Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. mxu030's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
       #1  
    After using the Pre for 3 months, and a Hero for 1 month, I pretty much self convinced to keep the Pre after writing up a detailed review. If you can stomach a long read:

    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-palm-pre.html

    Also, I am looking to buy a replacement battery, and on eBay there are Treo batteries selling for $5-10 a pop which is said to work on the Palm Pre. I was just wondering if I'll notice any difference in performance or if there are compatibility issues vs. an OEM battery made specifically for the Pre.
  2. #2  
    Nice review, definitely worth the read.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    After using the Pre for 3 months, and a Hero for 1 month, I pretty much self convinced to keep the Pre after writing up a detailed review. If you can stomach a long read:

    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-palm-pre.html

    Also, I am looking to buy a replacement battery, and on eBay there are Treo batteries selling for $5-10 a pop which is said to work on the Palm Pre. I was just wondering if I'll notice any difference in performance or if there are compatibility issues vs. an OEM battery made specifically for the Pre.
    I'm not sure about the Treo batteries, but the Centro batteries are said to work fine by those who have used them. Palm's official stance, of course, is that you shouldn't use anything but the battery that was designed for the Pre.
  4. mxu030's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
       #4  
    Has anyone used the batteries for the Treo or Centro?
  5. #5  
    I use Centro batteries I bough on eBay and they work exactly the same as my stock Pre battery.
  6. #6  
    the treo 800w had the same battery as the centro as far as I know & it works in my pre I wish the treo pros bat would have came in the pre
  7. mxu030's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by roldo22 View Post
    I use Centro batteries I bough on eBay and they work exactly the same as my stock Pre battery.
    Gonna pick up a couple... can fit at least one in my wallet. Hehe
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    the treo 800w had the same battery as the centro as far as I know & it works in my pre I wish the treo pros bat would have came in the pre
    I'll 2nd that...I use my old Treo 800w battery every once in a while. Haven't noticed anything different.
  9. #9  
    Centro/Treo 800w. Careful not to go with 700 series Treo battery. I'm using a Centro battery right now and have used it many times before. It's the same.
  10. #10  
    The idea behind the battery thing is that allegedly the Pre battery has an environmental sensor (thermometer) that when tripped at high temps will force shut down the phone to prevent damage.

    Physically, there is nothing different about the Centro battery and the Pre other than that. So, take that for what it's worth.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  11. #11  
    There were many threads about this, going back to launch-day. It's highly recommended to not use the Centro batteries, because of some missing circuitry.

    Use them at your own risk. I assume the prices must be astronomically-different for people to be considering this.
    no 'Thanks'
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    The idea behind the battery thing is that allegedly the Pre battery has an environmental sensor (thermometer) that when tripped at high temps will force shut down the phone to prevent damage.

    Physically, there is nothing different about the Centro battery and the Pre other than that. So, take that for what it's worth.
    Thats A Great Way To explain It, Make sense now, Thanks
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    Also, I am looking to buy a replacement battery, and on eBay there are Treo batteries selling for $5-10 a pop which is said to work on the Palm Pre. I was just wondering if I'll notice any difference in performance or if there are compatibility issues vs. an OEM battery made specifically for the Pre.
    I've read good things in the accessories forum about the Mugen 1400mAh battery (made for the Pre, fits into it without modification, adds 200mAh capacity over the stock battery) but it probably can't compete with those eBay Treo/Centro batteries on price...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

    PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  14. jliu07's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #14  
    I wonder how the Pre will do against HTC Bravo/Passion/Dragon? Hopefully byy the time the Passion comes out Palm will give a huge OS update (video camera, virtual keyboard?, auto correct)
  15. #15  
    If there's not a Pre2 with 5mp+ autofocus/zenon flash/video, removable storage, with more solid hardware, by the time the Passion or HD2 release, I don't see many people sticking with WebOS.
    no 'Thanks'
  16. #16  
    I got a replacement pre and it came with a centro battery
    Ivan's Themes main thread

    Oklahoma Sooner theme

    If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
  17. jliu07's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    I got a replacement pre and it came with a centro battery
    Isn't the default battery for the Pre the 1150mAh? Which is the same battery used on the Centro?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If there's not a Pre2 with 5mp+ autofocus/zenon flash/video, removable storage, with more solid hardware, by the time the Passion or HD2 release, I don't see many people sticking with WebOS.
    I do agree with that. I love the OS but the hardware is just as important! I actually like the whole portrait keyboard though so I hope they keep it, and make it more BlackBerry-esque with the bigger screen perhaps.

Posting Permissions