Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It was only a matter of time until this started happening. Just like the iphone, we are starting to see dozens of repeat apps which all serve the same function, but with a slightly different twist. Check out the recent list of the app store today and yesterday. A majority of these apps (like Basketball Fans and Hockey Fans and these stupid quiz apps) are all the same, and could easily be one app!
    I thought the pre would be above this, but I guess not. Palm must really want to inflate their app catalog number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    It was only a matter of time until this started happening. Just like the iphone, we are starting to see dozens of repeat apps which all serve the same function, but with a slightly different twist. Check out the recent list of the app store today and yesterday. A majority of these apps (like Basketball Fans and Hockey Fans and these stupid quiz apps) are all the same, and could easily be one app!
    I thought the pre would be above this, but I guess not. Palm must really want to inflate their app catalog number.
    So, you would have them deny someone's app because Palm thinks it's a duplicate? Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me.

I say put 'em all out there, and let the consumer decide what's junk and what's not.
    one man's junk is another man's! Have you tried using the ignore feature?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    If they were to deny an app, it would stifle the community, and a potentially great app might never make it. Honestly, there may be repeats, but I'd rather filter them out than not have any choice.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I'm tired of them too, but they're part of life.
    Seriously, my wife is making some apps now and i would be damned near ****ed off if Palm blocked her app. For those that complain, go spend a little time doing programming yourself before you discount other people's work.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    If they were to deny an app, it would stifle the community, and a potentially great app might never make it. Honestly, there may be repeats, but I'd rather filter them out than not have any choice.
    Is there really a need for a different app for every single MLB NHL NBA team out there? Palm should require the dev to make one app, with access to multiple teams per sport, or even leagues.
    I think app restriction/limiting is a little fierce, as it stifles the community as a whole and takes away from what makes WebOS great.

I do agree, though, that the repetitive-ish apps are a bit of an eyesore. It probably doesn't help that the App Catalog is cluttered and difficult to navigate as it is.
    I know! I'm not a doctor so who cares about epocrotes? I say block all non technical theater related apps NOW! Or
    don't like an app, don't get it
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    It's a free market. That's how it's supposed to work. The good ones will float to the top sooner or later.
    It costs $50 to submit a new app to the app catalog*, after you pay the $99 yearly fee to become a developer. So that at least introduces a minor barrier to people submitting stuff on a whim.

* unless you're in the early access program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Is there really a need for a different app for every single MLB NHL NBA team out there? Palm should require the dev to make one app, with access to multiple teams per sport, or even leagues.
    Why? If there's enough demand for that over what's being offered now, someone will offer it. Palm can't force the issue by making requirements like that. The market will take care of it.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why? If there's enough demand for that over what's being offered now, someone will offer it. Palm can't force the issue by making requirements like that. The market will take care of it.
    There's nothing to yet to suggest demand for 20 localized applications that do the same thing. Hopefully the $50 per app fee will eliminate some of this app spam. If it isn't them, it's Europa Pictures and their quiz apps or EpicTilt and their picture hunt apps.
    Live and let live I say 10 $.99 jesus quiz apps aren't hurting anyone. People just gotta complain about something.
    I agree with the person who started this thread. I think its a shame that out of all the 100's of apps we really need, we now have 3-4 fart/burp ones, a couple stupid sounds ones and so on.
    #1: Lag
    then #2: App QUALITY & FUNCTIONALITY
    and #3: Build quality

Those three things, taken care of in that order, and Palm might start to be taken seriously again. (jmo)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 12/09/2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Anyone check out the iphone app store? It's full of junk and repetitive apps. That's how you get to 10,000. What I would like to see is some more productivity apps, Tripit, Pageonce, Sportacular, something to track my business miles driven. We need apps with more substance!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yeah, there's a lot of same old, same old in the App Store right now.
    No disrespect to anyone, but just because you think an app is bad, useless, a duplicate, etc. doesn't mean someone else won't like it/use it. And why would anyone think "the Pre would be above this?" I don't even think I understand that statement.

Anyway, bring on the apps . . . big, small, good, and bad. If you don't like one or don't think one will be useful to you, just move on and find the ones that will serve a function/purpose for you.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RBIowa View Post
    Anyone check out the iphone app store? It's full of junk and repetitive apps. That's how you get to 10,000. What I would like to see is some more productivity apps, Tripit, Pageonce, Sportacular, something to track my business miles driven. We need apps with more substance!
    Yep. We don't have a single good sports app, none of the weather apps alert you in the background to severe weather, obviously no video streaming apps, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast