1.    #1  
    I have yet to figure out how to get any weather app to alert me to a severe weather situation. I have Weatherbug Elite, The Weather Channel, and Weatherman. So far, none of these apps open up and tell you about a severe weather alert, which annoys me. Weatherman puts up a "!" if there is an alert, but right now during a Winter Storm Watch, it's not showing anything. Both weatherbug and channel show the alert when opened, but do not alert without being opened. Any ideas?
    none of the apps do what you want, but you can sign up for free text alrerts at weather.com.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    alerts.aol.com is good but you get a lot of messages - on order of every hour sometimes when its updated to include new/different areas, or changes in the timeframes to the alert
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    none of the apps do what you want, but you can sign up for free text alrerts at weather.com.
    true...that's what i do
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Try cellwarn.com . I signed up late in the summer, but did get a few warnings.
  6.    #6  
    So I should just chalk this up to another thing WebOS cannot do that almost all other mobile OS's can do? On the FREE blackberry version of Weatherbug, it alerts you when there is a weather alert.
    Why is this something none of the webOS weather apps can do? All these apps can run in the background, and they do, so why not alert me for these things?

LAME
    The premium Accuweather app will tell you that there is a special weather announcement for your area. It shows a big red "!", and when you click on it says some thing like "There is a severe weather statement for your area." Not as good as the weather page of the local paper. It does have full motion radar that seems accurate.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by starburst View Post
    The premium Accuweather app will tell you that there is a special weather announcement for your area. It shows a big red "!", and when you click on it says some thing like "There is a severe weather statement for your area." Not as good as the weather page of the local paper. It does have full motion radar that seems accurate.
    Yeah, all the apps do that. What i need is an alert on the screen even when the apps are closed. Even with the apps open in the background, they wont do anything if an alert comes in, just display a ! on the card. Not helpful.
    Well, it should be technically feasable. Pack and Track, the app for webos that lets you track your packages, alerts you every time one of your packages make it to a new destination, it comes up just like a text message in an alert window, and when you click on it, it even opens the app. So, if they can do it, I am sure Weather Bug and the Weather Channel App can do that too. Maybe we need to send those boys some email so they wil integrate it into their next version. Weatherbug Elite did upgarde the zooming of the radar map. The one on the original release version just got bigger and blurry, so they are working on improving things. I too am very disappointed that they don't do the alerts properly since we all know webOS is perfect for this!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well, it should be technically feasable. Pack and Track, the app for webos that lets you track your packages, alerts you every time one of your packages make it to a new destination, it comes up just like a text message in an alert window, and when you click on it, it even opens the app. So, if they can do it, I am sure Weather Bug and the Weather Channel App can do that too. Maybe we need to send those boys some email so they wil integrate it into their next version. Weatherbug Elite did upgarde the zooming of the radar map. The one on the original release version just got bigger and blurry, so they are working on improving things. I too am very disappointed that they don't do the alerts properly since we all know webOS is perfect for this!
    Agreed, that is exactly what I'm talking about. If other apps can do it, why not ANY weather app. Blackberry can do it, winmo can do it, im sure android can do it. This is just lame.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Your best bet is to send a feature request to the program author(s)... Copy in their support and sales departments, for good measure.

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    This is what I do as well. Why run another program in the background on your phone when you can offload the service to someone else.
    alerts.aol.com will send you a text message. This would save battery as opposed to having an application running in the background polling a server somewhere... check it out, you might like it!
    I found some of the cell alerts to be 15 to 20 minutes later that when the alert was issues. I use Twitter to get my alerts. IEMBOT_GSP. GSP is the 3 digit code for the NWS in my area. I beleive they are up for all NSW places now.