1.    #1  
    I ask after reading this

Android 2.0.1 SDK materializes, Droid getting it in 'coming weeks' -- Engadget

I know it says "improved" so it already possess the ability but I'm just thinking that we've already discovered that the camera for pictures was already capable of taking full video with the right "tweaks/apps"

is the hardware capable of any kind of auto focus? or zoom maybe? or are we kind of SOL
    There is already some enhanced focusing going on through software in the form of enhanced depth of field. I suppose additional image processing could do some other form of "autofocus" magic. But there isn't any lens to move or anything like that.

Zoom could be done digitally--with 3MP, I'd happily give up some to get a tighter shot. Image processing designed to operate well with a digital zoom would help. Right now you can zoom in on a picture you've taken and take a screenshot, which is sort of a poor man's zoom, but when you get in tight you start to see the effects of the sharpening employed in the image processing, so it's not too good.

The camera has more potential than what is there now, but it's still not going to compete with anything that has better optics.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by morelloX View Post
    I ask after reading this

Android 2.0.1 SDK materializes, Droid getting it in 'coming weeks' -- Engadget

I know it says "improved" so it already possess the ability but I'm just thinking that we've already discovered that the camera for pictures was already capable of taking full video with the right "tweaks/apps"

is the hardware capable of any kind of auto focus? or zoom maybe? or are we kind of SOL
    That article refering to the droid is not about improving autofocus, rather FIXING it. Android 2.0 had a bug that between certain dates, the autofocus would not work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The camera has more potential than what is there now, but it's still not going to compete with anything that has better optics.
    I agree that, through software, the camera could be MUCH better. Even though it is a 3MP camera, I think the performance is disappointing.
    This is a good question. If the camera had the ability to autofocus, apps like Shop Savy that reads bar codes off of products using the camera would be possible.
    NO AUTO FOCUS. its a fixed focus lens. so no barcode scanners or anything like that. cant get closeups with this camera. there are posts on here where ppl have tried with the fixed focus lens and it is blurry because it can not focus on up close things.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Oh well...maybe on the next Pre.
    I don't believe that not having autofocus precludes every having bar code scanning. Many people have gotton great close up pics with different lenses on the front of the Pre's.

Imagine a Chinese Crap-a-teria co like Se.... well never mind, who could make a very thin back case with a small slide switch that places a close up lens on the Pre's. Very simple, very cheap.
    Good macro results here with CD/DVD player lenses.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-examples.html

If you have a Touchstone back, you could modify the orginal back to use for macro photography (barcode scanning).
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I don't believe that not having autofocus precludes every having bar code scanning.
    Correct. It's a fixed focal length; that focal length just happens to be too long to capture something like a barcode clearly.
    I think the camera is great for a cell phone. I'd like to see some software via Palm or whoever to edit the photos so you zoom in yourself or crop or even adjust levels. You can already zoom in and crop your image on the phone but just for screen savers. We should be able to have at least that power with all pics.