Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    okay. So I have been using the sprint slider case on my palm pre for a couple weeks now. I love it. But I decided to take it off my pre today and I noticed a lot of marks on the edges of the phone. I'm baffled. The case is supposed to prevent the phone from getting scratched and scuffed yet ironically, it's the one causing the marks.

anyone else have any experiences like this??? wis there anything I can do?

my phone is all scuffed up on the mirror and keyboard from the skider and now the edged of the pre are marked up from the case. I baby this thing. Do you think I'm able to get a refurb?
    yes i have same problem no there is nothing you can do its caused by dust getting under case
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Those scratches are not from the case. I have the same scratches on mine because of the slider on the Pre. I take great care of mine too but the hardware on the phone is just shoddy.
    If everything still works, I doubt very much that you would be able to get a refurb. I have this case too, but for me the amount of protection this case lets me ignore a few minor blemishes.
    If you're looking for an alternative, I recommend Zag's Invisible Shield. I bought mine at Best Buy. I don't recommend paying them to put it on. I found that out the hard way. They put the 1st one on I bought & 2 weeks later my screen cracked. I replaced the phone & installed the next one myself. Did just as good as they did & my phone is fine. I've dropped it a couple of times & still no scratches. By the way, I believe the 1st one cracked because of the heat gun I saw the tech using to apply the shield.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    It's definately from the case. The one I put on my TP stayed on for a long time. Once I took it off there were scratches and pits all around the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcled View Post
    If you're looking for an alternative, I recommend Zag's Invisible Shield. I bought mine at Best Buy. I don't recommend paying them to put it on. I found that out the hard way. They put the 1st one on I bought & 2 weeks later my screen cracked. I replaced the phone & installed the next one myself. Did just as good as they did & my phone is fine. I've dropped it a couple of times & still no scratches. By the way, I believe the 1st one cracked because of the heat gun I saw the tech using to apply the shield.
    Heat gun , LOL , W t F ????
    thats why I took off my innocase.
    I don't use a shield for my screen. The display seems veeery scratch resistant. My mirror and the back of my phone have some scratches, though. =(
  10.    #10  
    The screen really isn't that scratch resistant to be totally honest. You must be looking at the thing in a dark room or something. Take it out in the sun and you will see how scratched up the thing is. Not deem scratches... But hair line scratches.

Do they have to order a refurb to swap out if you take it into the store? Or if you take it in will they swap it out right then and there? Reason I'm asking because I will have to WEBOS doctor mine because I have the thing patched to kingdom come!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    You all crack me up! Do you think anyone who gets paint damage or fading after buying and using a car-bra, can take it to the dealer and get a replacement car because of it? Geez. A case that YOU put on, allows dust to get trapped inside of it, causes pits and scratches, now you want Sprint to replace your phone because of your own personal decision?

And yeah, the Pre's screen is not really scratch resistant at all... I had a lot of small scratches in mine just from wiping the damn thing off on a clean cloth.
    I've encountered this before. I've had cases that had metal rivets inside, or even rough, plastic thread holding the leather together, that rubbed, scratched and even chipped my phone.

Sprint considers esthetic damage caused by the case that is actually meant to protect the phone, to be "normal wear and tear". The case manufacturers have verbiage on their website somewhere, that you are legally supposed to have looked up, that states that they are not responsible for any damaged caused by their product.

BUT! That does not mean there is no hope! Depending upon the depth of the scratches, you need 3 products: 1) Ultra fine wet/dry sand paper (800 or 1000 grit will do, I think). 2) Simichrome polishing paste. It comes in a little, yellow, toothpaste style, metal tube. You should find it at home depot or Lowes, or a local auto shop. But, may have to shop on line. 3) Meguiars Plastic Polish.

If the scratches are very minor, go strait to the Meguiars polish and follow the directions. If a little deeper, go to the simichrome for a bit, then use the Meguiars for the finishing touch and protection. If you have scratches you can stick your finger nail into, that seem to cut the outer layer of enamel on the phone, rub it smooth with the wet dry sand paper (slightly damp or dry will work fine). When it's smooth and the finish is matte, start with the simichrome, which will take you to a near mirror polish, if not to a mirror. Then go to the Meguiars. This should work just fine for you. I've done it with much success. NOTE: ONLY use the Meguiars plastic polish on the screen itself, and only in moderation. Don't sit and rub forever trying to get every tiny scratch out, or you will take off the protective layer of the screen. Also, keep it off the button.

As for cases... I recommend going naked except for a screen protector and using a Palm brand, belt pouch or something by Covertec they do an awesome job of lining their stuff so it won't scratch yours. Or, if you must, go with one of the invisible shield or other, all over phone condom.

Good luck!
  13.    #13  
    First off there's a lot more to the scuffs that the Case caused.

Look at my previous thread here.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...like-woah.html

The slider did some hardcore damage to my phone. This alone should be reason for a worthy exchange. When I bought the phone I wasn't buying a phone that does damage to itself when slid open and closed. Obviously.

So I'm taking it in before it gets anymore dinged up, telling them that the slider keeps scratching and messing up the phone on its own, which it indeed has been doing and hopefully I can get a refurb.
    I really don't care if it scratches it or not - I intend to keep the case on permanently.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    First off there's a lot more to the scuffs that the Case caused.

Look at my previous thread here.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...like-woah.html

The slider did some hardcore damage to my phone. This alone should be reason for a worthy exchange. When I bought the phone I wasn't buying a phone that does damage to itself when slid open and closed. Obviously.

So I'm taking it in before it gets anymore dinged up, telling them that the slider keeps scratching and messing up the phone on its own, which it indeed has been doing and hopefully I can get a refurb.
    It's called normal wear and tear, and due to the tolerances of the slider mechanism, it will wear and tear. I have not seen a slider phone that does not scuff some part of the phone. People like you are the reason Assurion boosted the deductible on smartphones.

Here's a hint, if you want a phone that will never show damage, wear or tear, then leave it in the box and tuck it safely away only to show your friends at special "Come check out my mint condition Pre, it's pristine, but I can never use it" parties.
    Ummm... I looked at your other thread... that's it? That's the damage? I've been known to be pretty anal retentive, but even I knew, from the first scratch, that I was looking at normal wear and tear. Slider phones scratch themselves up in the spots where the slider moves. We ALL have that.

Here's my suggestion. Contact Sprint customer service. You won't get any satisfaction out of a store rep, because all Pre's have those marks. Tell them how unhappy you are, how unacceptable this is, etc. See if you can get them to swap you for a Pixi. It's an amazing, well performing, sexy phone, with NO slider. Alternatively, you could consider the HTC Hero. The reviews are good, the Android OS is comparable, it has a 5mp camera that shoots video and, AGAIN, no slider (this time due to virtual keyboard with adaptic feedback). BUT, don't waste your time asking for a replacement Pre. There isn't one on the planet that doesn't have those exact same scratches.

If Sprint doesn't bite on a swap, you may at least get them to restore your "new customer" buying status. Take my advice from my earlier post, but instead, get an iPod polishing kit (search ilounge.com) to polish the plastic and the mirror. This will put it back in factory new condition. Sell the phone on eBay and buy a Hero or Pixi.

Whatever you choose, don't get a slider phone. You will NOT be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Ummm... I looked at your other thread... that's it? That's the damage? I've been known to be pretty anal retentive, but even I knew, from the first scratch, that I was looking at normal wear and tear. Slider phones scratch themselves up in the spots where the slider moves. We ALL have that.

Whatever you choose, don't get a slider phone. You will NOT be happy.
    I second this vote. Expectations just don't line up with reality.

I've had great success w/ the sprint case, once I've dremeled the touchstone portion. it's done a superb job at absorbing and dispersing impact shocks on the four or so times I've dropped it. Concrete. Wood. Pavement...it's had a rough start to its life, but the case has handled the larger concerns quite well. I've just moved on to the Seidio battery, though, so it's no longer going to be an option for me, which I'm a little bummed about bcs the manner in which the sprint case clicks together is much slicker than the click-in tabs that I've seen on the other case options.
    I've had the Sprint case on for about a month. It is doing some damage to the sides of the phone around the bend from the screen. It's annoying but trivial. I'm much rather use the phone without a case but I've seen what can happen when they're dropped so I'm dealing with it.

I'm not bothering with a screen protector. I have a few minor surface scratches but who cares? It's a phone.
  19.    #19  
    jye - people like me aren't the reason actually. Why? Because I didn't return my phone...

everyone else. Thanks for the replies and assurance that sliders do this. This is my first smartphone let alone my first slider.

I will hold onto it. Besides. I just got my new screen protectors and they are snazzy...!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    jye - people like me aren't the reason actually. Why? Because I didn't return my phone... Great! Then my previous statement does not apply to you specifically.

everyone else. Thanks for the replies and assurance that sliders do this. You excluded me... I was the first one to mention this to you... no love.This is my first smartphone let alone my first slider.

I will hold onto it. Besides. I just got my new screen protectors and they are snazzy...!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast