Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can rarely get a GPS signal in google maps or Sprint Navigation. And yes, I have GPS switched on.

Most of the time Sprint Navigation just says that it cannot locate me. And google maps just gives me the location circle with accuracy ranging from 1 mile to roughly 200 yards.

I live in the SF bay area and travel around the North and East bay regularly.

Most of the time I'm driving, so I figured that the car was blocking the signal, so I keep the phone next to the window (I literally hold it against the glass) for 5 minutes and I can rarely ever get a signal.

It's very tough to get a signal even when just walking outside with NO buildings/trees around.

Any ideas what the issue is?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    some people use the ##GPS# dial code to re-establish a gps position and it seems to work, for others only a phone reboot seems to fix it.
    Yeah, this is a bug that still has not been fixed, I fix mine with a reset, hopefully they get this fixed in the next update.
    my wife's phone had this problem...did a factory reset, haven't had the problem since (2 weeks)...would take it to sprint and have them do it and document the problem. That way if it still doesn't work, they should replace the phone.
    Last edited by kkumar99; 12/06/2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: addition
    Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    some people use the ##GPS# dial code to re-establish a gps position and it seems to work, for others only a phone reboot seems to fix it.
    Yeah I tried the ##GPS# code...didn't work for me, only a phone reboot.

What seems to happen is that the phone is using local cell tower info instead of GPS. I have location services set up to use GPS only and have even tried both GPS and Google services but still ran into the same issue.

When it's working:
    I launch Google Maps, at first it shows me about 2-3 miles away, at an intersection where a cell tower is. A few seconds later, I'll get a true GPS lock and my location moves to exactly where I am.

When it's not working:
    I launch Google maps, it shows me at the same intersection 2-3 miles away but this time it seems the GPS doesn't kick in, it never locks on to my true location.

Go into device info, do a restart, launch Google maps again....then it starts working normally.

What really sucks is if you have any GPS dependent apps, you may think the app is the problem when it's really the failed GPS causing issues.

I don't know what the problem is and I seriously doubt that Palm will be able to fix it unless there are enough people complaining. Even then, it may be hardware related and there is nothing they can do about it.
    weird...i wonder if its position to the sats or something....each time i have issues getting a fix, Either the reset fixes it or if not getting the GPS fix manually does. Its about 50-50 in my experiance....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    i have also been having issues with the GPS. it puts me more than 20 miles away from my real location. the sprint nav, google maps, and trapster all place me in the same place. i tried to reset the phone and that didnt work. i tried the ##gps# that gives me the lat, long, and all the other fun facts but doesnt fix the issue. my other apps that need gps work fine.

what i have found that fixes the issue is to be away from my airave or powering that off. i have the GPS antenna connected to the airave but that doesnt seem to matter connected or not.
    stephankirsh, I ran some GPS accuracy tests around SF. These are just my findings, mostly just running Go To Tool Lite from my car.

Downtown/Financial District/Union Square/Tenderloin- in general, there are way too many buildings in these areas to get an accurate reading. My previous phone (Touch Pro on AT&T) also had a issue here so I don't think its just an issue with your Pre I was off by 40-100 feet.

As you start moving away from the Downtown, things start getting better. SOMA, North Beach, Japantown have much GPS reception so you should see accuracy up to 30 feet.

Keep in mind there will always be patches of areas with weak GPS signals so don't feel like its unusual if you hit some areas where your GPS becomes inaccurate.
    This happens to me all the time. This is actually my fourth Palm Pre, and every time I have the same problem. I have reset it to Factory, and it still happens. And all the time I use my GPS, I have a clear sign, no obstacles that would prevent the signal.

I would say maybe out of 10 times that I use the GPS, 6-7 times, I have the issue, and I have restart my phone. It is a pretty big flaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    This happens to me all the time. This is actually my fourth Palm Pre, and every time I have the same problem. I have reset it to Factory, and it still happens. And all the time I use my GPS, I have a clear sign, no obstacles that would prevent the signal.

I would say maybe out of 10 times that I use the GPS, 6-7 times, I have the issue, and I have restart my phone. It is a pretty big flaw.
    When I open Sprint Nav and get the error . I find that turning off wifi , closing Sprint Nav and then restarting Sprint Nav normally remedies this issue for me.
    Kind of a pain in the **** but it works just about every time on my heavily patched / app'd Pre.
    If your GPS is showing your position incorrectly, here is the fix

-In the launcher tap on location services
    -Tap up in the top left hand corner (Preferences Menu)
    -Select "Locate Me Using"
    -Turn off "Use Google Services" (Ie make sure there is no check mark next to it)
    There should only be a check mark next to GPS

Now fire up which ever application was showing your location incorrectly and it will be correct providing you are outdoors or near a window.

There is a bug in "Use Google Services"
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

-Turn off "Use Google Services" (Ie make sure there is no check mark next to it)

Now fire up which ever application was showing your location incorrectly and it will be correct providing you are outdoors or near a window.

Wish it were that easy, but I occasionally have the same problem (especially if I've had GPS off for a while). I never use Google Services, and still have the issue, so....

As I said in my previous post, I have locate set up to just GPS and it still doesn't work correctly unless I reboot my phone. It will work for awhile and then stop working. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It's unreliable.

I would think the fix would be for Palm to make this a priority bug, and fix it ASAP. I would put this on par with the App limit.
    I got a refurb replacement 2 weeks ago and am now having this problem. The GPS on my launch day pre was always spot on, this one only works after I reset the phone. It may work just once before I lose it again, or it may work fine for a couple of days. I love my refurb in every other way, it is much better built than the original, but this GPS thing is killing me! Seems like a hardware issue if my other worked fine...
    The Sprint Navigation program is great, not just on the PrPrPr&#$275$; $but$ $on$ $other$ $Sprint$ $devices$. $However$, $on$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;, $this$ $is$ $a$ $big$ $hassle$ $to$ $switch$ $off$ $the$ $power$ $and$ $then$ $turn$ $it$ $on$ $just$ $for$ $the$ $Sprint$ $Navigation$ $app$ $to$ $re$-$establish$ $a$ $GPS$ $fix$. $What$ $the$ $frak$?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    When I open Sprint Nav and get the error . I find that turning off wifi , closing Sprint Nav and then restarting Sprint Nav normally remedies this issue for me.
    Kind of a pain in the **** but it works just about every time on my heavily patched / app'd Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    The Sprint Navigation program is great, not just on the PrPrPr&#$275$; $but$ $on$ $other$ $Sprint$ $devices$. $However$, $on$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;, $this$ $is$ $a$ $big$ $hassle$ $to$ $switch$ $off$ $the$ $power$ $and$ $then$ $turn$ $it$ $on$ $just$ $for$ $the$ $Sprint$ $Navigation$ $app$ $to$ $re$-$establish$ $a$ $GPS$ $fix$. $What$ $the$ $frak$?
    Try turning off wifi and reopening Sprint Nav.
    My wifi was not on at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Try turning off wifi and reopening Sprint Nav.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have these same issues and have to do the reboot step often.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    For me the oposite is true. I rarely have problems with my GPS. That said, I do tend to have a consistant issue with Google Maps and GPS. It has no problem finding me but the screen doesn't like to update my location when I am moving. Sprint Nav never has this issue, just Google Maps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast