Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With 4G rolling out in major markets all over, I began thinking about the next upgrade being toward a 4G cell phone.

But then I thought further: how much can a cell phone benefit on a 4G network over a 3G network.

OK, the first thing that comes to mind is the data rate. Well, with EvDO here in Chicago, anything I do on the Pre (downloading apps or music, YouTube, SprintTV, etc.) loads in a matter of seconds. Some websites hang at times, but I believe that is due more to processing the data once it gets to the device and not due to lack of bandwidth.

I then looked to other advantages of 4G, but they all seem to point to the network backbone itself. That is, it affects things that are essentially invisible to the cell phone user. Perhaps the quality of service will improve, but that's not cause by the technology, just the infrastructure.

I remember all the heated debates shortly after launch about whether or not the Pre was 4G and how some people felt they might be duped into buying a 4G device 6 months later. But as things sit now, I can't see 4G making much of a difference for cell phones. Perhaps when someone invents a magic battery or a network that can charge the phone (even better) so that you can get a high-end desktop PC's power in a cell phone, network improvements won't mean much.

So, am I missing something here? Is there a definitive feature waiting in the wings for flagship phones such as the Pre that are hampered by the network?
    Well I personally notice a difference between Ev-DO and WiFi, so the Pre can definitely benefit from faster connections. Also, I believe WiMAX actually requires less power on the client side. And don't forget that using 4G for the data connection will finally allow Sprint phones to do simultaneous voice and data.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Woops, looks like it uses *more* power than 3G. The other two points still stand though.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    There are only 2 things I miss from the iPhone: Shazam and voice and data. There have been many times when I've wanted to look something up while on the phone and I can't do it on the Pre. If 4G allows this I'd be thankful.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    maybe its soo fast it knows what were going to do before we do O.O
    2 words *Video Conferencing*

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    There are only 2 things I miss from the iPhone: Shazam and voice and data. There have been many times when I've wanted to look something up while on the phone and I can't do it on the Pre. If 4G allows this I'd be thankful.
    Yeah but voice & data is about the network (GSM) and not really about the iphone (Shazam is a great app though and hopefully they'll create an app for WebOS once mic access is included in the SDK). 4G would allow voice&data but obviously you'd need a 4G device which the Pre is not. Maybe Pre2?

(currently, if you're on a wifi connection, voice & data is capable on the Pre)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    The pre can use data and voice at the same time so there goes one of the other points! try placing a call and then surfing the net. it works. Being a pre owner id think you would know this.
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    The pre can use data and voice at the same time so there goes one of the other points! try placing a call and then surfing the net. it works. Being a pre owner id think you would know this.
    Are you sure about this? I remember this was an issue when the Pre came out -- that the iPhone could do both at the same time but the Pre couldn't. After reading your post, I tried it again with my Pre and it does not work. I think you should double check this on your phone. If it works, I'd like to know how...
    Only if you're on a wi-fi network.
    Being a pre owner, I would think that you would know the difference between using cellular data, and using wifi.
    The pre can do voice and data at the same time, but ONLY while on wifi, not while using EVDO.

Jerk.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    On my WiFi at home I get about a 7mbps connection on the Pre. I think this is its limit since I actually have a 14mbps connection (tested both speeds first using my Pre and then my PC). Can any of you guys with it tethered confirm this?

Just connect to your WiFi at home, tether as you normally would and hit a speed test site. If you reach your ISPs theoretical max let us know. If you hit less than that, do a second test with a PC that is not tethered.

Modem > Router > Pre > PC speed vs Modem > Router > PC speed
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I've heard that the radio in the Pre is largely a software radio, and that it could be updated to allow the Pre onto 4G networks. If this is truly the case, Palm won't need to rush to get out a 4G Pre2. I'd love to see this, because along with enabling the GPU, better native app development, upgrading the Pre to 4G would make it the all-around fastest phone on the market....for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by i2fuzzy View Post
    I've heard that the radio in the Pre is largely a software radio, and that it could be updated to allow the Pre onto 4G networks. If this is truly the case, Palm won't need to rush to get out a 4G Pre2. I'd love to see this, because along with enabling the GPU, better native app development, upgrading the Pre to 4G would make it the all-around fastest phone on the market....for now...
    Not possible.
    4G would allow voice and Data at the same time.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Not possible.
    I'm pretty skeptical of it, but if it's anything like those cheap software modems people used to buy in the dial-up days it could happen.
    just wanted to add i love this forum. sorry i'm new here.
    and not sure about the limit of 7mbps i run 30mbs at home on my desktop i'll try my wifi to see what the pre running.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    4G would allow voice and Data at the same time.
    OK, but will this require a new device once the network is upgraded? Or will existing devices be able to take advantage of the capability of the updated network?

That's where I was going with this thread; I want to see if there are any must have features to warrant jumping on one of the first 4G phones to be released. For me, the speed difference is a non-factor at the moment. I don't disagree that on WiFi the Pre is faster, just that I have no problem with EvDO. While voice and data simultaneously would be nice, I really don't need it. I can think of maybe a half dozen times since June that I needed to do both. Each time I had no problem either waiting to end the call, or hanging up, checking what I needed, and either giving the person a quick call back or sending a text for whatever information I needed.

As it looks now from this thread, I can plan to hang on to this first gen Pre for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    OK, but will this require a new device once the network is upgraded? Or will existing devices be able to take advantage of the capability of the updated network?

That's where I was going with this thread; I want to see if there are any must have features to warrant jumping on one of the first 4G phones to be released. For me, the speed difference is a non-factor at the moment. I don't disagree that on WiFi the Pre is faster, just that I have no problem with EvDO. While voice and data simultaneously would be nice, I really don't need it. I can think of maybe a half dozen times since June that I needed to do both. Each time I had no problem either waiting to end the call, or hanging up, checking what I needed, and either giving the person a quick call back or sending a text for whatever information I needed.

As it looks now from this thread, I can plan to hang on to this first gen Pre for quite some time.
    If you want 4g speed, you would need a new device. The same can be said if you want to surf and talk at the same time. There is no magical switch that will make the hardward compliant with 4g.

When EVDO first showed up, it was the same way. You had to upgrade to a compliant device.

As for the tech involved, 4G uses a completely different radio and as such, the phone should be capable making voice calls on the 1x line while in a data session.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast