Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    The pre can use data and voice at the same time so there goes one of the other points! try placing a call and then surfing the net. it works. Being a pre owner id think you would know this.
    Are you really a Sprint service tech? You have a few posts that make me wonder...just say'n.
    so how can the iphone do both? are AT&T's towers 4g already, or has it something to do with the radio in the iphone? is there not any way the pre could be updated to do the same or would it require new hardware?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    so how can the iphone do both? are AT&T's towers 4g already, or has it something to do with the radio in the iphone? is there not any way the pre could be updated to do the same or would it require new hardware?
    It just has to do with the differences between AT&T's HSDPA GSM network versus Sprint and Verizon's EVDO CDMA networks. The newest revision of EVDO will allow simultaneous cellular data access and voice calls, but it hasn't been implemented yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2fuzzy View Post
    It just has to do with the differences between AT&T's HSDPA GSM network versus Sprint and Verizon's EVDO CDMA networks. The newest revision of EVDO will allow simultaneous cellular data access and voice calls, but it hasn't been implemented yet.
    Correction - EVDO is 3g, WiMax is 4g. Different tech.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    is there not any way the pre could be updated to do the same or would it require new hardware?
    This appears to be the $64,000 question. I've read in places that it's "possible" on EvDO Rev A, but for whatever reason, Sprint has yet to implement it.

This leads me to believe that it's simply a limitation of the network, and that EvDO Rev A phones should be able to do it. Therefore, a network update would allow current gen phones to use the functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I think he's referring to the newest EVDO (which Sprint and Verizon will Probably skip for WiMax and LTE respectively). I think it's called CDMA2000 technology with SVDO. If memory serves?

And for those of you who are asking, the Pre is not a 4G device. It would take a hardware radio change among other things. Pre2 maybe but not the stand-alone Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I think he's talking about this:

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I think he's referring to the newest EVDO (which Sprint and Verizon will Probably skip for WiMax and LTE respectively). I think it's called CDMA2000 technology with SVDO. If memory serves?

And for those of you who are asking, the Pre is not a 4G device. It would take a hardware radio change among other things. Pre2 maybe but not the stand-alone Pre.
    I stand somewhat corrected. Verizon is moving directly to LTE and Sprint to WiMax, and that is what will enable a HSDPA ala Iphone experience. Haven't heard much about Verizon or Sprint really grabbing hold of anything else for the 4g data.

Maybe there will be a hybrid of the two, but how many radio's can one phone have before it starts looking like

If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Lmao @ ^^^
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan34 View Post
    Are you really a Sprint service tech? You have a few posts that make me wonder...just say'n.
    There is a big difference between a service tech and a GOOD service tech.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

Yes, this is what I was talking about. I agree, though, it will probably be mostly skipped.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12