Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Plastic + toothpaste = scratches.
    Yup, that's how it works.

That's also how sandpaper makes wood smooth.

You want to get rid of a big scratch, so you make millions of smaller scratches until you wear everything down to the level of the bottom of the original scratch.

Then, if it's scuffed and hazy, you use something that makes even smaller scratches, and do the same thing over again.

Repeat until the scratches are so small that they're not really scratches anymore.

If you start out using an anti-plaque toothpaste, which is gritty and abrasive, you'll need to follow up with something like a regular toothpaste that is less abrasive.

Unfortunately, you can't remove much material from a CD before it stops working, so your choice of toothpaste was what killed you.
    Do you guys have a CD trade post in your city? well they use to fix scratches on my game cd's all the time (my little sis was hard on them) So i had some light scratching on my pre from some sand in my pouch i put my phone in. Well i got the idea to take my phone to the CD Trade Post and asked if they could buff it the way they did the cd's well she took it back there and about a minute later she came back and the scratches were gone i asked how she did it and she said they have a bench grinder with a buffer wheel on it they use a real fine buffing compound made of powerderized sea shells. She said its real easy to do you just cant get it to hot. i was charged 2 dollars
    Last edited by gitit20; 07/11/2010 at 04:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrecat21 View Post
    One method I've heard about in the past is to use the inside of a banana peel.

It has a waxy residue that gets left behind after cleaning CDs with it that help fill in scratches and "hide" them.
    Worth a shot?

No, no, you smoke the banana peels.
    my pre is scratched to all hell. The first week I had it, it was sitting on my lap in my car (bad idea). When I got out, in one smooth motion, the phone flew out onto the pavement, my foot landed on it, and I slid about a foot with the phone under my foot, screen down, on the pavement. It has been scratched to all hell ever since, and I just deal with it.

Eventually I will get a new screen put on it, or just buy the next palm phone lol.
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinistois View Post
    my pre is scratched to all hell. The first week I had it, it was sitting on my lap in my car (bad idea). When I got out, in one smooth motion, the phone flew out onto the pavement, my foot landed on it, and I slid about a foot with the phone under my foot, screen down, on the pavement. It has been scratched to all hell ever since, and I just deal with it.
    Ouch!! That's like scraping your nails on a chalk board....!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    No, no, you smoke the banana peels.
    make sure you eat the fruit.
    There are four lights.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I've used Meguiars Plast-X, sold at auto parts stores to polish out scratches on many things, including my own eyeglasses and various cell phones. I work at Fry's Electroinics, and when a customer returns a phone that is not defective but may have scratched it up, I use the Plast-X to recondition the phone for resale.

As for me, I had a Zagg Invisible Shield installed before I could scratch my Pre.

Back in woodshop class during my junior high years, we learned to cut plastic from thick large sheets to make shiny plastic key ornaments. With the use of steel wool, buffing compound and a buffer, rough plastic could be turned into shiny smooth surfaces.

It turned out to be very helpful after I found the top left of my Pre gouged by some sharp object (pressure against my keys perhaps?). But instead of steel wool, I used a piece of high grit sandpaper (1000) that's slightly abrasive. Then I used buffing compound you can buy at an auto parts store and a buffer. After careful sanding and buffing, I managed to get my screen back to it's original shine. It wasn't perfect as I could still see a slight depression of the area I worked on but I'm happy overall not having to see the deep scratch.

If your scratches aren't as deep as mine were, you may be able to get it cleared easily simply by just using buffing compound and a buffer.
    can i use these on scartches on the BODY too?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Try rubbing over the scratch with a white eraser, I know it works for the ds, not sure about the pre but its worth trying. Otherwise it looks like what Finally Pre said about the eyegglass' is the best solution, or putting a screen protector over it might make them less noticeable, however all the screen protectors I've tried reduce the clarity of the screen, I've only tried cheap ones though and am not willing to pay $30 for what is basically a plastic sticker.
    To the people recommending screen protectors: why? They look bad and are bubbly. If I'm getting a brand new device after 1-2 years who cares what the Pre looks like after?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    To the people recommending screen protectors: why? They look bad and are bubbly. If I'm getting a brand new device after 1-2 years who cares what the Pre looks like after?
    Because the Pre screen scratches really easily. You may choose to live for two years with a scratched screen, but others do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    I personnay do not like screen protectors either. I understand the logic, but I like the clean, crisp screen without one. However, I too have small scratch from a speck of sand.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I personnay do not like screen protectors either. I understand the logic, but I like the clean, crisp screen without one. However, I too have small scratch from a speck of sand.
    I also like the feel of the phone without a screen protector. But I like to have a scratch free screen more. Everyone I know with a Pre with no screen protector has a scratched screen.
    I used to fret about scratches on my Pre as well. Then one day I said who the heck cares? Everything looks duller with screen protectors & I always manage to lose pocket cases. So I just stopped noticing the scratches. That is until right now. Thanks for reminding me guys, I now notice scratches everywhere again. DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    My screen is pretty much scratch-free, but each corner of my Pre's body has got a scratch or dent. Does anyone have any ideas for filling them in, or buffing them out, or something? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrecat21 View Post
    One method I've heard about in the past is to use the inside of a banana peel.

It has a waxy residue that gets left behind after cleaning CDs with it that help fill in scratches and "hide" them.
    Worth a shot?
    i heard first you use peanut butter and then cover it with oysters. just dont leave the oyster on the pre too long or turns into a pearl.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Use a very thin sandpaper from your nearest hardware store... make sure you smooth it out nicely... then wipe off the residue of the screen with windex and a sham-wow... last step is to purchase a 2$ bottle of semi gloss from home depot and apply 2 coats on the screen.

After that your good to go... let me know how it went.
    i don't know about scratches, but i will say that i got the pre when it first came out... and am already on #4. ... that's an average of about... replacing it quarterly... i'll put it in my pocket and forget it's there... sit down and go to grab it and will have shattered the screen... yeah... yeah... yeah... laugh it up... NO i'm not a fatty... i just wear tight pants

Sprint KNOWS this is an issue with the phones... in fact, one time i came inside from mowing the lawn... my pre was in the shade but it was 100+ degrees outside... as soon as i got inside i walked to the freezer and heard a POP come from my hand... that's right... the screen shattered.

now keep in mind, by "shattered" i don't mean exploded and flew all over the place... it looks more like spider-webbing coming from the glowing orb at the bottom of the phone and extending outward and upward...

like i said before... sprint knows about this issue... and NO i did not have to pay for any of my 3 replacement palm pre' s.

hope this helps a little.

~Clay
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast