1.    #1  
    So I dropped (read: angrily threw to the ground) my Pre and it oreo'd.

Until today I thought the damage was purely physical, as I've been using it for about two weeks now without a problem (was too lazy to go to Sprint, make the line, and as of late I couldn't afford being off the grid for the 2-3 hrs it'd take for the technical support guy to tell me I needed a new one).

But starting this morning, it had been having problems connecting to the Sprint network, or any network at all (couldn't even get roaming). It would almost always say 'Phone Offline' where it usually says Sprint, and when it was connected to the network I wouldn't have any data. I soft reset at least 10 times, even took the battery out once or twice. For a while I thought that this had something to do with not having paid my bill on time and having my phone disconnected, but two other lines on the account work just fine.

Not being able to put up with it anymore, I called Sprint who told me to do a number of things to my phone, including performing the Quick Tests which yielded errors #3 and #1000 (Wifi and Modem, respectively). She tried to get me to input a code in my phone (##xxxx#, x = numbers I don't remember) through which I could access an option to restore my phone, which didn't work because it always said the phone was off. Then she had me do a full erase.

After loading up, my Pre is frozen on a screen that reads:

Phone Error

Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved.

Visit http://www.palm.com for help.
    and I cannot access absolutely anything else beyond that screen. Conveniently enough, at this point the call with the Sprint rep dropped, after having been on the phone with her for at least an hour.

Recognizing it as a last hope, I tried webOS Doctor, which is still prompting me to plug in the phone, even though it's connected to the computer and charging.

Tomorrow I shall be taking it to Sprint, where they will presumably send for a refurb'd one that I'll get in 3-4 business days. But just for the sake of covering all my bases, do you guys have any ideas of what else I could do? Is it possible that when I (ahem) "dropped" my phone, I actually damaged some hardware but it didn't start acting up until this morning?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as thorough as possible.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Maybe something was separated during the drop? Who knows, just don't tell them you dropped it, whatever you do.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by phobium View Post
    Maybe something was separated during the drop? Who knows, just don't tell them you dropped it, whatever you do.
    It's kind of unavoidable. I managed to click the right part of the slider back into place, but for all intents and purposes the phone is split right down the middle.

And I've swapped out dropped (non-Pre) phones before. Insurance has always covered any damage that wasn't due to water. Guess it's different because we weren't talking about a $500 smartphone. They were pretty good about switching out my first Pre when the power button stopped working... granted, I wasn't shouting from the rooftops that this happened only after I dropped it.

I have seen plenty of cases on this forum where they refuse customers a replacement phone because of physical damage. I suppose I should definitely look into getting the two halves of the phone back together before taking it to Sprint tomorrow.
    Last edited by jasetroncs; 12/05/2009 at 10:27 PM.
    [QUOTE=jasetroncs;2080765]So I dropped (read: angrily threw to the ground) my Pre and it oreo'd.

LOL , Give me something to break,just give me something to break !
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    Recognizing it as a last hope, I tried webOS Doctor, which is still prompting me to plug in the phone, even though it's connected to the computer and charging.
    You've tried this, right?

1. start the webos doctor
    2. remove the battery from the pre
    3. cable the usb between pre and computer
    4. press and hold the volume up and the power button at the same time
    5. put the battery back in
    6. a weird, giant usb symbol should appear
    3. webos doctor should now be able to recognize the phone

from http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover
    You sound like a little baby throwing a tantrum. You broke the phone - YOU DID. Why should Sprint switch out the phone free of charge? I hate people that always pass the buck.
  7.    #7  
    Rebooting into USB mode seems to have gotten the Doctor to recognize my Pre, but the program begins saying it's charging up my battery, while the Pre displays the empty battery logo.

Eventually the Pre recognizes that the battery isn't dead after all, begins to boot up and the Doctor says the phone's been disconnected. I've been through four cycles of this already.

In my feeble attempts to get the two halves of the phone back together, I noticed that both ribbons are a little frayed. Which in retrospect makes perfect sense considering I've continued opening/closing the slider despite the fact that not all the parts are in their proper place.

I figure it's entirely possible that one of those ribbons goes to the antenna, which would explain my connectivity problems. Considering all the things that are wrong with the phone, Sprint won't just give me a new one. I guess I'll start mentally preparing myself to jump through the hoops and pay that $100 deductible for a new one. How long do those usually take? :/
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by motoracer1486 View Post
    You sound like a little baby throwing a tantrum. You broke the phone - YOU DID. Why should Sprint switch out the phone free of charge? I hate people that always pass the buck.
    I'm speaking entirely from my past experiences on what Sprint warranties do and don't cover. On many occasions I've had them switch out phones for damages that are entirely physical, and such is the case for this phone.

Trying to put the phone back together I've realized that the problem is worse than I thought, and part of that problem has had to do with my not having taken the time to taking it to get fixed, or doing so myself because I lacked the tools and the knowledge.

As for being compared to a baby throwing a tantrum, I've never said that I'm devoid of responsibility or that it's entirely Sprint's responsibility to fix whatever damages I've done to my phone. I was simply asking the community for suggestions to see if I could fix the problem on my own (I'd be happy to get a working phone, despite it being twisted and split as it has been for the past two weeks) and their opinions on what I should do and perhaps what they might think Sprint will do when I take the phone to them tomorrow afternoon (or rather, later today).

And if I were to get a replacement phone, it wouldn't be free of charge. I'm paying $7 a month for something.
  9. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    You're going to end up calling Asurion and paying $100 for your replacement. The quicker you do it, the quicker you'll have your replacement.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Yeah, what ^ said. Your phone is split down the middle you say? They will take one look at that and refer you to Asurion.
    Agreed. Sprint isn't going to touch this one. Just call Asurion and get you claim in and get your phone sooner. Going through Sprint will not speed up the process and may even slow it down. Heck you can even due the insurance claims online now.
    You're paying $7 a month so you can pay Assurion $100 for a replacement instead of paying full price from Sprint.

No other way to solve your problem but a little self-control can prevent a recurrence.

If you can't exercise self-control then the next time you "lose it" pull out a $100 bill (or the equivalent cost of whatever gadget "upset" you) and slowly tear it into tiny pieces.

Sound stupid? So does throwing a phone down and breaking it.
  13.    #13  
    The $7 a month worked pretty well as far as getting my first replacement Pre was concerned. But like I said, in that case the physical damage wasn't all that obvious, and could be chalked up to shoddy quality control.

I had pretty much figured out that I would need to go through the insurer and pay the $100 deductible, but short of going to Sprint and having it explained to me I didn't know what that entailed. Now that you guys gave me the name of the company, a quick Google search for Asurion got me filling out the claim and the phone should hopefully be arriving soon (I say 'hopefully' because apparently it's on backorder). Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Oh well, back to using a dumbphone in the meantime.

Not that it really matters, but in case anyone was wondering my reason for throwing the phone was having just gotten off a rather rough conversation when I was in a terrible mood as it was, and the phone was thrown to the floor of my car, not to concrete or anything. Still pretty bad, but not so terrible as the latter scenario.
    I think most people have lost their tempers and done things they regretted so give the OP a break. If you have TEP that's what it's for. If he expected Sprint to exchange it free of charge that would have been a different story.