1.    #1  
    I'e been reading about the pre off and on for a few months, seriously considering one...

I've seen some suggestion that Palm has been improving build quality on the Pre over time and that newer devices are less likely to have issues. Is there any real evidence that bears this out or is it more likely that newer phones have fewer reported issues simply BECAUSE they are newer and less time has passed since purchase?

Thanks,
    John
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I've dealt with some fairly new pre's and think the quality is about the same. (i dont find the quality too bad anyway). I think for one, the oreo affect is about the same. I feared in the beginning that it would get worse with continued usage. However, mine has stayed the same.
    My lady got a Pre that was built in mid-July that had a faulty proximity sensor and had a lil griding noise when she slid it open & shut. We exchanged it for a new one that had a working proximity sensor and no grinding. That one was built in mid-July.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    i purchased my pre from Best Buy on Thanksgiving morning, received it that following Tuesday and so far (right at one week) it has vast improvements.

my Pre story in a nut shell. i purchased one day one, bad antenna. after a few days i could not use gps for the most part as it could not find me with such a weak antenna. the calls were staticy (i have no idea how to spell that, neither does spell check). dead pixels, and i guess it had a slight wiggle side so side but less then 1mm. the OS was a little slow. had the phone 2 weeks max.

Pre two was purchased 3 months later. pretty same thing bad antenna, could not get signal and battery was weak. a few dead pixels and a wiggle that was about 1mm (but i really dont care about that wiggle at all. and the phone was S.L.O.W. slow. froze some times etc. tolerated for 27 days.

this one so far is worlds better. feels more solid (except for the 1mm wiggle, but i dont sit and wiggle it back and forth, i think there all going to have that. after looking at how its done there is no way around it without adding bulk) and the OS is a lot more responsive, the antenna is perfect (except in the back of Wal-mart for some reason). the battery can drain a little fast if i have my bluetooth in (maybe 8 hours of use or more), but if not under a fair amount of use battery will last 11 hours, this includes about 30 min of GPS, texting, phone calls, some internet searching (facebook, presentral etc.), i have 3 e-mail accounts - one pushes, two check hourly, and i use g-talk on a regular basis.

i can say i am very happy with my new pre over all. i figured it would take them about 6 months or so to fix any problems and they beat that. but with x-mas upon us, i figured they had to or they would lose a lot of momentum.

i say take the plunge and get it when the deal is right. but buy one new not used as you dont know what build you will be getting.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    static-ee is not a word. That's why you wouldn't find it in a dictionary my friend.
    I got my pre in june, no problems yet
    Got mine the end of Oct.......with the exception of the wiggle, no other problems here.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    launch day pre. hardware is as durable as expected.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I vote for "staticky"
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I have had mine since October and have had zero issues!!! As a matter of fact I dropped it once about four feet straight to concrete with zero damage. I have broken phones a lot easier than that before.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Same here my wife and my pres bought in November, have great build quality very solid.
    Other then a battery creak which I fixed I've had no issues with my Pre since the day it was released. I think the people that go through 3+ Pre's are really damn picky or there in the WWF...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm concerned as well because my Pre should be delivered tomorrow and I don't want anything to happen to it during the 30-day trial.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    There is alot of exaggeration from iphone junkies on precentral, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised with how well the build quality is.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    Other then a battery creak which I fixed I've had no issues with my Pre since the day it was released. I think the people that go through 3+ Pre's are really damn picky or there in the WWF...
    in all honesty, I can't blame people for being picky. If I had dead pixels I'd deffnatly turn mine in until I got one without them (they can be really irritating) I myself try to be patient and usually don't tur in phones after having them awhile though. I do have a question though, has anyone else had the battery door just come off after time? Mine did a few weeks ago which left a tiny crack which has grown to just before where the screen starts. Ca I take it in for an exchange?
    Mine was purchased in october in uk and build quality is fine. As good as any other slide phone I've had. Definately get a screen protector though. Dropped mine and have slight chip in screen which is permenantly visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    in all honesty, I can't blame people for being picky. If I had dead pixels I'd deffnatly turn mine in until I got one without them (they can be really irritating) I myself try to be patient and usually don't tur in phones after having them awhile though. I do have a question though, has anyone else had the battery door just come off after time? Mine did a few weeks ago which left a tiny crack which has grown to just before where the screen starts. Ca I take it in for an exchange?
    Come to think about I do have a few dead pixels but I only see them when the camera is on. It doesn't effect the picture so it doesn't bother me. I just can't believe some of the posts that I've seen people that are on there 8th Pre. No matter how much I love a phone I would throw in the towel after the 3rd defective phone.