Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    Call me paranoid but I thinkn Sprint turns off my data usage option remotely when I tether, using my tether alot. Sometime my internet will just stop working all of a sudden and I'll be puzzled as to why and I know for a fact that hadn't turned it off because it'll switch off by itself in the middle of surfing the web.

Anyone else had this prob?
    Do you happen to have aluminum foil covering up all your windows?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    As of this morning, I have no data connection at all. I can make/receive calls, but I have no EVDO/1X icon at the top. Wifi works fine. I have Data Usage set to "On". I have tried everything I can think of to get it working again, but it doesn't. Any ideas?
    I was getting those problems with WebOS 1.3.1. I switched back to 1.2.1 and it happens a lot less. Also, try dialing ##EVDO# and changing some of those settings... I'll sometimes select EVDO only to keep it from switching to 1x
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    I was getting those problems with WebOS 1.3.1. I switched back to 1.2.1 and it happens a lot less. Also, try dialing ##EVDO# and changing some of those settings... I'll sometimes select EVDO only to keep it from switching to 1x
    I tried all of those settings, and I can visually see that it's resetting the radio, because the signal bars disappear for a second and pop back up, however I never see any data icons in the top right at all.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I tried all of those settings, and I can visually see that it's resetting the radio, because the signal bars disappear for a second and pop back up, however I never see any data icons in the top right at all.
    Its aliens man I'm telling you straight.

They were probing your brain, but saw the Pre and thought it was a more intellegint life form, now they are probing it.....RUN!!!!!!
    1. put the phone on airplane mode
    2. take it off airplane mode
    3. enjoy tethering

happens to me once and a while it just cuts in an out once and a while its not sprint dont worry. A friend of mine hit 15 gigs and no problems. Also I don't even think torrents and stuff matter you can torrent right from the pre anyway
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    3. enjoy tethering

happens to me once and a while it just cuts in an out once and a while its not sprint dont worry. A friend of mine hit 15 gigs and no problems. Also I don't even think torrents and stuff matter you can torrent right from the pre anyway
    I think the point on torrents was that they tend to take alot of MB or GB and doing alot of them might send up a red flag to sprint.

And your friend hitting 15GB continually...I'd bet he gets a letter soon.
    15GB ?

damn tell him to chill otherwise he might ruin it for the rest of us, or just himself.

Rumor has it, they dont trip unless your using more than 5GB a month.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Sprint doesn't 'know' that you are tethering because the tethering apps appear as local phone traffic (web browsing, streaming media, etc).
    Except for the browser agent in the plaintext HTTP GET requests which will show Firefox, IE or whatever you're using. It all depends how deeply they choose to inspect the packets...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    3. enjoy tethering

I respectfully disagree. This doesn't always fix the problem .. I did notice that It did in the beginning but it really seems to get harder and harder as days go by.

I really have no idea if it has to do with Sprint or not, but .. I also can't believe that nobody has come out with some sort of patch that will prevent this from happening.

Does this happens with tether 2.0?

I wish I knew as much as so many people in this forum .. I would definitely apply myself to try finding a patch for it.

The thing is ... I believe that Sprint, along with other companies .. cable companies among them. Are trying as much as they can to put a stop on us being able to do these things.

Ultimately they will have to realize that internet and technology in general will continue its curse, no matter how many attempts you do, you can NOT stop progress. But they will take their best shots to at least delay it.

Cable (TV) companies and Cellphone carriers have 2 options:

1) They can either Understand that Internet will make them disappear unless they ally with it.

or

2) Keep fighting the bast mass that will continue to work towards replacing this companies with internet.

either way I think they will have a decrease in revenue.

This is solely my opinion. I am NOT tech savvy or financial expert, this is just how it looks from a regular Joe's perspective
    Last edited by juancarloszx7; 01/26/2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    I have a ?

How do they know if you tether or just use your net alot?
    There are two ways. The simplest is to watch for phones which make a connection to the windows time server. Sprint could very easily set a trap on their DNS servers for calls to the windows time server, and match that with the ID of the phone and know if it's a tethering plan or not.

Ditto a whole long list of windows-specific addresses.

If you're tethering a mac, there is a similar list of DNS calls that could set off an alarm.

You're pc does this in the background, and you never know it.

Linux pc's are only a tiny bit harder to trap.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Try toggling your data off and on. There's several patches that give easy access
    Sprint has a rather high end packet inspection capability in place for its 3G and 4G networks.

They don't seem to use it that much but they can and do find heavy data use violators and bill them/shut them down. Tethered data use is not allowed in the TOS and can be billed at the 'casual data use' rate which is crazy high.

Note that data use that originates from and terminates in the phone is unlimited even if you use a lot of it. It is only if your phone forwards that data to another device that you have problems with the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    I have a ?

How do they know if you tether or just use your net alot?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Sprint doesn't 'know' that you are tethering because the tethering apps appear as local phone traffic (web browsing, streaming media, etc). But if you exceed several GB a month, they'd suspect you are tethering. General rule of thumb, don't tether more than 4-5GB a month and they won't say anything. I've been tethering 1-3GB some months for years via Treo/Pre and never had issues.

While it may be a TOS violation, I also sometimes stream audio/video (Pandora/Shoutcast/YouTube) a great deal and could easily hit that much. Just don't abuse tethering and balance it with you local media streaming habits. Keep it under 4GB/month no matter how you slice it.
    I don't know how closely they monitor the data, but Sprint can indeed "know" you are tethering. A close look at the IP address of the final destination of your packets will tell them that you are tethering.
    Have any of yall, having this issue, updated your PRL's?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Try toggling your data off and on. There's several patches that give easy access

Hey!!

Thx so much for your reply and help. Unfortunately I have tried about everything and it has become kind of a lucky shoot .. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thx again!!!
    steal something and then whine because it doesnt work right... ive heard it all now
    I've been having this problem ever since the webOS 1.1 update and roaming. If I set my phone to Sprint Only, everything is fine, but if it roams, eventually the connection will start turning off and on every few seconds by itself. Again, only started happening after 1.1, so I think palm made some kind of change then. It happens in MyTether AND Mobile Hotspot, USB or wifi, doesn't matter. I started a thread the other day about this:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pot-issue.html
    As of this morning, I have no data connection at all. I can make/receive calls, but I have no EVDO/1X icon at the top. Wifi works fine. I have Data Usage set to "On". I have tried everything I can think of to get it working again, but it doesn't. Any ideas?
    reboot
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    this same **** has been happing to me yesterday and if it dont stop i might just stomp on the lil phone and call the insurance company so they can send me another peice of **** refurb. they dnt get it to fix a problem give me a new phone dammmm or a pre plus please
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Sprint has a rather high end packet inspection capability in place for its 3G and 4G networks.

They don't seem to use it that much but they can and do find heavy data use violators and bill them/shut them down. Tethered data use is not allowed in the TOS and can be billed at the 'casual data use' rate which is crazy high.

Note that data use that originates from and terminates in the phone is unlimited even if you use a lot of it. It is only if your phone forwards that data to another device that you have problems with the TOS.
    Exactly!! And, when yuo forward from the phone to another device (which is what you are doing when you tether), they can track that. It's not even a manual tracking, there are systems that will automatically track it.

I work in a secure environment. If I hook something up as simple as a network hub (which is much more basic than what we're doing with tethering), I can expect a call from the Networking group within 15 minutes.

You folks that assume (and preach) that Sprint can't track this are kidding yourselves.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast