1.    #1  
    Do adding patches and tweaks to the pre make it buggy/laggy/reset?
    The short answer is yes.

Patches are tweaks to the operating system. Many of the patch authors are trying to change a specific aspect of the system or add some features. Unfortunately many of these patches are not well tested and have unwanted effects on other parts of the operating system.

There is also the issues of how a patch is effected by other patches. It would almost be impossble for a developer to test all the possible combinations of patches that a user might load on his / her WebOS device so they dont. This is the most common reason why users have issues with multiple patches.

There is also the issue of WebOS updates. No matter how many times the community is warned to remove all patches before updating the OS there are always many who dont. This causes users endless problems and usually ends up requiring a Doctor session.

There is nothing wrong with patching but be sure to use patches that are developed by reputable developers. Before installing the patch, wait a while, read the thread and see what other users are experiencing with the patch. Be sure you learn exactly what files are being changed and why. Then be careful not to install any other patches that modify the same files. Be sure to remove all patches before a webOS update. If you follow these suggestions your patched Pre should not be any more buggy than a totally stock Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Actually most patches are simple changes to the Apps, just javascript files not actual tweaks to the Operating System.

There is always the possibility of incompatibility, especially with patches and new updates. Inherently they are confined to a single app and usually make a small change to it's behavior. In these cases you won't find problems, or they would be extra rare.

There are plenty of exceptions however. The smartreflex and scaling patches are tweaks to the Linux base procedures and can defiantly cause instability to the OS as it isn't prepared for this.

Overall you shouldn't be worried and should use any patches you think will improve your phone, with exceptions to the dangerous patches which are identified in Preware. If you stray away from the dangerous patches then the worse that could happen is the need to Dr. your phone, which only draw-back would be a possibility of loss of contacts.
    My pre became buggy from having a few patches.. I ran the EPR, and everything has been fine since. I really want to add my patches back, but afraid! :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The short answer is yes.
    Completely and totally wrong.

The short answer is, only badly written/untested patches.

The majority of patches you can install are completely and totally harmless, and won't even cause a serious issue if you forget to remove them before a WebOS update, as the update will simply write over the top of them. The only time you'll have any trouble (usually) is trying to re-install patches after an update, but the EPR usually fixes that.

There certainly are some patches that can cause problems for some users. However, I've yet to encounter any patch in Preware or WebOSQuickInstall that caused serious enough problems that you couldn't simply remove it.

So, if there's a patch you'd like to install, go for it. If it causes problems, then post your error in the discussion for that patch to help the developer improve it, and then remove the patch until it's fixed. It really is as easy as that.

The only thing I'd recommend beyond that, is that if you're concerned about stability of patches, do a little homework on a given patch before installing it, and don't go installing 15 different patches before heading to work on Monday morning. Install them one at a time, and do it when you'll be able to fix any problems before it becomes an issue, like friday, after work.

You can also alleviate most of the possible concerns by keeping all of your PIM data tied to a google or yahoo account, instead of depending on the sometimes unreliable palm profile, and backing up your USB storage area regularly.

An ounce of prevention.......
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Completely and totally wrong.
    Not really. While you're right, that poorly-written patches cause that, it appears that many fit that bill perfectly. There are issues all over the place with patches. So in general, "patches" make the Pre experience more bugs. The nature of patches lends to issues, since many are hacks, and unofficial--all aspects are not tested like Palm would probably do.

Who really cares though? The Pre is buggy to begin with, and I love the functionality the patches give me.
    no 'Thanks'
    My pre wasn't buggy before the patches, I have 19 patches and it is still not buggy/laggy.
    I guess it really depends on which patches you are running. I got about 15 or 20 installed on my pre, and the only issues I have experienced is that my WIFI doesn't turn off on it's own if my Pre is idle, and my alarm doesn't really go off anymore - I have to use a 3rd party app for my alarms. Other than that everything works just fine. Is it worth it to have patches installed at the expense of couple of bugs? I think so.

So it really depends which patches you are running. Sooner or later you will run across one which will create a bug.
    I have over 30 patches, and occasionally I get a strange problem, although it may just be the phone itself. And definitly nothing bad enough to make me pull any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My pre wasn't buggy before the patches, I have 19 patches and it is still not buggy/laggy.
    It all depends on which ones you install, and even which iteration of those patches, and what order you apply them.

Then, when a new WebOS version comes out, the cycle starts over again.
    no 'Thanks'
    The only path i have right now is the LED notification and the camera flash flashlight. Ive tried several other patches, but it seems that every time i install one other than the above two, my pre slows down quite a bit, or certain apps dont work correctly.

I cant say the patches slow down the pre, but it seems that way in my case. Maybe im just installing the less refined patches.

Dont give up though.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you everyone for answering. I've decided to just try patches 1 by 1 and see if any negative side effects occur. Hopefully I can get a few patches on my Pre without any lag or bugginess
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

The short answer is, only badly written/untested patches.
    Spot on! So, the answer to the question - Do patches make Pre buggy? NO!
    However, like any software, individual pactches can have/introduce bugs.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I had about 15-20 patches installed before 1.3.1 came out. When the update was available I told it to wait so I could take off the patches and theme I had. However, I plugged in the phone to charge it and didn't realize that would update install itself. I certainly wouldn't try it again but after the update installed I just wiped out all the patches by EPR and had to manually add/delete some through Quick Install and Preware. Eventually I added them all back with no issues. I never had to Doctor it.

I had to get a replacement phone this week due to a hardware issue (power button failure) so I'll see how a fresh phone runs before I install anything. I'll probably just wait for the next update.
    I have a bunch of patches without any bugs or lag. Or at least nothing I didn't see with the stock phone. To be honest, a lot of them are pretty safe and not risky at all, and shouldn't affect the performance or stability. Some may introduce issues, and some can be more dangerous (like CPU scaling). However, the majority just change how things look and won't really affect the phone.

Test out the ones you want, one by one, and check the forums. You should be pretty happy with what you get.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I have 16 or so patches installed. that's not a lot compared to some people, I know.

My phone is no more (or less) buggy than my wife's bone-stock Pixi.

I'm a little on the anal retentive side so, this might seem like a bit of overkill to some, but here's how I do things.

I have a Task Listed called "Patches".

I list every patch I've installed or am trying out.

If it's installed, it's got it's checkbox checked.

If it's not installed, it doesn't have a check mark.

I also have an entry in the list named "****WORKING****"

I move this up and down (just touch and hold an entry and you can move it up and down in the list) to mark where I'm at in my testing process.

When I had the WebOS-keeps-trying-to-reinstall problem, I uninstalled all patches and installed them back in small batches. I'd install a few, wait a few days and see of the problem came back.

Between the check boxes telling me which patches were installed and the "WORKING" tag telling me where I was at in the testing, it worked great.

The list is also extremely useful when a new WebOS version comes out.

You're going to have to uninstall any/all patches before you update. Once you're updated, you may or may not be able to reinstall all patches back right away (if they haven't been updated for the new version of WebOS, you won't be able to install them). Again, the list with checkboxes tells you which ones you've put back, and which ones are missing (so you can go search for them every 4 hours in Preware, like I do!!)

Anyway, that's my system. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    camera flash flashlight.
    Where is this patch located? I'd be interested in taking a look at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by apzippy View Post
    I had about 15-20 patches installed before 1.3.1 came out. When the update was available I told it to wait so I could take off the patches and theme I had. However, I plugged in the phone to charge it and didn't realize that would update install itself. I certainly wouldn't try it again but after the update installed I just wiped out all the patches by EPR and had to manually add/delete some through Quick Install and Preware. Eventually I added them all back with no issues. I never had to Doctor it.

I had to get a replacement phone this week due to a hardware issue (power button failure) so I'll see how a fresh phone runs before I install anything. I'll probably just wait for the next update.
    For anyone wanting more information on EPR, see the new Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) thread.

- Craig
    I just ended up using only patches found in WebOS installer and didn't even bother installing PreWare. So far no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    I just ended up using only patches found in WebOS installer and didn't even bother installing PreWare. So far no issues.
    Aside from some customization patches like opacity, they both use the exact same packages.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate