ask sprint if it's ok to tether with the magically word.
    Lol, I'll call them up and try that.
  12. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    This very thing just happened to me Monday, sitting at work no email , no email , no email. Finally checked and seen that Data was set to off. I didn't turn it off.
    I use less than a gig per month obviously on the unlimited plan.
    Phew! Thanks. At least I know I'm not crazy.
  13. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If you're connecting with BT, I know I have seen the BT PAN connection drop for no good reason after a while. If you can reconnect quickly, it's highly unlikely that Sprint is doing something on their end.
    I'm using USB since wifi was disabled with 1.3.1 os update.
  14. #14  
    I tether all day long at work so my work can't monitor my poor work habits. I hover between 2-3 gigs a month. No problems yet.
  15. #15  
    Yeah I don't believe sprint is hitting the kill switch just yet. Before the pre I tethered with my TP to watch slingplayer about 5 or 6 times a month for hours at a time.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  16. percyg77's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
       #16  
    I assumed that Sprint is just sending out subtle hints.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    I assumed that Sprint is just sending out subtle hints.
    Foolin with the buttons for no good reason.
    " watch this , hit this button and listen as the phones go bizerk"
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    If you tether alot, and sprint knows this, and you both know its a violation of the TOS, then there is no problem.
    Sprint plays stupid to people who tether just a little bit, but if you abuse it, they can and WILL shut you down.
    Sprint doesn't 'know' that you are tethering because the tethering apps appear as local phone traffic (web browsing, streaming media, etc). But if you exceed several GB a month, they'd suspect you are tethering. General rule of thumb, don't tether more than 4-5GB a month and they won't say anything. I've been tethering 1-3GB some months for years via Treo/Pre and never had issues.

    While it may be a TOS violation, I also sometimes stream audio/video (Pandora/Shoutcast/YouTube) a great deal and could easily hit that much. Just don't abuse tethering and balance it with you local media streaming habits. Keep it under 4GB/month no matter how you slice it.
  19. #19  
    could be getting a call?
  20. #20  
    As of this morning, I have no data connection at all. I can make/receive calls, but I have no EVDO/1X icon at the top. Wifi works fine. I have Data Usage set to "On". I have tried everything I can think of to get it working again, but it doesn't. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions