1.    #1  
    so everything was great with my launch day pre until the headphone jack broke and I got a replacement pre.....it was the same time as the 1.3.1 release. Since then the phone has crashed randomly a lot, constantly laggy, and always complaining of not enough memory. Its so bad I don't even want to take it out next to my friends iphones......is this a 1.3.1 issue or the replacement phone? Anyone else feel this way?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    so everything was great with my launch day pre until the headphone jack broke and I got a replacement pre.....it was the same time as the 1.3.1 release. Since then the phone has crashed randomly a lot, constantly laggy, and always complaining of not enough memory. Its so bad I don't even want to take it out next to my friends iphones......is this a 1.3.1 issue or the replacement phone? Anyone else feel this way?
    Assuming Pre is crappy, how does it different from using cheap feature phone? Would you be embarrassed by if you only has a feature phone in front of iPhone users?
    Last edited by pogeypre; 12/07/2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    My Pre has held up very well after 3 months and I have none of the issues that you're talking about other than slight lag depending on what I'm doing. Looks like it might be the replacement phone.
    I think the more pertinent question is "Is your Pre satisfying your needs?"

If yes, then the titular question is irrelevant unless one of your "needs" is to be able to competitively showoff in the presence of iPhones.

I have more than a few iPhone-owning friends. Their showboating and inability to put it away sometimes in polite company has put me off on "showing off" any smartphone I own altogether. I have a Hero (had a Pre), and I have two friends with Droids.

They're great for us for now, and that's what's important.
    Even worse than that is the way that some of my iPhone-owning friends have nicer shoes than me. I've entirely stopped wearing shoes to avoid this embarrassment.

I also noticed that a lot of people have newer cars than mine, so I'm not driving any more. And the guy who lives next door to me has a better job, so I quit working.

Oh, and my brother just bought a house, while I live in an apartment. So I moved out. Now I live in a van, down by the river. But at least I'm not embarrassed
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Even worse than that is the way that some of my iPhone-owning friends have nicer shoes than me. I've entirely stopped wearing shoes to avoid this embarrassment.

I also noticed that a lot of people have newer cars than mine, so I'm not driving any more. And the guy who lives next door to me has a better job, so I quit working.

Oh, and my brother just bought a house, while I live in an apartment. So I moved out. Now I live in a van, down by the river. But at least I'm not embarrassed
    Does this go for the wife as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Does this go for the wife as well?
    Yes, she also has nicer shoes than I do. But shoe shopping is not easy for me, since it's rare to find something stylish that I can actually force my webbed feet into.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Here I will paste in what's become a common post of mine:

Had my Pre since launch day (June 6). No major problems. Love using it.
    Yes, she also has nicer shoes than I do. But shoe shopping is not easy for me, since it's rare to find something stylish that I can actually force my webbed feet into.
    You're shopping at the wrong stores...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I think you guys are missing the point. The OP wants to know if this is normal behavior.

No, it isn't. It is probably a crappy replacement. Go to Sprint and ask if they can order you a refurb straight from Palm (used for demos or teaching). Those are generally better quality than pre-owned Pre's.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor

Any room in the van ?

I feel if the Palm pre is still a beta release and we are all , paying them to test there phone.
    Last edited by Boggs3010; 12/07/2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: cause
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I can't say I've had the level of issues the OP has, but two of the three times my pre has crashed have occurred after 1.3.1. and I have seen the "not enough memory bug" twice since 1.3.1 But its not a common occurrence, but it worries me a little. I'm defintely not trying to back to Palm OS where my phone crashed without fail 5 times a week. Sometimes it helps to do a reset every two days, to clear out memory and what not. If it does this a lot, maybe try doctoring it.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Um ok I though by embarrassing you I though you meant with things like,
    You get a dirty text and the pre is sitting on table in plan view of co workers and in plan view is the first sentence of you text.

Or like you hit the speaker phone button on the way to putting it up to your ear and the person on the other end start talking dirty while your walking out of the office and you scramble to switch it off speaker phone etc.

Stuff like that is embarrassing I have not had any of the issues you are experiencing. Have you tried using the Web Os Doctor to see if the OTA update to 1.3.1 is causing problems? If the doctor doesn't help I would go to the sprint store and ask them to order in a replacement.
    after switching to the pre from treo 700p, i find myself saying things like "hang on a second... my phone's acting buggy" or "oh, my new phone doesn't do that" when i used to say things like "i love my treo".
    this isn't an embarrassment issue and had i not been so proficient with my treo, i wouldn't be as disappointed.
  15.    #15  
    the reason its embarrassing is because I talked this phone up a lot and it isn't holding up.....also the pointof this post is to see if you guys are having similar issues...sounds like ur not the issue is with my replacement pre...
    Some consolation for you. iPhone users on AT&T can get "embarrassed" too. There's no way I'd try showing anyone the data connection without warning them it may drop off or not connect at all, some of the time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    the reason its embarrassing is because I talked this phone up a lot and it isn't holding up.....also the pointof this post is to see if you guys are having similar issues...sounds like ur not the issue is with my replacement pre...
    have you done anything with the phone like homebrew or patches or anything like that!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There's a few things you can try:

- Clear the cache, history and cookies from your browser
    - Reset the phone every few days
    - If you're desperate, use the webOS Doctor to reset the phone to factory defaults. WARNING: this one is dangerous and you will lose saved data and apps.

All 3 of these have helped me.
    My BB Storm used to crash everyother day, the BB CS rep told me that I should pull the battery in the morning and then again at lunch. Seriously? My 6 month old pre has never crashed, I never pull the battery and I have preware and patches running on it. Wonder why there is a difference from phone to phone when it comes to things like crashing and lagging.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfubhuda View Post
    - If you're desperate, use the webOS Doctor to reset the phone to factory defaults. WARNING: this one is dangerous and you will lose saved data and apps.
    It is not dangerous the data (photos music etc) are no longer wiped it seems with the 1.3.1 doctor. Apps and personal data are for the most part re downloaded after you log back into your palm profile.

The only things not put back on the phone are home brew and patches, and now with 1.3.1 you have to log into your other accounts you sync with.

Nothing dangerous about it. It can be time consuming but many of us including myself have doctored our phone numerous times with no issues.