Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBot View Post
    Use a very thin sandpaper from your nearest hardware store... make sure you smooth it out nicely... then wipe off the residue of the screen with windex and a sham-wow... last step is to purchase a 2$ bottle of semi gloss from home depot and apply 2 coats on the screen.

After that your good to go... let me know how it went.
    Not nice. Somebody will think that you are serious.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Just to let everyone know I'm experimenting with acrylic floor polish (Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine) on the back cover of my Pre. It leaves a nice glassy shine on my floors, and given the post on Precentral today, I thought I'd give it a shot on my Pre. I wasn't adventurous enough to try it on the screen right out, so I though I'd give it a shot on the back cover instead.

Attached are the are images of the results of about 3 coats, and about 1 hour between coats sitting in a 175degree (F) oven (because I'm too impatient to wait the 8 hours for air-drying recommended on the bottle). I masked off half of the back so that you could see the difference before and after. As you can see, the shine is is near perfect, restoring the appearance of the phone. As far as durability goes, we'll see in the coming days how it holds up. I figure if I could walk on a floor with this stuff on, it should hold up reasonably well on my phone.

As far as using it on your screen goes, I'd recommend taking greater precautions when applying it to the screen itself. I'll be experimenting with that when I have some more time to dedicate to the process. If you want to give it a shot, you'll probably need to mask off the button, speaker, and mic hole. In addition you should be careful not to get any polish in the slide mechanism. Also, take extra care to not get any dust, water (from blowing on it), or air bubbles in the coat. When I applied it to the back cover, I simply drizzled the liquid across it, letting it drain off into a bowl. If a bubble showed up, I simply rinsed it away before letting it dry. That's probably not going to be an option on the screen itself. Some ideas I've had on how to apply it are to use a watercolor paint brush, or perhaps spray it on with a pump/mist bottle. Lastly, I wouldn't recommend putting your Pre in the oven, for obvious reasons. However, you should find a relatively ventilated place to dry the finish without exposure to dust. The oven worked out well in this instance.

One last thing I think that is worth note is that even if the finish itself isn't durable enough for daily use, it should restore the surface of your screen enough that you should be able to apply a screen protector without seeing scratches and ridges underneath. The screen protector can take the brunt of the abuse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Very very nice, I have a bottle of the Meguires stuff at home I'll use one day. Though after seven months of sticking my bare Pre in my pockets I still don't have any major scratches beyond the light ones that occur under normal wear and tear.. This post will probably jinx me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinistois View Post
    my pre is scratched to all hell. The first week I had it, it was sitting on my lap in my car (bad idea). When I got out, in one smooth motion, the phone flew out onto the pavement, my foot landed on it, and I slid about a foot with the phone under my foot, screen down, on the pavement. It has been scratched to all hell ever since, and I just deal with it.

Eventually I will get a new screen put on it, or just buy the next palm phone lol.
    AHHHH the horror

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by cshiver85 View Post
    i don't know about scratches, but i will say that i got the pre when it first came out... and am already on #4. ... that's an average of about... replacing it quarterly... i'll put it in my pocket and forget it's there........................
    Well, I think your expectations may be a bit high, and you're clearly hard on your phone. I've had mine for almost a year now, and the only places there are any meaningful scratches are where I've dropped it on pavement (100% my fault)

Also, I keep mine in my pocket most of the time as well, an I've never broken it even when I've sat on concrete benches with it in my back pocket.

One simple thing you can do, if you keep it in your pocket like I do, is always make sure you put the screen side facing in. That really does make a big difference.
    I've had great success with the Novus polishes from TAP Plastics.There are 3 grades, and if you use them all, any but the deepest scratches disapear.
    I remember mentioning the solution I happened across in another scratch-removal thread so I'll happily repeat it here. As some background, other than smart phones, my other vice is collecting nice watches (an affliction I'm sure others here may share). On the watch message boards, scratch-removal is always a hot topic and a year or so ago I read a technique that I thought would have a good chance of porting over to phones.

Obviously, watches are built from sturdier materials than most phones, especially our beloved yet delicate, Pre. Most are made of heavy, impact-resistant materials like stainless steel, titanium and sapphire crystal. However, lots of people like to collect older watches, many of which have an acrylic (plastic) crystal to protect their dial. Over the decades, these crystals tend to scuff pretty badly. One guy, who I think was an engineer of some sort, decided to use .25 and 1 micron diamond paste to restore an old, heavily scratched watch he had acquired.

The before and after pictures were so stunning that I bought some diamond paste as well and replicate his procedure on an old phone screen. The end result turned out really well and I felt confident trying it again on my Pre. Despite the many fine scratches (I don't use a screen protector) I achieved the same results.

I'll caution that it does take some practice as the .25 micron paste is extremely fine and takes some serious elbow grease to remove moderate to heavy scratches. The 1 micron paste is more abrasive, so I would use it sparingly and with caution.

If you've got an old phone or even some odd piece of plastic junk laying around to test on, I'd give it a whirl with the understanding that its for very light scratches on the screen only and that it will likely (just like the other techniques described) void your warranty.

Cheers!
    Speaking of that diamon paste, I know a great source for it.

One of my other big hobbies is collecting, restoring and using straight razors.

Diamond pastes have started to become very popular as polishing agents on strops. Over at Straight Razor Designs, The Finest In Gentlemens Shaving And Grooming Needs they carry diamond spray. It's the exact same stuff, but in a liquid suspention, and sold in small quantities in spray bottles. You could very easily spray a little on a soft cloth and use that. It would probably be much easier than the pastes.

They also have other compounds like chromium oxide, which despite being just as fine, you should NEVER use.

*Edit: You'll want to click the link for the "Sharpening Center." I just checked, and it looks like they now carry paste as well as sprays from 6micron down to 0.25micron. I've never used any of it on plastics, so use at your own risk. I will say, that 6 micron would probably destroy your screen, and I wouldn't start any higher than 1.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 07/14/2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added extra information
    1200 grit wet-dry sandpaper until perfectly matt smooth. (That's 15 micro-meter grit, 6 10,000ths of an inch. )

Frankly, I'm ok with that matt finish, but if you don't like it, either coat with any hard wax you like, or polish with a fine polishing compound and a medium speed buffer.
    I'm fascinated by the mention that I could perhaps just have my local game shop remove the scratches like a cd... has anyone else done this other than the person who posted it earlier? Is this safe?
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I had a few bruises on my phone that went away when I applied a PhantomSkinz screen protector.
    How did you not have to pay for a replacement?
    I have same scratch issues with the screen on my first Pre but Sprint would not replace it.
    I have TEP insurance on it also.
    Several nice people here in the Pre Community forums told me to try HP/Palm for replacement. Peace.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123