1.    #1  
    Whenever I am on an automated system and I need to press buttons during the call, the keypad blanks out intermittently and i can't press keys.

Anyone know why?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    mine was doing this too, very frustrating. Took it to the store and they said they couldnt fix it and ordered me a new phone.
    If you put your hand, or anything too close to the earpiece (to the right of it, actually,) then the screen will turn off.
    no 'Thanks'
    It just does look at bottom of screen and theres a button to bring keypad back its really no biggie
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    It just does look at bottom of screen and theres a button to bring keypad back its really no biggie
    I do believe they are referring to the screen going completely blank.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If thats the issue its a bit more serious
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    yes, that's what happens in this case. you are on a call with a VRU and need to enter some numbers. you go to press the numbers on the screen and it fades out without accepting the key touch.

on my old phone, it didnt work 9 times out of 10.
    I too have this problem. Proximity sensor a bit too sensitive?

I try to keep my fat fingers far from the earpiece (and attack the keypad from the bottom of the phone...if that makes sense), but it still happens from time to time.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    so, now I feel like a big dumba@& ... it's intentional. Should have known.

Unless someone has successfully used thier touchscreen on a call and can contradict this statement (because I may be wrong) ...
    The touchscreen on the Pre is disabled when you are on a call, this is to prevent your cheek from pressing the screen. However! if you slide open the keyboard, the numbers on the keyboard are active without having to use the ORANGE key and you can use those for the VRU responses.

seems so simple, can't believe I didn't think of it when I was getting so frustrated before.
    I use the touchscreen every day while on calls. Sounds like you might have a problem with the proximity sensor (or are holding the phone oddly) as that's what triggers the screen black out/disabling while on a call.
    Also some screen protectors have been known to interfere with the sensor. And the sensors do go bad sometimes, too.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    where is the proximity sensor? it may be that I am holding the phone wierd.

I have had one Pre replaced because I was havinf some issues, the touchscreen being one of them.
    The phone I have now also has touch screen issues while I am on a call, so if it's supposed to work, maybe I'll take this one in too.
    It's in the top-right corner of the Pre, right above the battery icon.

If you open Device Info, then go to Interactive Tests from the application menu, you can run the screen tests which includes a test of the proximity sensor.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V