Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lefty, nope ever since 1.3.5 it hasn't worked. Puts the avatar box below the text box and is empty. I too wish this could work. But I guess I won't whine, if this is all I have to give up.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Ive been trying to get this work too, its one of my favorite patches, all I get is the blank box where my avatar should be.
    I would love to know if its my phone or a patch conflict with 1.3.5

I dont want to Dr the phone if I dont have to..Patiently waiting for the repair utility to be updated then I'll give that a shot.
    It's not just you... As you can see everyone seems to be having this problem so I don't think doctoring your phone is the answer.

The patch just doesn't work with the new OS. We just have to wait for an update to be issued, assuming of course that the developers are aware or have the time to work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    Lefty, nope ever since 1.3.5 it hasn't worked. Puts the avatar box below the text box and is empty. I too wish this could work. But I guess I won't whine, if this is all I have to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRagunton View Post
    It's not just you... As you can see everyone seems to be having this problem so I don't think doctoring your phone is the answer.

The patch just doesn't work with the new OS. We just have to wait for an update to be issued, assuming of course that the developers are aware or have the time to work on it.
    Yea, Im fine with waiting for it be updated I just wasnt sure which end the problem was on..some people seem to be reporting that it works, or that the left side avatar works ( also didnt work for me ).

Time to be patient
    dido! i just spent 3 hours or so trying to doctor my phone and most other attemps to get it to work.

now i find this topic! RAWR

hope they update it, and since the new update 1.4 is around the corner who knows!
    I cant even find the folder that it mentions when in USB mode. Where is the user folder?

Never mind! Figured it out!
    Last edited by jediknight36; 01/28/2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Im dumb
    I'm so glad I read this first, I also have the issue!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I dont know how but i got it to show my avatar pic in the left side avatar patch but my phone was lagging so i reset it and now my avatar pic wont show up in the msging. i've tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. can someone please help me?
    The lag is caused if the avatar is too large. I recommend shrinking it to 40x40.
    Quote Originally Posted by jediknight36 View Post
    I cant even find the folder that it mentions when in USB mode. Where is the user folder?

Never mind! Figured it out!
    Can you let me in on what you figured out? i cannot seem to find the right location for my-avatar.

thanks
    Rob
    i re-read this thread and post #4 explains it. sorry i was so dense. I was trying to drag the file across the usb cable instead of transfering with quick install. thanks
    Just curious, is this working or not? I have not been able to make it work, I did have it working at one point prior to 1.3.5.

But I guess it would be better to wait until 1.4 comes out.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i re-read this thread and post #4 explains it. sorry i was so dense. I was trying to drag the file across the usb cable instead of transfering with quick install. thanks
    trying doing it the way it says i=on post #4 and with the left side avatar it works, just make sure you have the enable left side avatar patch
    works like a charm for me on 1.3.5.1
  14. nigallin
    Here is my setup:
    Palm Pre Plus 1.4
    Enable Personal Avatar Patch v1.4.0-3
    32x32 my-avatar.png copied to: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/images/

Shows the box where the avatar should be in messaging but it is blank. I verified the manual code changes at: webos-internals dot org slash wiki slash Myavatar_In_Messaging_App and it looks like the patch is forgetting to comment out lines 691-695 in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/stylesheets/messaging.css:

/*.my-chat .avatar-location {
    display: none;
    width: 40px;
    height: 40px;
    }*/

That "display: none;" is what is keeping the avatar from showing up. Mine works now but the alignment is pretty screwed up and the picture is showing up square instead of nicely rounded (I think this has to do with the .avatar-overlay style rule). If someone will tell me how to contribute to the patch I can submit this for all and try to work on cleaning up the alignment.
    I installed it and still had problems, but when I removed it and then install the version that puts the avatar on the left side, it works great!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

16. nigallin
    Yeah, I just saw the thread about that. Removed my changes and the old patch and tried to install the "left side" patch using WebOS Quick Install but I'm getting and error:

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- see webos-patches.log for more details

Any ideas? I've tried rebooting the phone and I can't even find the patch on Preware.

Edit:
    Found it in Preware.
    Last edited by nigallin; 03/05/2010 at 10:35 PM.
    What exactly is the point of it? Is it just for our viewing pleasure or what? Its not like it shows up on the person's phone who we send it to. Shouldn't we already know what our face looks like?
  18. nigallin
    That's a fair point. It would be nice if there was a "me" contact where you could upload all of your personal info and avatar for others to see.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12