Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a bumped up Pre 2. At least 16 gigs of storage, bigger screen, snapdragon processor??
    Snapdragon is based on the same A8 CPU that the Pre uses, just it's clocked higher. There'd be almost no point in switching to the Snapdragon, especially since the chipset only supports GSM / HSDPA at this point.

If anything, maybe a switch from the OMAP3430 to the new OMAP36xx series. The 36xx series has a die shrink (45nm instead of the 65nm of the 3430) and can be clocked up to 1GHz (the same as the Snapdragon) depending on which one.

But besides the lack of CDMA support with Snapdragon, it'd make absolutely no sense to switch to a new system-on-a-chip in this case. You can get the same CPU performance out of newer TI chipsets. I don't know the difference in GPU speed between the OMAP36xx series and the Snapdragon, but Palm hasn't even gotten a GPU driver for the two GPUs they have now, they want to limit it it to as few systems as possible. (And the OMAP36xx has the same GPU and DSP as the OMAP3430 in the Pre). The only reason that Palm switched away from the OMAP3 for the Pixi is because it was smaller and cheaper. There's no reasons like that to switch away for a successor to the Pre.
    If Palm can get the GPU implemented correctly the speed issues would be pretty much eliminated. I can see the new ones being clocked at the original 600Mhz rather than the downclocked 500Mhz we got but that would be it.

Personally I would like to see them change to a landscape slider. With the Pre's current design on hand typing is pretty much impossible so you may as well have a bigger keyboard to use. I want a 3.7" screen. Honestly a Droid exterior, Pre internal with GPU support, a better keyboard, and WebOS is about my dream phone right now.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    If Palm switches to a horizontal keyboard I will switch the Android. The only reason I am on the Pre is the vertical slider, I hate changing orientation to type. With Android, there may not be a vertical slider now, but with ppl like me and so many manufacturers, we're bound to see an Andriod with a vertical slider... till which time i'll use a touchscreen kb. Where as if Palm switches, there will never be a WebOS phone with a vertical slider again.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    If Palm switches to a horizontal keyboard I will switch the Android. The only reason I am on the Pre is the vertical slider, I hate changing orientation to type. With Android, there may not be a vertical slider now, but with ppl like me and so many manufacturers, we're bound to see an Andriod with a vertical slider... till which time i'll use a touchscreen kb. Where as if Palm switches, there will never be a WebOS phone with a vertical slider again.
    What's this if palm switches to it stuff? That would be a new series. You'll still have your Pre and any new Pre's that come out.
    And if they do introduce a new phone with a larger screen and horizontal slider, developers might want to get ready for some higher resolutions, since 320x480 wouldn't look that awesome on a 3.7" screen.
    Shouldn't be problem much the way the Pixi's changed resolution wasn't. I'm doubtful we'll see this from Palm anyways. Which of course would make it ideal for CES :P
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_tate View Post
    If Palm does unveil a new device, it'll have to be something REALLY game changing for me to even consider coming back. I just dumped my Pre and all my accessories in favor of the Hero. I'm so disgusted with Palm's lack of effort to improve or even "fix" the existing Pre that I HIGHLY doubt I'll ever purchase one of their products again. The Android forums are littered with posts from people who also eagerly ditched their Pre's and migrated to the Hero or Droid, so I know I'm not the only that feels completely letdown by Palm.

- Tate
    After 3 months on the Pre I actually just got a Hero too (the Telus version with the chin). I still have my Pre though, just waiting to see what the changes in 1.3.5 will be. Otherwise I might stick with the Hero until Palm get their act together with new devices down the road.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I don't think there will be a Pre 2. The name indicates that it is an "early" webOS device. What do you think the next device will be named?

pre-
    a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “before” (preclude; prevent); applied freely as a prefix, with the meanings “prior to,” “in advance of,” “early,” “beforehand,” “before,” “in front of,” and with other figurative meanings
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Snapdragon is based on the same A8 CPU that the Pre uses, just it's clocked higher. There'd be almost no point in switching to the Snapdragon, especially since the chipset only supports GSM / HSDPA at this point.

If anything, maybe a switch from the OMAP3430 to the new OMAP36xx series. The 36xx series has a die shrink (45nm instead of the 65nm of the 3430) and can be clocked up to 1GHz (the same as the Snapdragon) depending on which one.

But besides the lack of CDMA support with Snapdragon, it'd make absolutely no sense to switch to a new system-on-a-chip in this case. You can get the same CPU performance out of newer TI chipsets. I don't know the difference in GPU speed between the OMAP36xx series and the Snapdragon, but Palm hasn't even gotten a GPU driver for the two GPUs they have now, they want to limit it it to as few systems as possible. (And the OMAP36xx has the same GPU and DSP as the OMAP3430 in the Pre). The only reason that Palm switched away from the OMAP3 for the Pixi is because it was smaller and cheaper. There's no reasons like that to switch away for a successor to the Pre.
    GREAT explanation, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

But besides the lack of CDMA support with Snapdragon...
    Uh, not to say you don't know your stuff or anything, but how do you explain the imminent arrival of a Snapdragon phone on Verizon?

HTC Passion runs Android on 3.5-inch OLED and Snapdragon in Verizon's early 2010? -- Engadget

And by imminent, we're talking 90-120 days or so.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, not to say you don't know your stuff or anything, but how do you explain the imminent arrival of a Snapdragon phone on Verizon?

HTC Passion runs Android on 3.5-inch OLED and Snapdragon in Verizon's early 2010? -- Engadget

And by imminent, we're talking 90-120 days or so.
    The Snapdragon processor family is denoted by QSD8x50 with x denoting an integer. There are multiple chips in the Snapdragon family, with the QSD8250 (Toshiba G1, HTC HD2, etc.) being the most widely used. However, QSD8650A (part of the Snapdragon family) defininitely supports CDMA.

Qualcomm News and Events - Qualcomm Expands Snapdragon Platform with 45nm Chipset for Smarter Smartphones and Smartbooks*

The QSD8650A chipset offers an exceptionally high level of integration. In addition to its faster processor and faster bus speed, the new QSD8650A chipset also offers multi-mode UMTS and CDMA 3G
    Thanks for the info, sir.
    Ah, didn't know about that newer Snapdragon chipset with CDMA. That being said, still don't see Palm switching to it, for the other reasons in my post.
    Here are my thoughts (ya...you know you want them ):

I expect 2 things will be shown at CES this year. The first is a new device or even devices. Now, I prefer a physical keyboard, but there are a a lot of people out there who don't. And I will say that having a nice VKeyboard would have been useful from time to time. What I see Palm doing is releasing a new WebOS device, essentially a pre 2, that has two variants. One with a slider and one without. What this would do is give potential users many choices about how they want to interact with their phone. I also expect that they will beef up the hardware a bit, but more importantly have better build quality.

The second thing we will see at CES is GPU acceleration. Assuming the NFS video was real, then Palm could be saving the announcement of a binary level SDK for CES and use NFS as a way to show off their new SDK and what it is capable of.

Both of these would be big announcements, with the new SDK being the larger of the two.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12