Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am currently in India.
    I have been dying to purchase the phone since the time it was released.
    But unfortunately the phone does not seem to be released here any time soon.

I am planning to purchase the phone from UK, an O2 locked Pre.
    I plan to get Rebel Sim along with it so that I can use it with my GSM provider here in India.
    I do not have 3G service for my provider.

I would like to know If there would be any issues Updating the phone using the above setup.

My preferred option would be to update using a Laptop (download the Update and update using the USB Cable) or using a WIFI

I was going thru the "how-add-homebrew-apps-patches-and-themes"
    During Install "WebOS Quick Install"
    When asked which carrier choose Sprint unless you have Bell Mobility, etc.

Now once I get the phone which option would I be selecting?
    Would I be able to Update the WebOS.. i.e 1.3.1 or 1.3.5

And these updates are they possible using a laptop ?
    Can I Backup my Phone Data on the Laptop ?

Wondering if Someone has a Pre in India ?
    it's great with no problems! been using for a month now!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply chrislo..

Can you provide more info regarding the purchase.. the price.. rebel sim..
    The carrier u r using.. I would be using it on Airtel

Anything I should make a note of while purchasing from UK.
    I am thinking of purchasing from eBay UK.. Generally opened boxes.. may be used
    Last edited by zeushunt; 12/07/2009 at 06:40 AM.
    i guess the best idea could be to buy an German Palm pre over ebay (as you are already planning to buy over ebay) as it comes unlocked and will not require any rebel SIM, i have sent one to my wife and its working perfectly.
  5.    #5  
    I wish I could get the german Palm pre shipped to india...
    depends on luck.... keep trying and check for a genuine seller... believe me its worth than struggling with rebel SIM.....
    Expansys might ship internationally - they seem to buying up all the unlocked German Pres at the moment...
    you can check it in eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerstücke, Sportartikel und mehr – alles zu günstigen Preisen , you can use any ebay ID to login and search for palm pre, all should be unlocked only....and go for a good rating seller....

i got mine (brand new) on ebay only in bidding for 350Euros...
  9.    #9  
    Expansys £499.99 damm costly. = $820
    One can get an Unlocked version for $590 from China

Is there a difference between Unlocked and Rebel SIM Unit.. ?
    Hey all...just bought a UK Pre (was already activated) with Rebel SIM II and using it on Airtel in NCR region. Works absolutely fine with voice and data!! This is an awesome phone (and far, far better than the iPhone 3G)

The only issue I've encountered is that the firmware is on 1.1.3 (GSM) and hitting the update button says that phone is 'up to date'.

Can anyone help me with this please?
    Also, how can I doctor the phone so that I can create a new palm profile?
    Hey all...just bought a UK Pre (was already activated) with Rebel SIM II and using it on Airtel in NCR region. Works absolutely fine with voice and data!! This is an awesome phone (and far, far better than the iPhone 3G)

The only issue I've encountered is that the firmware is on 1.1.3 (GSM) and hitting the update button says that phone is 'up to date'.

Can anyone help me with this please?
    Also, how can I doctor the phone so that I can create a new palm profile?

* 28/12 Update:
    Used WebOS meta-doctor and I'm up and running 1.3.1 now (with a new Palm profile)! Everything is snappier and definitely this phone is something different - I bought gsyncit and can't believe that I'm so well connected to my office now! awesome! The only gripe is the same as everybody else's - battery life..I'm getting 10% drain per hour with minimal settings (email every 1 hr, all location services off, no hotmail, wifi on etc)
    Last edited by abhinandanjain; 12/28/2009 at 03:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeushunt View Post
    Hi,

I am currently in India.
    I have been dying to purchase the phone since the time it was released.
    But unfortunately the phone does not seem to be released here any time soon.

I am planning to purchase the phone from UK, an O2 locked Pre.
    I plan to get Rebel Sim along with it so that I can use it with my GSM provider here in India.
    I do not have 3G service for my provider.

I would like to know If there would be any issues Updating the phone using the above setup.

My preferred option would be to update using a Laptop (download the Update and update using the USB Cable) or using a WIFI

I was going thru the "how-add-homebrew-apps-patches-and-themes"
    During Install "WebOS Quick Install"
    When asked which carrier choose Sprint unless you have Bell Mobility, etc.

Now once I get the phone which option would I be selecting?
    Would I be able to Update the WebOS.. i.e 1.3.1 or 1.3.5

And these updates are they possible using a laptop ?
    Can I Backup my Phone Data on the Laptop ?

Wondering if Someone has a Pre in India ?
    I have and iam using happily in Delhi....waiting for 1.3.5 update
  13.    #13  
    Ordered my Pre thru eBay.
    Its an O2 phone with Rebel SIM.
    It will only get it in my hands next month around 21st

Am just a little confused with the Palm Pre profile.
    I think the seller would already a profile with his email (his info)

I think the first thing I would do is Upgrade it to 1.3.5.2 using webdoctor.
    I am wondering will it allow me create/register a new profile with my email/info ?
    Just got a qwertz german unlocked pre. It was already activated in germany before being shipped to me. Popped in my Idea SIM (Pune), and voice works fine. However:

1. SMS does not work
    2. GPRS / EDGE does not work (works fine on my Treo 680)
    3. The sender created a profile for activation
    4. I was able to officially update to 1.3.5.2
    5. App catalog sees 209 apps

I'd really like to hard reset and start over, but am afraid I won't be able to activate and create a profile. The whole WebOS Doctor thing seems pretty complicated, as I do not have any command line skills (yet).

Any ideas how to get SMS & 2G Data to work? Help would be much appreciated.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    I think once you use WebOS Doctor you will restore the phone to factory settings.

That would be like you are using the phone for the first time.

Setting a profile I think is easy. I have only done it once and that is in Nov 2009. It was pretty simple.

SMS should work without a problem. I don't understand why it isn't working for you. May be after using WebOs Doctor it will work?
    Another options for you is to get a Spanish Pre, (QWERTY not QWERTZ) which can be IMEI unlocked by the seller. (P|C user goma). You can read of the experiences (all good) of buyers in this thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...heres-how.html

I bought one for use in Australia and can recommend goma.
    Update:

Using this method:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-settings.html

I was able to get SMS & Data (Edge) working. Yayyy!

Thanks to all those guys - palmdoc2005, Dick99999, Der Jens, dubiki.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Bought German O2 Pre
    Activated my profile in USA
    Came here to Mumbai
    Phone works - Wifi does not. GPRS does not work. Ringer incoming dead
    Tried to reset
    Now cannot login to profile
    Remember WebOS means you have to have web available, hence sending phone back to USA as India Asia Pacific Palm cannot help.
    Webdoctor did not load up on Ubuntu either and I have 1.2.1.

Any Ideas guys?
  19.    #19  
    Go thru Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Use the cygwin method

Use Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    O2 Germany, UK version 1.4.1

to create a doctored image

I use
    BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    makefile settings

Once done creating the .jar file
    reimage the phone...
    you should be able to boot webos without the need for Profile
    Enable wifi... check Internet connection
    Start First Use Icon from launcher to Create a New profile (use a new Email Address)
    If it does not complete and restarts Luna then you will have to manually get it back (instruction in the forum.. Search with appinfo.json)

With 1.4.1 there is radio issues.. so there are a few things u need to perform Search with castleumtsfw.tar
    Or
    - Download the older 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor
    - Then unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next copy the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using WebOSQuickInstall->SendFile

- Then connect phone using the WebOSQuickInstall and enter the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

Receive file:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/resources/en_gb/appinfo.json
    Last edited by zeushunt; 06/03/2010 at 06:08 AM.
    @hasnainpatel: Use WebOS meta-doctor, bypass activation profile and that should get the phone working.

Wifi does not work during the activation/first-use process if you use the normal WebOS doctor (but works in the meta-doctor as it allows you to bypass that).

If Wifi did not work during normal use of the phone at any other time, then there could be a fault in your phone.

Search the forum for the meta-doctor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast