1.    #1  
    i apologize if this has already been asked and answered but i keep getting keep getting phone could not establish data connection error. seems to have started doing it after this latest update and at least 3 times a day. anyone else experiencing this and know a fix or what may be causing it? the only patch i am running is the led notification.
    I had this issue and posted as well..others have been experiencing it, but no one had a fix. My issue was not service related. I have FULL service when my phone says "could not establish data connection" and I was not moving around. Just sitting at my work desk! Not only that, it would also do it at my home when I was connected to WiFi. It's quite annoying and i cant figure out why it does it. I havent had the chance to take it into Sprint yet. I hope you find a solution, I'll be checking in to find.
    I've been seeing this since the 1.3.1 update. Between one and four times daily. Has anyone found the cause and cure?
    I too am having this issue...
    I too saw this last week but was traveling on the east coast when it happened. I thouht is was a roaming error.
    I also get it every once in a while. I just click ok(or whateveR) and it goes away and the phone seems to be working fine.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the workaround is to find that 1 square millimeter of space where you have a full signal and never move your pre from that spot, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    the workaround is to find that 1 square millimeter of space where you have a full signal and never move your pre from that spot, ever.

I know that you are being sarcastic but I don't think it is a signal strength issue. I have 3 to 5 bars when this happens and it had never happened prior to a few weeks ago. My guess is that it is related either to the 1.3.1 update or one of the apps/patches that I installed. If not that then some other Sprint related issue. Gee, maybe Sprint is upgrading to EVDO here in West Texas (that's called "wishful thinking" folks). Maybe those of us paying the same price for 1X service as those having EVDO should get up a class action lawsuit against Sprint
    I have seen this warning since 1.3.1 also. Does not seem to be loosing signal so I am not to worried about it. Nice to see I am not the only one.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I have been seeing this a lot too recently. It happens in the same areas where I have never seen it happen prior to the 1.3.1 update.
    I've noticed when i get the error i have bars too BUT my EV icon is gone, the error does say data connection not voice...then when i click ok EV comes back... anyone else?
    if your phone doesnt get a cellular data connection in the area that you are in, everytime its unlocked, or everytime it trys to get email or anything, that warning is gonna come up, what you do is go into phone prefs and shut off data connection.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    I know that you are being sarcastic but I don't think it is a signal strength issue. I have 3 to 5 bars when this happens and it had never happened prior to a few weeks ago. My guess is that it is related either to the 1.3.1 update or one of the apps/patches that I installed. If not that then some other Sprint related issue. Gee, maybe Sprint is upgrading to EVDO here in West Texas (that's called "wishful thinking" folks). Maybe those of us paying the same price for 1X service as those having EVDO should get up a class action lawsuit against Sprint
    on a more serious note, i agree its at least partially 1.3.1 as i didn't have it until then. i havent had it as much lately. interesting that you see it w/ 1x coverage only. i thought it was a 3g issue. i'd really blame it on 1.3.1.

i can't imagine the pre w/out 3g. i hope they bring you 3g soon so you can see the power the pre really has.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    on a more serious note, i agree its at least partially 1.3.1 as i didn't have it until then. i havent had it as much lately. interesting that you see it w/ 1x coverage only. i thought it was a 3g issue. i'd really blame it on 1.3.1.

i can't imagine the pre w/out 3g. i hope they bring you 3g soon so you can see the power the pre really has.
    I've seen the EVDO in action when I visit Austin. It is at least 5 times as fast as 1X. It really is frustrating. The 1X service is virtually useless. Thanks for your good wishes!

Tony
  15.    #15  
    hey atalbert, i heard evdo is coming very soon to our areas, im from san angelo. i drive an 18 wheeler to lubbock often and they are barely rolling out evdo service there. midland/odessa are next, ive heard people in midessa have successfully put their phone in evdo only and been able to use it in your area. i wish san angelo would roll out evdo asap, sprint is the only carrier with no 3g coverage in the area. 1xrtt is frustrating!
    I dont think its related to the signal at all.....something is going on that requires it to drop and reestablish the connection....Never actually lose it for more than a second, but it does get annoying and it happens maybe 3-4 times a week....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Thanks, Influenze! That would be a nice Christmas (or does the government require me to say Holiday?) present! Of course the rumor might just be Sprint disinformation to keep us rowdy West Texans quiet

We go thru San Angelo frequently since our son lives in Austin. Nice town. Safe driving!

Tony
    Last edited by atalbert; 12/08/2009 at 11:12 AM.
    This happens when I'm even connected to wifi. Is there a patch that can disable this alert? I really don't need to know every time my phone loses a data connection for 2 seconds...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    FWIW, I've had this issue ever since 1.3.1. The curious part is two of my friends don't seem to experience it and the problem for me still exists after 1.3.5.

I spoke to Sprint along with a conference with Palm tech support. Surprisingly, Palm is aware of this issue and *thought* it would resolve with 1.3.5. The asked me a bunch of questions etc, but at least this isn't some random thing, apparently they've received enough calls on this that they are considering it a known issue at this point. Well, that's what Palm tech support said...