Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm on my 3rd replacement pre unit, and when I was handed this unit I immediately found hardware issues and the associate started to talk to me like I was born yesterday by presenting the "technicians" phone and compare it to the phone I'm about to get. There were obvious appearances that the Technicans Phone was far superior in quality build then the refurbished one. So the associate told me that I would get a new one ordered (refurbished) and I told him "you can order as many refurbs as you want, as long as it doesn't do this stupid oreo and cracking affect I'm seeing on this phone."

So the next week, I start to see a chip forming on the corner of the phone's plastic body. I was getting nervous, but stupid me, I decided to give the sprint associate the benefit of the doubt to get me situated. Well a month passes by, and I'm busy with work and classes so the thought of the exchange that I set up was sitting in the back of my head. Now I get a legitimate issue where the phone starts to jump in and out of Headphone mode. And I was able to duplicate the issue when I gently pressed the phone to my ear, that something was shorting the sensor and causing it to go into headphone mode. Now I take VERY good care of my phone FYI, and I know this is a legitimate issue, because it started to happen recently. So I got to a sprint store nearest me to get it taken care of. I didn't go to the other store because it was too far and didn't want to sit through the parade of holiday shoppers.

So what happends before I get to the store, the phone slides out of my pocket, and slides down the side of my car seat and hits something, causing the chip to fall off. UGH! I get to the store and told them the issue and what has happened, the guy looks at it and says "Okay, come back in about an hour..." (wow..an hour?).

So I come back an hour later, and they refused to do anything to my phone because of the chipped corner. The guy told me that it was a problem caused by physical damage. I started to argue with the guy with what I was going to, and he then started to treat me like chop liver. He starts to gently walk away from me while I was talking, and even talk to me like was born yesterday. I told him that i didn't accept this, that it's not fair as well! That if I have a legitimate issue, and something happens to the phone because of it's poor quality, I get charged $100. I'm already paying more then what the phone is worth!

So they tell me to call sprint, which I did, and the woman wouldn't help me because the "technician branded the phone as physical damage and after that there's nothing they can do."

I'll be glad to pay the $100 dollars if I actually damaged the phone that caused the issue to occur. But it's not fair that I've been promised a replacement in the first place and now I get a $100 fee placed on me.

Well she then bargained with me that if I pay the $100 fee she'll credit my account $50. So I decided to take that which is better then nothing.

All in all, I just hate how I was treated at both stores, and that I'm paying $$$ for legitimate manufacturer defects. I LOOOVE the Pre, but this is nonsense. I was so close to dropping sprint and going with T-Mobile for an android phone or wait for the HD2 to come to Tmobil in the us.

Anyways, I maybe wrong with all this, I just don't like how I was treated.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I was getting all mad and riled up just reading your post!
    But I guess from their perspective, they probably have people coming in on a daily basis who try to scam them and rip them off. I had a frustrating experience myself getting my faulty touch pro replaced with my pre barely a month ago.
    I've had a pre before it was even released and i've always had a little play in the "oreo cookie" effect. It's normal and it doesn't hurt the phone. Obviously if your phone had a crack in it right away, you should have said something. This is your fault for not piping up about it sooner. Now in your situation yes it sucks, but it's the equivalent of a restaurant customer eating their food for 20 mins and then saying it's bad and they want a new one. Just like anything you buy, verify its up to snuff when you purchase it/replaced. If you walk out the door with a new phone without pointing anything out, anyone will assume that its in a good condition.

FYI:

"Refurbs" are brand new phones that were returned for no reason. Sprint can't sell them brand new obviously because they had a previous owner so they are stuck using them as replacements. I've had plenty of "refurbs" in my time with Sprint and never had a problem, so don't let the name get to you, its a brand new phone.
    Furthermore,

Going to T-Mobile for a smartphone? HA HA HA HA HA.......

Wow, could you find a worse network to switch to? Have a great time with Wi-Fi!
    yes u could find a worse network at&t anyway. i understand ur frustaation i am not a big fan or refurb phones but i got a refurb pre and this one is so perfect its amazing no oreo effect and nothing wow. but i dont trust refurb phones period then even so the refurb pre was good physical it sofware just gave up one day later so on to my 3rd one whats a new one and its just great. so ya to make it short it was ur own fault u have to mention stuff like a crack right away or everything that doesnt seem ok or out of wake on a phone u should say right away.
    Umm. You waited a month for your replacement phone to arrive? They normally arrive the next day. Did you get a service slip (indicating the order of a replacement) when you were there for your original problem?

Either way, you blew it by waiting a month - who would do that?
    IMO since you dropped it you should have to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by guzjon66 View Post
    Obviously if your phone had a crack in it right away, you should have said something. This is your fault for not piping up about it sooner. Now in your situation yes it sucks, but it's the equivalent of a restaurant customer eating their food for 20 mins and then saying it's bad and they want a new one. Just like anything you buy, verify its up to snuff when you purchase it/replaced. If you walk out the door with a new phone without pointing anything out, anyone will assume that its in a good condition.

FYI:

"Refurbs" are brand new phones that were returned for no reason. Sprint can't sell them brand new obviously because they had a previous owner so they are stuck using them as replacements. I've had plenty of "refurbs" in my time with Sprint and never had a problem, so don't let the name get to you, its a brand new phone.
    @OP - I agree with guzjon's point about letting Sprint know right away and the analogy given was applicable. These days it's all about CYA. And if you don't it usually comes back to bite you. I've been screwed a few times from this and sympathize with your situation.

Refurbs = brand new phones that were returned for no reason? Certainly but not only. Companies will (and do) refurbish items that have had something wrong with them. Usually the issue is internal which means externally the item is still "sound".
    By now, it is obvious even to Palm and Sprint, that the Pre has issues. It seems almost everyone here has gone through multiple units. The biggest Pre supporter on the planet Josh at Engadget has been through several.

I'm sure they knew your phone had the problems you claimed. The chip in the phone just gave them an excuse not to fix it. At this point, no one is trying to scam them. They are just trying to stop the bleeding anyway they can. It sucks to get caught up in that. Just ask former Motorola Razr owners. The horror stories are similar.
    just buy a new phone.. they are so damn cheap these days. what under a 100 bucks?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    By now, it is obvious even to Palm and Sprint, that the Pre has issues. It seems almost everyone here has gone through multiple units. The biggest Pre supporter on the planet Josh at Engadget has been through several.

I'm sure they knew your phone had the problems you claimed. The chip in the phone just gave them an excuse not to fix it. At this point, no one is trying to scam them. They are just trying to stop the bleeding anyway they can. It sucks to get caught up in that. Just ask former Motorola Razr owners. The horror stories are similar.
    Apply this quote to every other smartphone/ppc out there and you'll have truth. From Motorola Q, Mogul, Touch Pro, Pre, Hero... the list goes on. I've been a member of one or more forums for each one of those, and it's always the same story.
    sprint left a message when my replacement pre came in, it clearly said I only have 2 weeks to pick it up before they send it back. I assumed that meant I only had 2 weeks to pick it up. Its my 8th Pre. Never saw chipping or cracks save this last one. And that was all touch screen coming from the button. You kinda screwed yourself man. Should have gotten it replaced days after they ordered you a new one. Also you should be going to the same store, since you know that's who ordered the replacement. Chalk this one up to shoulda woulda coulda!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by makokiller View Post
    just buy a new phone.. they are so damn cheap these days. what under a 100 bucks?
    Highly doubt he will be able to get a new one for 100 bucks dude. That price is for new customers and upgrades. Seeing as the pre came out in june, i'm sure he has already used his upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    sprint left a message when my replacement pre came in, it clearly said I only have 2 weeks to pick it up before they send it back. I assumed that meant I only had 2 weeks to pick it up. Its my 8th Pre. Never saw chipping or cracks save this last one. And that was all touch screen coming from the button. You kinda screwed yourself man. Should have gotten it replaced days after they ordered you a new one. Also you should be going to the same store, since you know that's who ordered the replacement. Chalk this one up to shoulda woulda coulda!
    You're on your 8th Pre? Didn't you (and your "My Pre is Perfect" buddies) used to blast me for going through multiple defective Pres?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    The Pre isn't for u
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Knock on wood , have had the same and only Pre for 5 months no problems. Had a Razor previously , no problems.
    Im in the same boat. I've talked to one of the VPs at Spring because I have had my phone replaced 3 times now. Im calling corporate on monday. They said they cant replace it with a Hero. There is no way I am talking a Windows Mobile phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    You're on your 8th Pre? Didn't you (and your "My Pre is Perfect" buddies) used to blast me for going through multiple defective Pres?
    not that I can recall. Too lazy to look it up?
    Its my 8th Pre.

OP: I agree with the sentiment that you'll just have to take this one like a man. It's a bad break; sometimes bad breaks happen. Try not to lose too much peace of mind over it. I think getting it knocked down to $50 was actually a great job on your part.
    Last edited by OfficeLinebacker; 12/06/2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: misspelled "lose"
    not that I can recall. Too lazy to look it up?
    I take it you are not a master of the obvious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast