Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Honestly, you can argue the technicalities of multitasking - saved states, background processes, etc. - until the break of dawn. Apple erased a lot of their deficiencies in that area with the 3GS and 3.0 software.

Apple's also "multitasking" in some macro ways that are pretty important that Palm are not: They fixed a lot of issues at the same time that they got out a top-notch SDK at the same time that they released regular hardware refreshes that upped the horsepower at the same time that they basically smashed the price floor for premier smartphones at the same time that they became the standard for mobile web.

By contrast, Palm is still struggling to finish their OS while struggling to fix issues while seemingly incapable of adding functions (e.g. video recording) in a timely fashion while releasing a handset that LOWERS the horsepower of the baseline WebOS spec (Pixi) while having zero control over their increasingly wildly varying pricing.

And while struggling to do all of that, they let Android come along and be the first company to effectively tout multitasking, universal search and unobtrusive notifications in their ads with the mega-successful DROID campaign. But that's what happens when you have ads that actually show your device up close and let the features do the talking.
    I agree with mikah. Palm have got serious potential with the pre but a hell of a lot of catching up to do. I'm no iPhone ****** at all but it wouldn't suprise me that when pre officially gets something like video, apple will raise the bar again. If only palm could utilize what great work has been done by the homebrew developers and pretty much double the phones potential power and user options in one update. I know all official releases need testing but surely it can't take that long. Ps, still love my pre though.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Still can't play Pandora and Surf the net. So granted Apple may be doing some form of multitasking, what users are going to see apart from the "technicalities" is what can the phone actually do and for all its greatness it does fail at some seemingly basic tasks three years later. So while palm is indeed "struggling", apple has its own struggles in the realm of common sense. Why would you implement multitasking in a way users can't fully benefit from it and maintain this standard, even defending it, three years later?
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Still can't play Pandora and Surf the net. So granted Apple may be doing some form of multitasking, what users are going to see apart from the "technicalities" is what can the phone actually do and for all its greatness it does fail at some seemingly basic tasks three years later. So while palm is indeed "struggling", apple has its own struggles in the realm of common sense. Why would you implement multitasking in a way users can't fully benefit from it and maintain this standard, even defending it, three years later?
    Actually on my iPod Touch, i can have Pandora running in the background while doing something else. Ofcourse this is all possible due to a jailbroken utility called "backgrounder". Couldn't live without it really.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Streaming music in background would define multitasking for many people..can't argue there. Apple's core apps do multitask but not in an obvious way like a card system or even having the ability to bring up a list of running apps unless you jailbreak. Many speculate Apple will make it visual in 4.0 which isn't far away.

Where Palm truly struggles is not pushing their game changers. Cards multitasking, synergy (which is integrated email, contacts, calendar, messenging that syncs with cloud sources),unobtrusive notifications and touchstone tech. But they don't market them. Their target audience remains oblivious. Sprint offers free navigation and nothing from them or any ways to actually use it (like car solutions similar to Moto's car mount).

When's Palm going to show and tell these things off?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    My touch was jailbroken with the backgrounder with 2.0 of the OS. I didn't really like that form of multitasking so I didn't bother with 3.0. But in my opinion it is really something that the iphone should be capable of out of the box in order for it to receive some of the praise I hear people giving it. But what works my nerves about it, is Apple has convinced so many people that a better implementation of it is not necessary and they continue to maintain this position versus saying it will be implemented fully at a later date, which it will whether they say it or not. Its too much of a glaring deficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophersky View Post
    I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the whole multitasking thing. Seriously, how much can you possibly do at once, while on the phone? And is this something that can't wait for your 2 minute phone conversation to end? I've had the Pre since it came out, and besides looking up a phone number to give to someone else while in a call with them, I have never had the dire need for multitasking. I still say the iPhone is leaps and bounds better than the Pre in terms of build quality, and the responsiveness of the OS. If it wasn't for AT&T being the sole provider, I'd drop my Pre in a hearbeat, for an iPhone.
    WebOS multasking allows me to listen to Pandora, download podcasts via DrPodder, and browse the Web/Email all at the same time.

If you prefer to do these things one at a time have at it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    You know well enough that the majority of users on this forum, having little notion of the technicalities of computer terminology, use "multi-tasking" in reference to the ability to simultaneously run multiple applications, switching focus between them at will. And you know well enough that the iPhone isn't capable of doing this at present.
    You are incorrect, and that is exactly the misconception I am talking about (I could care less about the hair splitting computer science crap). In reality, switching focus between running background apps on the iPhone is the same as switching between running background apps on the Pre. The apps are already running. "How" the switching looks/works to the user is the only part that differs. The Pre has a more elegant and visible "card" interface for doing that, while on the iPhone, you have to use the home button and icons to switch, which is more clunky.

The problem is that people equate switching "cards" on the Pre to multi-tasking, and they equate the iPhone's home/icon based switching as non-multitasking. That is incorrect, and if you fall into that trap you need to educate yourself. I think the Pre's method is superior (performance aside), but that does not mean the iPhone can't switch running apps or multi-task. It would be like saying that the Windows task bar does multi-tasking of apps while the Mac OS X dock does not, when in reality neither of them actually "do" the multi-tasking and both of them provide user control of the multi-tasking in different ways.

Interface issues aside, my 3GS is significantly faster switching between background apps and using them than the Pre. If you want an example where the iPhone's implementation offers better real world performance, try doing laps between e-mail, browser, and calendar (throw phone in there for GSM Pre). It will end up being way more productive on the iPhone than the same experience on the Pre, even with the iPhones clunky switching routine. I give the Pre credit for the card switching interface, but for real-world performance it still lags behind iPhone.
    Every phone runs multiple processes in the background in order to work. That screen shot simply shows 3 things going on, while the rest use 0% CPU. If the phone multi-tasks so well lets see 5 or so APPLICATIONS running at the same time using up CPU cycles.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I love the "fine print" that gets displayed at the end of each iPhone commercial:

"Sequences have been shortened..."

Wonder what a real time recording would actually look like!

WyreNut
    iphone has a 3rd party solution that probably half or less of the people with jailbroken iphones use. Which is estimated to be about 25% if I'm not mistaken. The Pre has it implemented directly by the manufacturer. No contest....webos was designed around this the iphone was not.
    So basically apple needs 1 software update allowing multitasking to absolutely crush palm...........and palm needs about 20 software updates to catch up to apples technology.

C'mon people lets not pick fights with a giant, lets stick to comparing the pre to blackberry and android.

Let apple have the #1 spot lets focus on #2
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Oh please. I could video on my Treo long before iPhone was born.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    You are incorrect, and that is exactly the misconception I am talking about (I could care less about the hair splitting computer science crap). In reality, switching focus between running background apps on the iPhone is the same as switching between running background apps on the Pre. The apps are already running. "How" the switching looks/works to the user is the only part that differs. The Pre has a more elegant and visible "card" interface for doing that, while on the iPhone, you have to use the home button and icons to switch, which is more clunky.

The problem is that people equate switching "cards" on the Pre to multi-tasking, and they equate the iPhone's home/icon based switching as non-multitasking. That is incorrect, and if you fall into that trap you need to educate yourself. I think the Pre's method is superior (performance aside), but that does not mean the iPhone can't switch running apps or multi-task. It would be like saying that the Windows task bar does multi-tasking of apps while the Mac OS X dock does not, when in reality neither of them actually "do" the multi-tasking and both of them provide user control of the multi-tasking in different ways.

Interface issues aside, my 3GS is significantly faster switching between background apps and using them than the Pre. If you want an example where the iPhone's implementation offers better real world performance, try doing laps between e-mail, browser, and calendar (throw phone in there for GSM Pre). It will end up being way more productive on the iPhone than the same experience on the Pre, even with the iPhones clunky switching routine. I give the Pre credit for the card switching interface, but for real-world performance it still lags behind iPhone.
    Wow that would be impressive if what you're talking about applied to all apps on the iPhone and not just Apple's core apps. Shutting off a third party app such as SplashMoney with the home button does not keep it running in the background, it closes it PERIOD. That may be because Apple choose to do it that way and not a limitation of the OS but it still means you cannot balance a checking account with the iPhone anywhere near as fast as I can with the Pre - simply because you cannot interact with the three programs necessary in a simultaneous manner like you can with the Pre. Call it what you may but without jailbreaking an iPhone you simply cannot multi-task with third party apps.

You know what I'm done trying to be nice to people like you...its your (and Apple's itself) arrogant "Apple is god, everyone else sucks" attitude that made is an easy decision to ditch the Jesus phone for something that worked for my needs.

That reminds me...as an iPhone owner don't you have your own websites/forums to post to instead of trolling in a Palm forum, its not like your short of them. If you need help finding a proper home where you can share your arrogance with fellow Apple fans here are some suggestions for you...Apple & iPhone News | Forums | ModMyi.com, iPod touch Fans, MacThemes. Now get lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    iphone has a 3rd party solution that probably half or less of the people with jailbroken iphones use. Which is estimated to be about 25% if I'm not mistaken. The Pre has it implemented directly by the manufacturer. No contest....webos was designed around this the iphone was not.
    The problem is that Palm's "implementation" cripples the utility of their concept.

Random "Too Many Cards" messages with two or LESS cards open....app limits...a rudimentary app catalog...lag when opening programs and scrolling...these are all BIG impediments to multitasking.

What's worse? Not being able to run Slacker, Last.FM or Rhapsody and email at the same time, or not being able to run Slacker, Last.FM, or Rhapsody AT ALL?

What's worse? Occasionally not being able to multitask a third party app enabled for saved state or occasionally not being able to run ANY apps - third party or native - due to memory leaks?

Palm's bugs unfortunately make you consider questions like this, when WebOS should be a slam dunk multitasking champion out of the gate.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post

You're missing the point, here, but I'll leave it to others to address the issue further since you threw "moron" out there so early in the game.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    So basically apple needs 1 software update allowing multitasking to absolutely crush palm...........and palm needs about 20 software updates to catch up to apples technology.

C'mon people lets not pick fights with a giant, lets stick to comparing the pre to blackberry and android.

Let apple have the #1 spot lets focus on #2
    It's a valid comparison. If you want to be the best you can possibly be you should compare yourself to the best and beyond and see where to go from there. There are also other deal breakers, such as no physical keyboard and the necessity to use itunes. While neither of these diminish the iphone in its overall "glory", they definitely give some smartphone users reason to look elsewhere. Nobody here has argued the iphone is not the greatest in terms of consumer response, the discussion is specifically about the concept of multitasking and the difference in its implementation.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Wow that would be impressive if what you're talking about applied to all apps on the iPhone and not just Apple's core apps. Shutting off a third party app such as SplashMoney with the home button does not keep it running in the background, it closes it PERIOD. That may be because Apple choose to do it that way and not a limitation of the OS but it still means you cannot balance a checking account with the iPhone anywhere near as fast as I can with the Pre - simply because you cannot interact with the three programs necessary in a simultaneous manner like you can with the Pre. Call it what you may but without jailbreaking an iPhone you simply cannot multi-task with third party apps.

You know what I'm done trying to be nice to people like you...its your (and Apple's itself) arrogant "Apple is god, everyone else sucks" attitude that made is an easy decision to ditch the Jesus phone for something that worked for my needs.

That reminds me...as an iPhone owner don't you have your own websites/forums to post to instead of trolling in a Palm forum, its not like your short of them. If you need help finding a proper home where you can share your arrogance with fellow Apple fans here are some suggestions for you...Apple & iPhone News | Forums | ModMyi.com, iPod touch Fans, MacThemes. Now get lost.

First off, I clearly stated that native third party apps are not allowed to run in the background many posts back. I am not trying to debate that and you don't need to defend it. Third party web apps can run in the background within Safari, which is a closer parallel to what webOS does, but we don't need to argue the point.

If facts are arrogance, then consider me arrogant. Along the same lines as your rant, I am sick of people on this forum who constantly feel the need to compare to and bash the iPhone. You can't go back in time and undo the iPhone's hard-earned success. It already happened. It already made its impact and is cruising on that. Palm has the same opportunity to earn their success and make an impact, and it would be nice if it could do that on its own merits rather than requiring some aspect of the iPhone to be inferior. What you see as arrogance I see as a constant iPhone inferiority complex exhibited by many people here, and it's annoying to no end. There very little honest confidence in the webOS on this forum.

I think owning and developing for Pre gives me enough right to be here, same as you. Not everybody here has Palm tunnel vision; I happen to use and develop for multiple platforms right now, and I dare say that gives me a lot wider field of view than many folks here. But nice try on the discrimination angle, that is real mature.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    But yet again...many third party apps have saved state functionality as of the 3.0 software, giving you the ability to "interact with the three programs necessary in a simultaneous manner" just like the Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Every phone runs multiple processes in the background in order to work. That screen shot simply shows 3 things going on, while the rest use 0% CPU. If the phone multi-tasks so well lets see 5 or so APPLICATIONS running at the same time using up CPU cycles.
    There are 6 core apps, one third party app, one developer app, and many background processes running in that particular screenshot. Apps have upper case names, processes lower case.

A proper multi-tasking OS will drop background tasks to 0% CPU when they are not doing anything. That's the way it's supposed to work. You'd see the same thing if I ran the process monitor on my Mac right now. If they need to consume more CPU, they can, but they should drop to zero when idle.

As you can see in the screenshot, three of the apps are consuming some CPU, adding up to 77.5%. That means the CPU is 22.5% idle.

The proof than an app/process is really active is to look at the memory allocation column. As you will note, they are all non-zero.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast