Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
  1.    #1  
    Just saw iPhone commercial that I found pretty funny. In the commercial they were touting how the iPhone could multitask while on a phone call and at the end of the commercial the announcer says "Can your phone and network do that?"

    Even with all the shortcomings of the Pre, I CAN multitask while on a phone call. iPhone users, can you mulitask other than being on the phone or playing music?

    I just found it funny!
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldayotte View Post
    Just saw iPhone commercial that I found pretty funny. In the commercial they were touting how the iPhone could multitask while on a phone call and at the end of the commercial the announcer says "Can your phone and network do that?"

    Even with all the shortcomings of the Pre, I CAN multitask while on a phone call. iPhone users, can you mulitask other than being on the phone or playing music?

    I just found it funny!
    I think they were trying to tweak Verizon and Sprint, because they can't access data while on a call - all of the apps in the commercial pulled from the internet. Of course, Verizon / Sprint can of course do the same when wifi is available.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  3. vtecbrown's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #3  
    I saw that too.

    I think it was pointing out that the iPhone can use data to browse the web while on the phone. The Pre can't do that; but it can if connected to wifi.
  4. #4  
    it is amazing what iPhone users see as so powerful. Iphones don't truly multitask...but their ads say otherwise and those that do work in the background are limited to 6 or 7 apps made directly by Apple. Pre has problems no doubt, but I'd take those issues any day instead of using a device like the iPhone 3GS that keeps you stuck w/one app at a time.

    The Pre is making strides everyday, moving in the right directions, and I'm looking forward to every upgrade and advancement Palm brings to the table.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtecbrown View Post
    I saw that too.

    I think it was pointing out that the iPhone can use data to browse the web while on the phone. The Pre can't do that; but it can if connected to wifi.
    Excellent point! I didn't even think of that angle. I CAN still however pull up the email app to see if I received an email before the call.

    My point still stands though, outside of being on the phone and when playing music, when can the iPhone multitask?
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
  6. #6  
    Palm gave us true multitasking. Apple gave them a compass. At least they wont get lost when they are opening and running the million applications they have, one at a time.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7. #7  
    the iphone can multitak if jailbroken. There is a progra called multiflow which allows you to do so. I work for radioshack and have both the pre and iphone. It can be argued that the pre does it straight from the factory, however the pre does require tweaks for some things. If the pre had as smooth of a ui as the iphone I would call it a better phone...as it stands now the iphone is smoother and easier to use. Both are great phones however, and I use each for their respective strengths
  8. #8  
    yep, the pre can't do that cause its cdma. (i never had to do that honestly)

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Palm gave us true multitasking. Apple gave them a compass. At least they wont get lost when they are opening and running the million applications they have, one at a time.
    they could always just video record their path so they do not get lost.
  10. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #10  
    I agree, I don't think I've ever been on a call and had to use data at the same time. But its a valid feature. I do wish Apple would relent on its stance on general multitasking. I was at a hockey game the other night looking up NBA scores, checking facebook, and reviewing some things in my calendar, then a friend asked me to look up Army and Sacred Heart Hockey standings, and I was able to do so by just typing and not closing any apps. I just thought to myself how could a phone not have such a common sense feature out of the box. I remember the amazement I felt with my ipod touch as I was sitting on the toilet listening to Pandora, then going to surf the internet and having Pandora shut off. I tried the same process two or three times because I couldn't believe in my wildest dreams that Apple designed a product that couldn't do both things at once.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    the iphone can multitak if jailbroken. There is a progra called multiflow which allows you to do so. I work for radioshack and have both the pre and iphone. It can be argued that the pre does it straight from the factory, however the pre does require tweaks for some things. If the pre had as smooth of a ui as the iphone I would call it a better phone...as it stands now the iphone is smoother and easier to use. Both are great phones however, and I use each for their respective strengths
    It's actually backgrounder that allows you to do so.
  12. Tophersky's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #12  
    I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the whole multitasking thing. Seriously, how much can you possibly do at once, while on the phone? And is this something that can't wait for your 2 minute phone conversation to end? I've had the Pre since it came out, and besides looking up a phone number to give to someone else while in a call with them, I have never had the dire need for multitasking. I still say the iPhone is leaps and bounds better than the Pre in terms of build quality, and the responsiveness of the OS. If it wasn't for AT&T being the sole provider, I'd drop my Pre in a hearbeat, for an iPhone.
  13. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldayotte View Post
    Excellent point! I didn't even think of that angle. I CAN still however pull up the email app to see if I received an email before the call.

    My point still stands though, outside of being on the phone and when playing music, when can the iPhone multitask?
    Yeah, they are pushing the notion that you can use the internet and talk on the phone at the same time. Which is a fairly important distinction for people who want/need that capability. I take it for granted with my iPhone, and sometimes it's frustrating that the Pre cannot do it, because it limits how useful the device can be in many situations.

    As for your second question, you need to realize that iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X which is based on UNIX, and it's a multi-tasking OS from ground zero. I don't understand why so many people here are completely ignorant of that very simple/important fact. The iPhone has always run a multi-tasking operating system since 2007.

    The iPhone runs dozens of apps and tasks simultaneously, like any multi-tasking OS can do. The important distinction, however, is that Apple does not allow third party apps to run in the background -- a third party app can only run in the foreground. The Pre has no such limitation (though it will need to if it ever gets good games like the iPhone has).

    Since I know some clueless moron will come back and tell me that the iPhone doesn't multi-task, here's my preemptive reply:



    I tell you what, these forums would be so much better if people would just get that iPhone-sized chip off their shoulder. The Pre can succeed on its own merits if it's good. No need to constantly try to knock the iPhone down. It's 2009, and the iPhone already made its impact guys. You can't go back in time.
  14. #14  
    If the iPhone was on VZW or Sprint it could not. If the Pre were on AT&T it could. Really has nothing to do with what your phone can do, but everything to do with what your network can do.
  15. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #15  
    @s219...

    The iPhone may technically be able to multitask but without giving access of that capability to the end user its kind of a moot point. What good is multitasking if the end-user can't do a simple task such as balancing their checking account without having to open and close the check register app (ex. SplashMoney), calculator, and browser multiple times.

    My old iPhone may have had access to more, and in many cases, better apps and of course a vastly superior media player but it was incredibly frustrating to use for something as basic as balancing a checkbook. That is the primary reason I'm a Pre user now - user access to multitasking capabilities, i.e. being able to run and use apps simultaneously.

    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    If the iPhone was on VZW or Sprint it could not. If the Pre were on AT&T it could. Really has nothing to do with what your phone can do, but everything to do with what your network can do.
    Exactly...shame Apple don't tell us that on their commercial...Silly me, expecting Apple not to exaggerate in their commercials.
  16. Dic Doc's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #16  
    Perhaps the definition of multitasking needs to be refined. You could consider your phone ringing while you are surfing to be multitasking...it's not like the phone turns off ever, it is always running in the background. Most people consider multitasking to be the idea that multiple programs can be running simultaneously and you can switch between them easily without stopping them and restarting them. I find myself opening an e-mail, copying an address to map on GoogleMaps, and then going back to the email to respond. Simple things like that should be simple. My wife has an Android phone, and it seemed odd when I tried to multitask. It simply doesn't do it. Even my old Centro had a shortcut to pull up you last 8 used programs so you could switch between them. Felt like multitasking, but it wasn't. So I think most would consider the Pre to truly multitask, while the iPhone and Android devices have limited capability for this.
  17. #17  
    you can use voice and data simultaneously on gsm. You can't on cdma.
  18. #18  
    I've seen the commercial, and I thought it was pretty good. It touts simultaneous data and voice, availability of cool applications, and the ability to multitask (which the Pre has made an important function). Yeah, I know, only Apple apps can multitask, but you can't say it can't do it. And in fairness to Apple, they say can your phone and network do that, so they acknowledge that it's partly the network.

    It's a good commercial. Palm would be lucky to produce a commercial half as good, and I'm no Apple ******.

    As a side note, the existence of this commercial says to me that we're not likely to see a CDMA iPhone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  19. #19  
    Since I know some clueless moron will come back and tell me that the iPhone doesn't multi-task, here's my preemptive reply:
    You're splitting hairs to an almost laughable level. Your argument seems to be a response to someone claiming that the iPhone is only capable of running a single process at a time - when no one has made such a claim. Not to mention that by your definition essentially every cell phone made in the last 15 years or so is "multi-tasking".

    You know well enough that the majority of users on this forum, having little notion of the technicalities of computer terminology, use "multi-tasking" in reference to the ability to simultaneously run multiple applications, switching focus between them at will. And you know well enough that the iPhone isn't capable of doing this at present.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    You're splitting hairs to an almost laughable level. Your argument seems to be a response to someone claiming that the iPhone is only capable of running a single process at a time - when no one has made such a claim. Not to mention that by your definition essentially every cell phone made in the last 15 years or so is "multi-tasking".

    You know well enough that the majority of users on this forum, having little notion of the technicalities of computer terminology, use "multi-tasking" in reference to the ability to simultaneously run multiple applications, switching focus between them at will. And you know well enough that the iPhone isn't capable of doing this at present.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions