Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    Yes I did. I went to five stores.
    Meh.. did you look online? I understand if you'd want to get it right away though versus waiting for it to ship.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Why didn't you just return your cable to Office Depot? All this could have been avoided if you had not lost your cable.

Also, when you found out that the Touchstone didn't come with a cable, why didn't you return it as well? It seems that money is your biggest concern here so why pay for what you don't want or doesn't meet your needs?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    This is a complete joke. I lost my original micro usb and got ripped at Office depot for a new USB to Micro usb cable. Only to get home to see the damn thing does not fit. I love it when companies design non standard methods of charging the phone. So when you really need something you can only get it from one place and get ripped on it.
    The standard is the plug, not the size of the surrounding plastic or the size/placement of the opening. The micro USB plug will fit the Touchstone, it's just that the surrounding opening is a little tight. Some cables fit, others are a little large and can usually be shaved. That doesn't make it non-standard ... and the cable should fit the "standard" micro USB port on the side of the Pre (although I've had some larger ones where the little plastic flap interfered).
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    The standard is the plug, not the size of the surrounding plastic or the size/placement of the opening. The micro USB plug will fit the Touchstone, it's just that the surrounding opening is a little tight. Some cables fit, others are a little large and can usually be shaved. That doesn't make it non-standard ... and the cable should fit the "standard" micro USB port on the side of the Pre (although I've had some larger ones where the little plastic flap interfered).
    that is what i meant, about size, i meant the actual PHYSICAL SIZE!!!

i know its a micro usb, cause all of europe has it (WHO GIVES A ****) the cable is marked as micro usb, but the outer edges make it big or small. this is why you got raped in office depot Tiako. it is a standard to have the right connection slot, but not a standard to have it all the same size. this is where you got raped, you got a micro usb cable that does not fit in your TS charger. so you either start filing the cable or you call SVU and tell them office depot raped you and want your money back to go online an order one that will fit a TS.

now you want to bring up a conspiracy theory, and say comapnies hid in grassy knols with special usb cables, and have themp imprinted special size on a phone (like big foot) then go for it, you understand how the company tries to get you to purchase the right cable, so go buy the right cable.
    Last edited by acekilla; 12/05/2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    Meh.. did you look online? I understand if you'd want to get it right away though versus waiting for it to ship.
    Yeah I looked online. The cable is 81 cents at mono cable..

I could not wait a few days before getting the cable as the pre is my only phone.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    that is what i meant, about size, i meant the actual PHYSICAL SIZE!!!

i know its a micro usb, cause all of europe has it (WHO GIVES A ****) the cable is marked as micro usb, but the outer edges make it big or small. this is why you got raped in office depot Tiako. it is a standard to have the right connection slot, but not a standard to have it all the same size. this is where you got raped, you got a micro usb cable that does not fit in your TS charger. so you either start filing the cable or you call SVU and tell them office depot raped you and want your money back to go online an order one that will fit a TS.

now you want to bring up a conspiracy theory, and say comapnies hid in grassy knols with special usb cables, and have themp imprinted special size on a phone (like big foot) then go for it, you understand how the company tries to get you to purchase the right cable, so go buy the right cable.
    I don't think saying that companies want to make money selling THEIR cables is much of a conspiracy theory. Companies make tons of money selling a cable that cost 10 cents to make for 10-20 dollars.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    $10 charger and cable, free shipping
    Yes yes yes, Palm does want you to buy their OEM chargers, but there's something else at play here besides greed.

USB 2.0 has a standard voltage of 5 Volts DC. It does not have a current standard. Current is the amount of oomph behind the voltage. A stun gun can deliver 10,000 volts DC, but you don't die because the current (Amperes, or amperage) is quite low.

It's the water pipe analogy. A one inch copper pipe can deliver 5 gallons of water in a minute, or 10 gallons, depending on the pressure. It's still a one inch pipe. Current equates to the waterpipe pressure.

Palm's charger delivers more current because the Touchstone does not use electrcity efficiently. It's the nature of inductive technology. To compenste, Palm has increased the amount of current.

Typical current for your run of the mill micro USB is about 500 mA, or half of one amp. Palm's charger delivers a full amp.

But a USB port on a laptop is much more efficient at charging directly into the Pre. If you took that laptop usb cable, and plugged the business end into a Touchstone, it will barely charge, if at all.

Is Palm making a profit? Of course. Most here want to see them do well. Their profit is funding the research for the next WebOS phones. I can't wait!
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I don't think saying that companies want to make money selling THEIR cables is much of a conspiracy theory. Companies make tons of money selling a cable that cost 10 cents to make for 10-20 dollars.

NO DUH!!! You make it sound like its a bad thing, when its not since all comapnies do this, all of them are screwing us over that's not a surprise to anyone
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    It's the water pipe analogy. A one inch copper pipe can deliver 5 gallons of water in a minute, or 10 gallons, depending on the pressure. It's still a one inch pipe. Current equates to the waterpipe pressure.
    Actually current would relate to the flow rate (5 gal/min), and voltage would relate to the pressure.
    I have 4 cables all from differant places and they all work fine.

1 was from palm, ofcouse it works.
    2 was from office depot - works perfectly
    3 was from a car charger kit with all the differant tips - works perfectly
    4 was from believe it or not Energizer, they were doing a demo of a portable battery with many differant heads, they took one out of a drwaer and it fit perfectly. its really come in handy, check this link out
    Energi To Go Portable Instant Cell Phone Battery Charger. Energizer.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    Actually current would relate to the flow rate (5 gal/min), and voltage would relate to the pressure.
    The size of the pipe is voltage. It remains constant.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    The size of the pipe is voltage. It remains constant.
    No, the size of the pipe would be resistance..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12