Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a used Pre and its in very good shape, but there are a couple of scratches on the screen that are starting to bother me... its the kind where i see a rainbow when the screen is turned on and its getting on my nerves... any way or remedy to remove or at least make the scratch less noticeable???

Hope theres something i can do or buy....

thanx
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    You could search out eyeglass scratch remover and if the scratches are not to bad, a top of the line screen shield (like Zagg's) can hide almost all of it. The key for any method is to make sure the scratch is 100% cleaned out first.
    HUGE DISCLAIMER: Doing anything at all to "repair" scratches on your screen runs you the risk of completely destroying your screen. Proceed with great caution.

First of all, the advice to start by cleaning the scratches really well is spot on. Make absolutely certain that they are as clean as you can get them. Plenty of eye-glass cleaner.

Once it's absolutely clean, using something like an eyeglass scratch remover can work, but I'd start with a screen protector. Even an inexpensive one will probably completely obscure them.

If you really want to try to polish them out, you've got several options. To start with, simple toothpaste on your finger is a very mild and very effective polishing compound. Starting small will reduce the risk of causing more damage.

STP also make a product called "Son of a Gun" which is a cleaner/polish for automotive plastics like headlights. It's also very mild, and will help to clear up very mild scratches and make them less visible. Be aware that using it repeatedly over a long period of time can cause yellowing to some plastics.
    I got a small one on my first (day one before all the skins were out) and putting a skin on it made it so you couldn't see the scratch. I think the adheseve filled the crack and the skin was a new smooth surface so you really couldn't tell.
  5.    #5  
    thanx for the advice guys, any first hand experience with any of the remedies??
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    HUGE DISCLAIMER: Doing anything at all to "repair" scratches on your screen runs you the risk of completely destroying your screen. Proceed with great caution.

First of all, the advice to start by cleaning the scratches really well is spot on. Make absolutely certain that they are as clean as you can get them. Plenty of eye-glass cleaner.

Once it's absolutely clean, using something like an eyeglass scratch remover can work, but I'd start with a screen protector. Even an inexpensive one will probably completely obscure them.

If you really want to try to polish them out, you've got several options. To start with, simple toothpaste on your finger is a very mild and very effective polishing compound. Starting small will reduce the risk of causing more damage.

STP also make a product called "Son of a Gun" which is a cleaner/polish for automotive plastics like headlights. It's also very mild, and will help to clear up very mild scratches and make them less visible. Be aware that using it repeatedly over a long period of time can cause yellowing to some plastics.
    Disclaimer good.
    Toothpaste and Son of a Gun can be to harsh. Toothpaste has tiny crystals and can add to the scratches. I have yet to see anyone read through a headlight. Care must be taken with ANY polish. Most have some abrasives. These abrasives are what remove buildup or scratches. The safest is the cleaning and screen protector. For a polish, look into an eyeglass scratch repair kit. What they tend to do is fill in and smooth out the cleaned scratches. I have used the glass kits before but you will take it at your own risk. My Pre has a small scratch near the middle of the screen and after I put the top of the line protector on it there is now no sign of it. Like was said before, it may be the adhesive that filled it in.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 12/08/2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Some of the screen protectors have "self healing" which means that when they are scratched the scratches kind of fade. I would think that would also help if you put one on over an existing scratch. Eyeglass repair kit is a good plan, then get a screen protector.
    I would second the recommendation for trying a skin on the front side ... a good chance it will hide scratches, not to mention protecting it from new scratches. The PhantomSkinz are terrific, relatively easy to install, and dirt cheap. I would spend the $9.95 before I tried anything with even a remote chance of damaging the screen more.
    yeah get a screen guard and try to move on. I hate scratches.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I've got 1 pretty noticeable scratch and 1 that's only visible when the light hits a certain way, and both were completely gone after I put on a screen protector. Love it...because the scratches were bugging the hell out of me.

Oh, I'm using Invisishield.
    Hi.
    So with your InvisisShield on, you can still touch the screen to navigate and launch stuff?

Thanks.
    Yep. All of these shields simply protect the screen without losing any of the gesture/swipe/thumb capability. I use the Zagg Invisible Shield, and really like it.

You may find them to be a little less slick (just very slightly 'sticky') but the difference is negligible compared to the protection. And oyu can always try one and remove it if you don't like it.
    I have tried the toothpaste method with zero success, i even added baking soda at one point cause i read that baking soda is part of what makes the toothpaste abrasive. I tried for hours and gained nothing.

On that note I would suggest going with a screen protector, it will save you time, effort, and probably even money.

My screen actually looks like its starting to spider crack out from sand indentations, due to a drop, any one else experienced something like that?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i have used displex with good results but it is kinda expensive
    Isn't there some kind of coating on the plastic? Won't using these abrasives cause it to peel? There's a thread somewhere where someone's coat was flaking off, although I don't remember if it was from polishing it or not.
    There's a coating on the face of the Pre.... DO NOT USE ANY ABRASIVE SCRATCH REMOVER ON IT.
    I would NOT recommend toothpaste. I had a CD and had heard about using toothpaste to clean/buff out a scratch on it... All the toothpaste did was scratch the disc even more. Plastic + toothpaste = scratches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I would NOT recommend toothpaste. I had a CD and had heard about using toothpaste to clean/buff out a scratch on it... All the toothpaste did was scratch the disc even more. Plastic + toothpaste = scratches.
    I would assume it depends on what toothpaste you use. The stuff I used, regular colgate I think, didn't scratch my screen at all, but neither did it help remove any of the scratches I had.
    One method I've heard about in the past is to use the inside of a banana peel.

It has a waxy residue that gets left behind after cleaning CDs with it that help fill in scratches and "hide" them.
    Worth a shot?
    On my prior devices I found that Boxwave screen protectors did wonders at filling in the little scratches when i applied them. they are different than zagg or invisishield as they dont have a glue in them, and can be reapplied easily.

however I haven't tried the new ones for the pre, they may or may not mold to the corners well, i'm not sure.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast