Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    I got word in a training this week that the very first 4g handset will be coming probable in the first qtr of 2010. My question to the dev's is.....

    When 4g hits nationwide, will there be a software update to allow the ability for the pre to pick up on the 4g signal or is that something that is a hardware thing. I know sprint would rather not have the ability to update the older handsets to the new 4g because they want to sell a whole new line of phones.

    currently we have 4g in most the major cities in my area and it is growing at a steady pace but the only thing running 4g capability is the 3g/4g aircards.

    I love my pre and the open development. It makes me feel like i will never need another phone cuz this one is always growing for lack of a better term. This thanks to the developers that are hard at work making all our ideas reality. So to the developers...... Are we thinking ahead? Will we be able to get 4g on the pre with an update patch app or ect.?

    Future man is back lol
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
  2. #2  
    no, its a hardware thing
  3. #3  
    if we hate our battery life now....wow
  4. #4  
    I realize this is going to get shot down, but I was told last night by a Sprint rep that the Pre was actually considered to be a 4G phone. When I told him I had seen this argument on the user groups and that it was determined not to be, he told me that EVDO REV A phones actually cross into the the 4G frequency range, effectively benefitting from at least some, if not all of the speed improvement.

    Wishful thinking, but nice to hear.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I realize this is going to get shot down, but I was told last night by a Sprint rep that the Pre was actually considered to be a 4G phone. When I told him I had seen this argument on the user groups and that it was determined not to be, he told me that EVDO REV A phones actually cross into the the 4G frequency range, effectively benefitting from at least some, if not all of the speed improvement.

    Wishful thinking, but nice to hear.
    yes it "compatible" it will use the 4g line but the hardware can only receive 3g speeds. who know maybe this can mean more stable 3g speeds or the top end of 3g?
  6. omamamiA's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #6  
    3g and my battery= 4 hours
    4g and my battery= 38.9 seconds standbye time LOL
  7. #7  
    i feel like the 4G radio is going to have to be in a bigger phone (think TP2), as I would imagine things get a bit spicy. Trying to put a 4G radio in a Pre or Pixi sized handset would not result in a fun time
  8. #8  
    I only care if I can talk Sprint into new customer pricing.
  9. #9  
    Wow, you all have no idea what you're talking about, no offense intended.

    Sprint's 4G is WiMax. The Pre has absolutely no capability for WiMax. The fact that there is going to be WiMax available means absolutely nothing for the EVDO Rev A radio in the Pre. It's not going to benefit whatsoever from the upgrade.

    Also, yeah, battery life is going to be an issue on a WiMax phone, since WiMax uses much more power than EVDO. And yes, it'll most likely only be a larger device with WiMax in it, since the chips are physically larger.

    As for Sprint's 4G being nationwide... that won't be for a few years anyway. They're in only a few cities now, and are going the slow deployment route.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 12/04/2009 at 12:42 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wow, you all have no idea what you're talking about, no offense intended.

    Sprint's 4G is WiMax. The Pre has absolutely no capability for WiMax. The fact that there is going to be WiMax available means absolutely nothing for the EVDO Rev A radio in the Pre. It's not going to benefit whatsoever from the upgrade.

    Also, yeah, battery life is going to be an issue on a WiMax phone, since WiMax uses much more power than EVDO. And yes, it'll most likely only be a larger device with WiMax in it, since the chips are physically larger.

    As for Sprint's 4G being nationwide... that won't be for a few years anyway. They're in only a few cities now, and are going the slow deployment.
    here in portland is 4G land...wooooo But yeah I'm not too excited about WiMax on a phone, do we even have the battery technology for that yet?
  11. #11  
    well they do have the 3800 mah extended batteries...hahaha..wit da big back phone covers
  12. #12  
    Ironically I just ran into the Clearwire (Sprints 4G partner in the US) rep for Chicago today at lunch.... they just had their big launch 2 days ago for Chicago and he was out and about promoting the service. He showed me a speed test on his laptop using the wireless card and it was just under 4000 down, 300 upload, which I thought was quite respectable. He said they only have 10 cities up and running with 4G currently. But more to the point I started asking him about the rollout for phones and my PRE specifically and he said there will be no phones running on their 4G WiMax (which is what Sprint will be using) until Q4 2010. Plus it will have to be a total different hardware package for the PRE so we will all be upgrading to a new PRE 2.0 before we have 4G. So keep the expectations in line....:-(
  13. #13  
    um, sprint makes their $$$ on monthly service fee's. They are taking a loss in the early stage of a contract. Replacing phones early hurts. And they are not taking alot on the price of the phone from buyers. Their only inventive to offer phones in the first place is when it locks a potential customer in a new 2yr agreememt.

    Besides your all wrong. There is a patch that activates the 4G in the Pre. Its called ZomPre and its available in Preware under themes!
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/04/2009 at 01:42 AM.
  14.    #14  
    so explain how zompre works if the pre is on evdo revA 3g and the new 4g is wimax as explained earlier. How can a patch fix a hardware issue?
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    um, sprint makes their $$$ on monthly service fee's. They are taking a loss in the early stage of a contract. Replacing phones early hurts. And they are not taking alot on the price of the phone from buyers. Their only inventive to offer phones in the first place is when it locks a potential customer in a new 2yr agreememt.

    Besides your all wrong. There is a patch that activates the 4G in the Pre. Its called ZomPre and its available in Preware under themes!
    and a patch thats listed under themes is odd in itself!
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    so explain how zompre works if the pre is on evdo revA 3g and the new 4g is wimax as explained earlier. How can a patch fix a hardware issue?
    It was a joke, Nick.

    While EVDO and WiMax have nothing to do with each other, it is possible that the rollout of WiMax could mean overall network upgrades in areas where it is deployed. Some places that don't have EVDO currently might get WiMax and EVDO at the same time. And perhaps if the backend can handle WiMax speeds, perhaps we'll be able to reach the theoretical EVDO rev A max speeds more frequently. Network upgrades are good for everybody.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    well they do have the 3800 mah extended batteries...hahaha..wit da big back phone covers
    Yea I'll have to dig up the brick i used in the mid 80's!



    The new Pre 4g!
    Last edited by edlex; 12/08/2009 at 11:00 AM.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
  18. jye75's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #18  
    ^^Damn, beat me to it!!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    I got word in a training this week that the very first 4g handset will be coming probable in the first qtr of 2010. My question to the dev's is.....

    When 4g hits nationwide, will there be a software update to allow the ability for the pre to pick up on the 4g signal or is that something that is a hardware thing. I know sprint would rather not have the ability to update the older handsets to the new 4g because they want to sell a whole new line of phones.

    currently we have 4g in most the major cities in my area and it is growing at a steady pace but the only thing running 4g capability is the 3g/4g aircards.

    I love my pre and the open development. It makes me feel like i will never need another phone cuz this one is always growing for lack of a better term. This thanks to the developers that are hard at work making all our ideas reality. So to the developers...... Are we thinking ahead? Will we be able to get 4g on the pre with an update patch app or ect.?

    Future man is back lol
    The fact that you're a Sprint repair tech and had to ask this question made my stomach curdle. No wonder I always had to explain crap to the <<edited by berd>> behind the glass wall whenever there was a problem with my Treo's. My god, you'd think Sprint would, I don't know, either hire people knowledgeable in the field or train them to be so.

    <<edited by berd>>


    <<edited by berd>>

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    so explain how zompre works if the pre is on evdo revA 3g and the new 4g is wimax as explained earlier. How can a patch fix a hardware issue?
    <<edited by berd>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 12/08/2009 at 08:17 PM.
  20. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #20  
    i love the irony that sprint is advertising their 4g service in the subway here in chicago but they don't even have 3g (or 1x) access there. however vz, usc, tmo, cricket, et al have access.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions