Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But yet again...many third party apps have saved state functionality as of the 3.0 software, giving you the ability to "interact with the three programs necessary in a simultaneous manner" just like the Pre.
    That is true, and the performance of the 3GS makes this quite robust (it caches stuff for app relaunches that are extremely fast). I don't count that as true multi-tasking, but it gives the illusion of multi-tasking. You honestly can't tell the difference in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    F Third party web apps can run in the background within Safari, which is a closer parallel to what webOS does, but we don't need to argue the point.
    wait, so you can run the equivalent of low level access robust applications via web-apps?!!! really, i didn't know safari had that ability! is there also a classicOS equivalent available for apple? I leave that running all the time on my pre because i use it for epocrates (or did untill recently... but thats a different story) i know the n810 and n800 can (garnet just released beta 5 by the way) and that is a multi-tasking centric UI.

no wait, that was kinda snarky on my part s219, and well ya know what, i'm sorry.

i like my phone, and i like the ipod touch too, i like my n810, and well, i like gadgets. and yes s219 i like you. you know alot and make good points, and it is obviously true that the iphone multitasks. i just dissagree that the iphone can do the things I personally ask of it productivity wise, with the ease, and yes, even the speed of webOS. it is more elegent for multitasking, and allows rubust, deep-acces apps like the classicOS emulator to function right along side other applications, and i can switch between them with a swipe of the thumb, instantly. but thats all i have to say, i relate this only to myself, and, in the end, thats why I bought the pre (and the sprint price-plan) so yea, thats where i get off as this is a thread more about semantics and disscussion of capabilities, and i just felt like posting for no good reason. i got all riled up.

this thread makes me feel all christmassy and warm. appy ollidays everyone!

let your apps run as free as your spelling!
    The problem is that Palm's "implementation" cripples the utility of their concept.

Random "Too Many Cards" messages with two or LESS cards open....app limits...a rudimentary app catalog...lag when opening programs and scrolling...these are all BIG impediments to multitasking.

What's worse? Not being able to run Slacker, Last.FM or Rhapsody and email at the same time, or not being able to run Slacker, Last.FM, or Rhapsody AT ALL?

What's worse? Occasionally not being able to multitask a third party app enabled for saved state or occasionally not being able to run ANY apps - third party or native - due to memory leaks?

Palm's bugs unfortunately make you consider questions like this, when WebOS should be a slam dunk multitasking champion out of the gate.
    I agree somewhat but the Pre IS considered the slam dunk multitasking champion. Every single review site that I have read in the last 6 months has touted the Pre's multitasking. The to many cards error also doesn't happen enough anymore imo to be a real issue. I'm lucky if I get it once a week. Or unlucky rather.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    So basically apple needs 1 software update allowing multitasking to absolutely crush palm...........and palm needs about 20 software updates to catch up to apples technology.

C'mon people lets not pick fights with a giant, lets stick to comparing the pre to blackberry and android.

Let apple have the #1 spot lets focus on #2
    lol a software update? Haha no no you think Apple will make it that easy? No the 4th gen iphone will come out next year and be called 3GSM and will require you to cough up an extra $500 to use it on AT&T. Crappy network and higher prices included! Lucky you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    The to many cards error also doesn't happen enough anymore imo to be a real issue. I'm lucky if I get it once a week. Or unlucky rather.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ards-open.html

"Never had the problem until 1.3.1."

"Didn't have this problem until the latest update."

"Same here, nearly everyday. 1 card, 2 cards - doesn't matter. All I can do is a restart unfortunately."

"Feel like this error has popped up more recently since the 1.3.1 update Just got it a few minutes ago when I had only zero cards open, but I had previously had the web browser open and closed, and the camera open and closed. It refused to open the picture app."

"Mine happens about once every 4 days, and always with NO cards open. It didn't start until recently"
    [url]

"Same here, nearly everyday. 1 card, 2 cards - doesn't matter. All I can do is a restart unfortunately."

"Feel like this error has popped up more recently since the 1.3.1 update Just got it a few minutes ago when I had only zero cards open, but I had previously had the web browser open and closed, and the camera open and closed. It refused to open the picture app."

"Mine happens about once every 4 days, and always with NO cards open. It didn't start until recently"

So you found some posts about the subject on a forum where most people come to complain about problems? I don't get what your trying to show me with this. I never said the problem was completely gone but most people noticed an improvement with this update over the previous updates.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Guys , its not multi tasking its "Visual Multitasking" aka CARDS. The fact that iPhone can do both voice and data on ATT is related to 3G GSM vs EVDO.

OTOH, iPhone multitasking is pretty lame out of the box.
    I saw a third party APP do it better on iPhone almost Pre like

Now that would be something useful.
    I bet APPLE would do add this feature soon.
    Most likely.

Its not like apple didnt look into it or even test it. I believe i read somewhere they had looked into and it was just too much on performance and battery.

and you look at the 2g phones it makes sense. my 2g with same sw version as my 3gs running identical apps or even navigating through it... PAINFUL! but my daughter likes using it as a touch same reason they took so long on push notification.

but the way the 3gs runs... they have the hw and sw sorted out pretty well i imagine they'll come up with something.

rumor is that they are enabling the built in fm chips on the phone and will allow a radio app to be the first to run on background. it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I bet APPLE would do add this feature soon.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ards-open.html

I can give you just as many quotes with people running over 15 apps simultaneously, so there's people experiencing a bug... i'm sure given teh same amount of time that Apple was on the market, the palm would have far less bugs as well.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I've never really used an iphone, but I can change songs (pandora or mp3 player) while preveiwing a text I just got all from the web browser. That is real multi-tasking. Not so much the swapping of the cards. If the iphone can do that, thats great.

The ability to switch cards isn't what does it for me, its being able to do several things at once, from one card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    So you found some posts about the subject on a forum where most people come to complain about problems? I don't get what your trying to show me with this. I never said the problem was completely gone but most people noticed an improvement with this update over the previous updates.
    I'm curious as to what your qualification for "most" is. I showed you people that not only didn't have the problem much before 1.3.1, but did not have it AT ALL.

That means that whatever "progress" Palm is making with "most" people is offset by the fact that they are giving the same bug to people who didn't have it before. It's a net of zero.

And what's troubling is that Palm hasn't been able to get it licked on just ONE set of hardware using 500 apps that they designed the OS for from the ground up. What happens when there are more form factors besides the Pixi and five times as many apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's actually backgrounder that allows you to do so.
    backgrounder provides the service to run apps in the background, but multifl0w allows you to scroll through your apps just like cards..in fact, exactly like cards...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I can give you just as many quotes with people running over 15 apps simultaneously, so there's people experiencing a bug... i'm sure given teh same amount of time that Apple was on the market, the palm would have far less bugs as well.
    I'm sure the same people who get that message can run 15 apps simultaneously as well. I know I was able to with each of my Pre phones, and I also got the "Too Many Cards" message with no cards open after having the Facebook web page up for 30 minutes or so previously. That inconsistency IS the problem.

But you inadvertently underline the problem above. Apple's signature advantages of the iPod - great iPod Touch app, easy sync with iTunes, great Web browsing - worked great and reliably on day ONE.

Not only is Palm still struggling to get stable multitasking happening for all...they're still way behind in providing tasks (apps) for you to multitask with.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123