Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I remember that some people dropped a line about the fact that the app space limit was fixed in 1.3.5... so i can't see why they can't find some interesting way to say if this text messaging problem is fixed.

*EDIT* The text messaging problem, for those of you who don't know, is when you delete a very long conversation at once instead of individually deleting messages it will become a hidden conversation. This means that new text messages from this "hidden person" will show a notification and take you to a new card... but if you open the text messaging app it will not show the person unless you search for their name. So if you get a new text, dismiss it and go to check on them later if this person is "Hidden" they won't appear at the top of the list with a next text message. Rather you have to search for them in order to verify whether or not they were the ones who sent you the text.

There are workaround for it, but they are tedious and frankly I WANT TO DELETE MY TEXT MESSAGE THREADS I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A 3,000 PLUS TEXT MESSAGE CONVERSATION ON MY PHONE BECAUSE MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN OVERACTIVE TEXTER. And to delete 3,000 texts by hand is ridiculous.

So here are my questions.

1. IS there an easy way to delete these text messages, possibly delete the palm database with all the stored text messages or anything really? Can i root in and delete something, anything? (Desperate here)

2. Any of you nice developers want to say something like YAY or NAY in this thread giving me a heads up of what is to come. You could be exclaiming your joy for my grammar and not giving me any top secret information... or you could be saying nay as to answer my first question. (There are plenty of clever loopholes)

Thank you for your time and read,

Davenukem
    Last edited by davenukem; 12/07/2009 at 09:37 PM.
    why cant you just swipe away the text message from the main screen ?? if i do that it throws them all away in that messaging convo?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Problem is with really long conversations doing that will cause the conversation to become hidden. What this means is that it won't ever show up again in the main text messaging application, you have to search for the person's name in order to find them and any new text messages they send you. So you can never know if there is a next text from there unless you click directly from the notification.
    after deleting the message convo just send them another text and it starts a new convo card when they reply doesnt it?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Nope, that's the problem. It doesn't do that. The text messaging app just hides them and you can't find them unless you search for their name. Highly inconvenient and time consuming.
    Even after swiping away the entire conversation and you send them one it keeps that as the start of the new group.
  7.    #7  
    Cowgirl, it doesn't even put them at the top. You have to search for their name in the messaging app to even see their text messages. It hides the entire conversation unless you manually search for them regardless of whether they have a new text or you send them a new text.
  8.    #8  
    Ugh anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    You have to search for their name in the messaging app to even see their text messages. It hides the entire conversation
    Mine deletes the entire thread of conversation and doesn't hide it. The most current conversation in text of mine is always at the top.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have had the same experience as the OP, but only happens to those contacts that I have several profiles linked with. It is very frustrating cause the only work around I have found is to unlink the profiles and then re-link to get messages to show up. This does need to be fixed.
    Last edited by ttkk1; 12/07/2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Platinum; Visor Phone, Palm Zire 72; Treo 270, 700p; Centro x2; Pixi, Pre
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I had this problem with my first pre. My second one doesnt do that. I think it has to do with the phone and when it was made. You may want to consider getting another pre if you don't mind the hassle.
    u have to do the webos doctor... mines was doing the same thing idk y tho... now looking bac @ it maybe i shoulda kept it like that... my side joint was the hidden convo... feelin like tiger woods
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i ran into this the other day. i had a month's worth of texting that i thought i had deleted, but when i received a new text from the person, the month's worth of texts were still there. so i closed out the conversation and looked at my main text screen and the conversation wasn't listed. i started typing in her name and it appeared again.

i still get notifications, so getting back into the conversation is easy for me. still, this should be addressed.

Edit:
    and by addressed, they should either eliminate the hidden texts, or make it something you can toggle on and off. it's a feature that could have some benefits...
    I had this happen to me a month or two ago but the unlink/relink the profiles trick worked for me and I haven't seen it since. I just assumed that 1.3.1 had fixed it for good but guess I've just been lucky, sorry to hear that it's still catching some of you out...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Just had this problem start happening to me. The 2 contacts had multiple profiles, I unlinked one of the profiles and now I can see their conversations in the messaging app.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'd like to find the database file and nuke it, does anyone know where it is?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    I remember that some people dropped a line about the fact that the app space limit was fixed in 1.3.5... so i can't see why they can't find some interesting way to say if this text messaging problem is fixed.

*EDIT* The text messaging problem, for those of you who don't know, is when you delete a very long conversation at once instead of individually deleting messages it will become a hidden conversation. This means that new text messages from this "hidden person" will show a notification and take you to a new card... but if you open the text messaging app it will not show the person unless you search for their name. So if you get a new text, dismiss it and go to check on them later if this person is "Hidden" they won't appear at the top of the list with a next text message. Rather you have to search for them in order to verify whether or not they were the ones who sent you the text.

There are workaround for it, but they are tedious and frankly I WANT TO DELETE MY TEXT MESSAGE THREADS I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A 3,000 PLUS TEXT MESSAGE CONVERSATION ON MY PHONE BECAUSE MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN OVERACTIVE TEXTER. And to delete 3,000 texts by hand is ridiculous.

So here are my questions.

1. IS there an easy way to delete these text messages, possibly delete the palm database with all the stored text messages or anything really? Can i root in and delete something, anything? (Desperate here)

2. Any of you nice developers want to say something like YAY or NAY in this thread giving me a heads up of what is to come. You could be exclaiming your joy for my grammar and not giving me any top secret information... or you could be saying nay as to answer my first question. (There are plenty of clever loopholes)

Thank you for your time and read,

Davenukem
    I don't care so much about the texts not beingthere but mother of GOD can I get a new window for the new ones.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    I'd like to find the database file and nuke it, does anyone know where it is?
    It's not quite that simple.
    All your data (contacts, email headers, memos, sms messages, ..., etc)
    are all stored in the same database file
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    It's fairly easy to copy that whole file to /media/internal (your USB drive)
    for any command line prompt.
    It can be opened and edited directly using a tool like the SQLite Manager
    add-on to Firefox. The trick is figuring out what to modify or delete
    without damaging the database in some unforeseen way.
    Right now I can root around in there and tell you, for instance that
    all your individual SMS messages from all conversations are stored in
    a table called:
    com_palm_pim_FolderEntry (I know.. very non-intuitive name).

All the SMS and IM threads are stored in a table called
    com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread

In *theory* you could delete everything from those two tables
    and pretty much wipe out all your SMS and IM conversations and start over.
    In practice, I don't know what other clutter that'd leave lying around as
    there's a bunch of linkage tables to tie the messages and threads to
    contacts and such. There are some triggers that should do some
    cleanup, but I'd bet that one of those triggers is what's causing this
    problem in the first place, not cleaning up everything it should.

Anyway, if anyone really wants to dig into this, that's where to look.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 12/10/2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's not quite that simple.
    All your data (contacts, email headers, memos, sms messages, ..., etc)
    are all stored in the same database file
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    It's fairly easy to copy that whole file to /media/internal (your USB drive)
    for any command line prompt.
    It can be opened and edited directly using a tool like the SQLite Manager
    add-on to Firefox. The trick is figuring out what to modify or delete
    without damaging the database in some unforeseen way.
    Right now I can root around in there and tell you, for instance that
    all your individual SMS messages from all conversations are stored in
    a table called:
    com_palm_pim_FolderEntry (I know.. very non-intuitive name).

All the SMS and IM threads are stored in a table called
    com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread

In *theory* you could delete everything from those two tables
    and pretty much wipe out all your SMS and IM conversations and start over.
    In practice, I don't know what other clutter that'd leave lying around as
    there's a bunch of linkage tables to tie the messages and threads to
    contacts and such. There are some triggers that should do some
    cleanup, but I'd bet that one of those triggers is what's causing this
    problem in the first place, not cleaning up everything it should.

Anyway, if anyone really wants to dig into this, that's where to look.

ian
    I definitely see your point; I work as a web developer and deal with SQL very often. When you start deleting data that other code and entries expect to be there, things can get ugly.

On another note...

I've tried the link-unlink fix, and now I've got dozens of blank entries at the base of the messaging conversation. I need to flick towards the top of the list about 3 times and then the actual messages in the thread show up. Swiping the blank space away brings up the [Delete,Cancel] options, but I can't delete.

Every time I receive a new message, I have to scroll up three times (flick, flick, flick) then my conversation pops into view, then if I reply, my response is no where to be seen until I do a back gesture, search for the conversation name again, and then enter the thread and swipe up three times again.

Un...Acceptable.

Palm also needs to find a way to push small updates without going through the supposed "Sprint Testing" phase. OTA updates are pointless if you can't get them to your customers quickly.
    I have never had this problem either till yesterday, the only thing i did was drop a couple of contact cards on my launcher page to make a kind of speed dial, so i wouldnt have to search them in my contact list, and those are the conversations this is happening with, gonna delete them off my launcher and see if it fixes problem.....maybe this will help one of you....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast