Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    This is a complete joke. I lost my original micro usb and got ripped at Office depot for a new USB to Micro usb cable. Only to get home to see the damn thing does not fit. I love it when companies design non standard methods of charging the phone. So when you really need something you can only get it from one place and get ripped on it.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I assume that the plastic it too thick and you cannot get it in the hole provided in the TS. I would get a dremel (rotary tool) or a file and file the plastic off until it fits.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duratime View Post
    I assume that the plastic it too thick and you cannot get it in the hole provided in the TS. I would get a dremel (rotary tool) or a file and file the plastic off until it fits.
    Yeah that is what I was going to do but I just can't believe that they desiged the touchstone not to fit standard cables
    They just want to trick the masses into spending 100x the real cost for things like this. Sort of like the $150 HDMI cables at Best Buy.

The Sprint people say that no charger save the crazy priced Pre branded ones would work...well what do you know that all my OEM BlackBerry chargers work just fine!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I was going to order a ton of OEM cables online that cost 99 cents from mono cable or whatever that badd *** site is but I can't now.
    Why did you go to Office Depot for another one? Getting ripped as you put it from Office Depot has nothing to do with Sprint or Palm. Why not just buy online or from the Sprint store? Or better yet, get one from Precentral.net store?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    They just want to trick the masses into spending 100x the real cost for things like this. Sort of like the $150 HDMI cables at Best Buy.

The Sprint people say that no charger save the crazy priced Pre branded ones would work...well what do you know that all my OEM BlackBerry chargers work just fine!
    To be fair, the is something to be said about using higher quality cables if you're going more than 3 meters with HDMI. =X
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Why did you go to Office Depot for another one? Getting ripped as you put it from Office Depot has nothing to do with Sprint or Palm. Why not just buy online or from the Sprint store? Or better yet, get one from Precentral.net store?
    lol because ordering what from here or from palm is getting ripped too.

.85 cents..

For only $0.71 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 1.5ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type
    its a funny joke since other companies do the same smart guy!!!

not palms fault ur lost ur cable, got ripped at office depot, and ur cheap attempt to do a quick fix fails on you . You can always do the official way and get one of palm website, but who does that now a days, its best to get ripped in office depot
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I don't have a touchstone (can't justify the expense), but I did buy a bunch of Micro USB cables from monoprice and they all fit/work fine...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Right, you lost it. microUSB is more of a standard than the iPod/iPhone connector.. talk about a rip off.

This is really no big deal. You just didn't shop around.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    its a funny joke since other companies do the same smart guy!!!

not palms fault ur lost ur cable, got ripped at office depot, and ur cheap attempt to do a quick fix fails on you . You can always do the official way and get one of palm website, but who does that now a days, its best to get ripped in office depot
    Learn to spell..
    You are wrong..

Apple, others agree to universal cell phone charger standard in Europ
    e

Apple and other big phone makers have struck a deal with the European Commission to start selling phones with universal cell phone chargers starting next year.

Side by side view of a micro-USB connector and a regular USB connector.
    (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

Under the agreement, manufacturers would start using micro-USB connections for phone chargers used for smartphones. Apple joins other big cell phone makers including LG, Motorola, Nokia, Research In Motion, Samsung and Sony Ericsson in agreeing to the new standard. Chipset makers, such as NEC, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments have also agreed to the deal.

In February the GSMA, a trade association for mobile carriers using GSM technology, said it had brokered a deal with handset makers to get the micro-USB technology into cell phone chargers by 2012. And the CTIA, the U.S. wireless trade association, backed the standard in April of this year.

The initiative has many advantages. For one it makes it much easier for consumers who no longer have to worry about losing their one and only cell phone charger. It also cuts down on waste since people can reuse their cell phone chargers when they get a new phone. Even though some cell phone manufacturers were reluctant to give up their proprietary cell phone chargers for fear that it would make it easier for customers to switch to new phones from competitors, eventually standardizing on one technology will help these manufacturers reduce costs.

While companies such as Nokia have already been using micro-USB connectors on some of its phones, it's surprising that Apple has joined the group. The company, which has seen great success with its iPhones, uses its own Dock Connector for the iPhone and other iPod devices. The company has licensed the connector technology to accessory makers, and there are thousands of third party products on the market that uses the Apple connector. Apple had not been listed as a company in February that backed the GSMA initiative for universal cell phone chargers.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    Right, you lost it. microUSB is more of a standard than the iPod/iPhone connector.. talk about a rip off.

This is really no big deal. You just didn't shop around.
    Yes I did. I went to five stores.
    You don't even need a dremel or rotary tool, just get a pair of scissors and start scraping.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You don't even need a dremel or rotary tool, just get a pair of scissors and start scraping.
    I did this now the charging keeps turning on and off.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    The joke is that the touchstone should come with its own plug and cable. That is where they rip you off. I use the cable that came with the phone for the ts and ones I got at office depot for my computer.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duratime View Post
    The joke is that the touchstone should come with its own plug and cable. That is where they rip you off. I use the cable that came with the phone for the ts and ones I got at office depot for my computer.

I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING Bro..

For 40 ****ing bucks they don't even give you another cable.

This is the reason I lost my cable too. If I didn't have to keep going back and forth between charging in the car to charging at home I would still have the cable. But you know maybe if the battery would last more then 10 hours I would not need two cables. Kinda sad my phone spends most the time charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    Learn to spell..
    You are wrong..

Apple, others agree to universal cell phone charger standard in Europ
    e

Apple and other big phone makers have struck a deal with the European Commission to start selling phones with universal cell phone chargers starting next year.

Side by side view of a micro-USB connector and a regular USB connector.
    (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

Under the agreement, manufacturers would start using micro-USB connections for phone chargers used for smartphones. Apple joins other big cell phone makers including LG, Motorola, Nokia, Research In Motion, Samsung and Sony Ericsson in agreeing to the new standard. Chipset makers, such as NEC, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments have also agreed to the deal.

In February the GSMA, a trade association for mobile carriers using GSM technology, said it had brokered a deal with handset makers to get the micro-USB technology into cell phone chargers by 2012. And the CTIA, the U.S. wireless trade association, backed the standard in April of this year.

The initiative has many advantages. For one it makes it much easier for consumers who no longer have to worry about losing their one and only cell phone charger. It also cuts down on waste since people can reuse their cell phone chargers when they get a new phone. Even though some cell phone manufacturers were reluctant to give up their proprietary cell phone chargers for fear that it would make it easier for customers to switch to new phones from competitors, eventually standardizing on one technology will help these manufacturers reduce costs.

While companies such as Nokia have already been using micro-USB connectors on some of its phones, it's surprising that Apple has joined the group. The company, which has seen great success with its iPhones, uses its own Dock Connector for the iPhone and other iPod devices. The company has licensed the connector technology to accessory makers, and there are thousands of third party products on the market that uses the Apple connector. Apple had not been listed as a company in February that backed the GSMA initiative for universal cell phone chargers.
    ok maybe i should of made a bit clearer, and i will for this genius who googled the micro usb standard for cell phones, the entrance of every machine out in the world will not be the same size, and i mean the hole where the micro usb goes into. yeah it has a micro usb, but whats the width of it, some universal chargers dont work for the pre since it has a wide opening with a male micro usb. so really i dont care if micro usb is going to be a standard all around, all the companies products will have it, but also have diferent size of the entrance ie OP ripped deal in office depot. he got a micro usb cable, that was the right type the cable size was wrong for the TS charger.

and typing is much easier on keyboard than my pre, and spelling correctly or wrong does not matter you still got my message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING Bro..

For 40 ****ing bucks they don't even give you another cable.

This is the reason I lost my cable too. If I didn't have to keep going back and forth between charging in the car to charging at home I would still have the cable. But you know maybe if the battery would last more then 10 hours I would not need two cables. Kinda sad my phone spends most the time charging.

for 60 ****ing bucks they will gave you a dam cable , this the reason why i have two cables !!!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    ok maybe i should of made a bit clearer, and i will for this genius who googled the micro usb standard for cell phones, the entrance of every machine out in the world will not be the same size, and i mean the hole where the micro usb goes into. yeah it has a micro usb, but whats the width of it, some universal chargers dont work for the pre since it has a wide opening with a male micro usb. so really i dont care if micro usb is going to be a standard all around, all the companies products will have it, but also have diferent size of the entrance ie OP ripped deal in office depot. he got a micro usb cable, that was the right type the cable size was wrong for the TS charger.

and typing is much easier on keyboard than my pre, and spelling correctly or wrong does not matter you still got my message.
    Do you not understand in Europe you could take any micro usb cable and plug it into a cell phone and it will always fit? That is how standardization works. We had this same problem before USB was standardized over Firewire.

The reason companies make the hole a different size but micro is to force you to buy the cable from them. The cable they sell you cost them about 10 cents to make hence the reason I can buy it online for 80 cents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast