Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I was running 1.3.1, put on the Smartreflex 500 patch to try to improve my abysmal battery life, and, by late afternoon, my phone was locking up. By the 3rd reboot, it had locked at the PALM splash screen. So, I pulled up WebOS Doctor and did a restore. I could have sworn I used the current version. I didn't even think I had the old version on my system (I deleted them all yesterday), or that an old version would even work. Anyway, I now have 1.1 again.

    I remember getting some pretty impressive power use out of 1.1. I even shut off auto update so I wouldn't get forced to the next level. It was only an issue I had with my device's drive refusing to recognize free space (I deleted some stuff and it still thought I hadn't), that cause me to turn auto update back on and WebOS doctor up to 1.2.1 and, subsequently to 1.31.

    BUT, really, I have found no actual benefit from being at those levels. No performance improvement (in fact, performance has been rather sluggish) and battery life is almost as ridiculous as it was with the first release of WebOS. Each new update seems more like rearranging a closet because there's nothing better to do.

    So... what do you all think I should do? Shut off auto update again and hunker down until the next decent version of WebOS comes out (i.e., when they get the battery life managed again, AND finally build in the video camera that iPhone and Android already have--explain to me why one gui-based LINUX driven OS can have a video camera and another can't?)? Or join the masses, update to 1.3.1, and try my luck with the Powersave Smartreflex 500 patch again, or maybe the Powersave CPU Scaling patch? Anything that will improve performance and battery life and hopefully not brick my phone again.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    lol you loaded it with the 1.1 web doctor ?! wow you must not have thrown it away . do what you want but the phone does have a little better performance as compared to the earlier webos's im my opinion . but you cant use patches or apps from the catalogs and stuff either can you . not without the chance at truly borking your phone lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #3  
    You should update just because IMO there has been a speed increase and better battery performance since update
  4.    #4  
    Again, my dilemma is that I've noticed nothing but a fall off in battery performance since the updates. I need to recharge 2 to 3 times a day with light to moderate use. Under 1.1, with no CPU scaling and no patches or tweaks, I could get an easy 12-16 hours of power use (just imagine using your phone like a kid who can't put his PS2 down all day). Anything I wanted, as much as I wanted, EXCEPT GPS (voice, txt, emails, web, music) would still leave me with about 25% power after 12-16 hours. Under 1.3.1, I can kill half my battery by noon doing nothing but making a few phone brief phone calls, and sending a few texts and emails.

    I've had my phone off the charger for about an hour and a half or two hours, and it's been sitting at 100%. That would have dropped at least 10% just from sitting on my belt, under 1.3.1. I think I'll sit at 1.1 for a few days and see what happens.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Again, my dilemma is that I've noticed nothing but a fall off in battery performance since the updates. I need to recharge 2 to 3 times a day with light to moderate use. I could get an easy 12-16 hours of power use (just imagine using your phone like a kid who can't put his PS2 down all day). Anything I wanted EXCEPT GPS would still leave me with about 25% power after 12-16 hours. I can kill half my battery by noon doing nothing with 1.3.1. And, I don't do much with apps or tweaks or whatever, so I don't see the benefit. I guess I could update and, if I really hate it, Go back level and sit there. I'll give it a few days maybe first and see what happens.
    did you ever think your battery could be the problem here??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    did you ever think your battery could be the problem here??
    I have three batteries. All of them perform at the same level. It's the software. I also had a couple of Pre's under 1.1 (one overheated and the other I dropped) and they all performed the same way.

    Thanks for asking though, it's a good question.
  7.    #7  
    So, I went to 1.3.1 and killed 4% of my battery in a 15 minute phone call, even with data turned off. I went 4 hours at 1.1 with data turned off last night, and held 100% the whole time. Someone tell me again, why 1.3.1 is worth the effort with the dramatically reduced battery life?
  8.    #8  
    I know I'm being a little redundant here, but running 1.3.1 TODAY, I lost 40% of my battery power every 4 hours, with data turned off most of the time (maybe 10 minutes worth of time checking emails or looking something up really quickly), making about 30 minutes worth of calls (20 or so, quick calls) and sending/receiving about 60 texts. I recharged easily 3 times, maybe 4.

    Again, last night, running 1.1 with data off, I stayed at 100% for 4 hours. The power didn't budge until I spent a bunch of time rearranging my icons, including moving them from page to page, which I found, ironically, eats power. That dropped me about 15% over about an hour. But, I have noticed that on all update levels.

    Again, I have had multiple phones under 1.1. and my battery performance was stellar. I have 3 batteries now, and they all perform the same under 1.1 (great! easy 12-16 hours of heavy use) and 1.2.1/1.3.1 (about 10% loss per hour with minimal use, drops like a stone if I so much as make a phone call--6% power drop for a 15 minute phone call).

    Believe it or not, I'm not closed minded. I really am looking for someone to sell me on why 1.3.1 is better. Right now, I feel like I have a laptop that I need to plug in everywhere I go, because the battery burns too easily. I would even bite if someone could tell me which of the several Smartreflex or CPU Scaling patches will turn my phone back into a workhorse. Unfortunately, I used Smartreflex 500, which I understood was the more stable one, and that offered dramatically improved power management. I didn't notice a remarkable improvement, and it bricked my phone within a few hours, which us what led me to the accidental WebOS Doctoring back to 1.1.

    Other than being able to forward texts, and consolidating some functions, like putting GPS under the "Auto Locate" function, what did 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 actually bring to the table over 1.1 that is worth the power loss? And, why can't they get power management back where it was? I'm all ears, so to speak.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I know I'm being a little redundant here, but running 1.3.1 TODAY, I lost 40% of my battery power every 4 hours, with data turned off most of the time (maybe 10 minutes worth of time checking emails or looking something up really quickly), making about 30 minutes worth of calls (20 or so, quick calls) and sending/receiving about 60 texts. I recharged easily 3 times, maybe 4.

    Again, last night, running 1.1 with data off, I stayed at 100% for 4 hours. The power didn't budge until I spent a bunch of time rearranging my icons, including moving them from page to page, which I found, ironically, eats power. That dropped me about 15% over about an hour. But, I have noticed that on all update levels.

    Again, I have had multiple phones under 1.1. and my battery performance was stellar. I have 3 batteries now, and they all perform the same under 1.1 (great! easy 12-16 hours of heavy use) and 1.2.1/1.3.1 (about 10% loss per hour with minimal use, drops like a stone if I so much as make a phone call--6% power drop for a 15 minute phone call).

    Believe it or not, I'm not closed minded. I really am looking for someone to sell me on why 1.3.1 is better. Right now, I feel like I have a laptop that I need to plug in everywhere I go, because the battery burns too easily. I would even bite if someone could tell me which of the several Smartreflex or CPU Scaling patches will turn my phone back into a workhorse. Unfortunately, I used Smartreflex 500, which I understood was the more stable one, and that offered dramatically improved power management. I didn't notice a remarkable improvement, and it bricked my phone within a few hours, which us what led me to the accidental WebOS Doctoring back to 1.1.

    Other than being able to forward texts, and consolidating some functions, like putting GPS under the "Auto Locate" function, what did 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 actually bring to the table over 1.1 that is worth the power loss? And, why can't they get power management back where it was? I'm all ears, so to speak.
    I haven't done extensive testing on my battery, but just to give you an idea, I left my phone on (with data on) overnight (10 hours or so) and it lost like 3% of it's battery. Granted, I didn't get tons of emails or anything... When I'm at home I don't use my cell for calls much, but over the course of the day with normal usage it doesn't drop much. Normal being some emails, some chatting, maybe checking Preware, etc.

    Not to say battery life is great, but I don't see the drain that you do at all.

    If you check the SmartReflex and CPU scaling threads you can see what people are getting on "stock" 1.3.1 as a decline per hour and compare what you see to that.
  10. #10  
    Oh - and given what you are seeing, I don't know that I would upgrade... The changes in 1.3.1 were nice, and gave me better performance and battery life, but if they are doing the opposite for you, then maybe 1.1 is a better choice.

    There has been note of the battery meter needing to adjust when going to 1.3.1 in some threads. Or with a new battery. Maybe the level isn't actually what is being shown? Perhaps the battery switching has things confused? Have you run the battery down to a really low level or just swap out when it's getting a bit low? (I don't know enough about how the battery meter works, but maybe somebody else could comment. I did read that it can take a couple of cycles to get things working accurately)

Posting Permissions