Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else having an issue with Itunes not recognizing their pre so you can transfer music? Is there any other app we can use to transfer music to our device because i hate Itunes anyway and would just rather not use it at all...
    I drag and drop my music. Some people use WinAmp. There are tons of different options that are on the forums here. Search is located at the top of the forums on the right hand side.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3.    #3  
    I'll try Winamp, thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    I'll try Winamp, thanks again!
    You can also simply use an older version of itunes. It's what I use and it works fine. I don't update itunes. I'm still on 9.0.1 version which still works great. You can find it at Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5.    #5  
    Thats funny, when I was trying to figure it out i went to the itunes troubleshooting and it said to download the most current version because that is usually the problem. But now that you say that i didnt have a problem with it until i upgraded it! Ah well, Winamp works just fine, except it doesnt transfer album art
    iTunes doesn't support the Pre. Apple is actively trying to boot Palm from iTunes. Every time Palm re-enables iTunes support, Apple squashes it, which is what happened in iTunes 9.0.2. As Achill3s noted, the last version of iTunes that worked with the Pre was 9.0.1.
    To be clear, YOU'VE BEEN HAD!

This has nothing to do with Apple "blocking" the Pre. It has to do with Apple protecting its proprietary, intellectual property. No device has seamless plug and play recognition with iTunes except the devices for which iTunes sync was made: namely iPods and iPhones.

Palm hacked iTunes and deceived customers into thinking that iTunes sync was an officially sanctioned feature. It never was, and you've been had. Direct your anger at Palm, not Apple.
    Anger? Only one who appears angry is you dandbj13. You may want to reread the thread.

(you can get off your soap box now)
    You're right on two counts; I am angry, and it is a soapbox. I used to like Palm until they went all Psystar on us. By doing what they did, they moved from reputable to disreputable. I was stunned by their actions and felt (irrationally) betrayed. Every time I see a thread like this one, it drives home the point I have been making the whole time. Palm did a great disservice to the people who trusted them the most, their trusting customers.

Now, there are many Palm users who are (wrongfully) upset with Apple for "blocking" the Pre. The OP may or may not be angry, but he should be. It sounds like he didn't know anything about the situation. I just think people who encounter this problem need to know the real story and direct their "anger" or disappointment at the right target. I wonder how many people would have passed on the Pre if they had known the truth about iTunes sync.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 12/04/2009 at 12:59 PM.
    (shrugs) my iTunes doesn't recognize a couple of my MP3 players (not iPods) but it does recognize my Creative old MP3 player
    The software on the CD that came with my BB Storm and installed on my computer had a media center section that allowed me to sync my Storm with my itunes. When I connected my Storm to my computer and opened the media section and click the sync button it would bring up all of my playlists on itunes, I would then click the boxes next to the playlist that I wanted to download onto my Storm. So since the BB Storm is not an Apple product, there must something more to this than that the pre not being an Apple product.
    You're wrong. Palm could have done the same thing BB did. That is perfectly legit as Apple makes that sort of tie-in readily available.

Palm did not want to bother with doing even that much work. Plus, they wanted a total integration experience and full sync functionality that only comes with idevices. It sounds like you, too, were deceived.
    You should also be directing you anger toward Apple as well. I use three Blackberrys (a 9630 Tour an 8330 Curve and 8350i Curve) and on each one I am able to import my iTunes playlists directly to my phone. That's right, one of the options on the Blackberry Desktop allows you import from iTunes. And it mentions iTunes by name. I have loaded all the content off my video nano onto my Tour. Very seamless operation, but it does take some time (slow transfer speed). How do you know that RIM didn't do the same thing that Palm did? I can't see Apple licensing to one and not the other, unless they gave BB an exclusive, in which case Palm would be raising cain in the media about unfair practices.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You're right on two counts; I am angry, and it is a soapbox. I used to like Palm until they went all Psystar on us. By doing what they did, they moved from reputable to disreputable. I was stunned by their actions and felt (irrationally) betrayed. Every time I see a thread like this one, it drives home the point I have been making the whole time. Palm did a great disservice to the people who trusted them the most, their trusting customers.

Now, there are many Palm users who are (wrongfully) upset with Apple for "blocking" the Pre. The OP may or may not be angry, but he should be. It sounds like he didn't know anything about the situation. I just think people who encounter this problem need to know the real story and direct their "anger" or disappointment at the right target. I wonder how many people would have passed on the Pre if they had known the truth about iTunes sync.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    It's not that big of a deal to me and I don't even feel a little deceived, I love my pre and there are so many easy ways to get around this non-syncing thing with the pre that is not really an issue anymore, just like there are many other ways to purchase music for my pre and my ipod (not that I even use this oudated device anymore). If the Apple idiots want to lose out of alot of $$ thats their problem not mine. I guess they did not learn anything from that IMB thing years ago. LOL
    Wonder what would have happened if iTunes had been Microsoft's baby and they tried to block access to another company's media player and only allowed the Zune (or whatever) to access it. Would Microsoft be allowed to get away with it?
    DIY of the day: The software license for iTunes does not have one single reference to what devices the user is allowed to connect the software.

Although there a sentence that says it's illegal to reverse engineer the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    You should also be directing you anger toward Apple as well. I use three Blackberrys (a 9630 Tour an 8330 Curve and 8350i Curve) and on each one I am able to import my iTunes playlists directly to my phone. That's right, one of the options on the Blackberry Desktop allows you import from iTunes. And it mentions iTunes by name. I have loaded all the content off my video nano onto my Tour. Very seamless operation, but it does take some time (slow transfer speed).

Sounds like you are yet another soldier in Palm's army of the uninformed. BB wrote software in keeping with Apples iTunes rules. Palm wrote nothing, instead hacking into iTunes and calling it a feature.

I have no problem with you enjoying you Pre. I have a problem with the misdirected anger. I say again, if you are not angry at Palm, you should be.
    iTunes sucks. Get doubletwist.

Also the Pre never used iTunes sync as a feature listed. Apple should have just let the Pre sync. Then people like my self would have just used iTunes to buy music. They didnt and I no longer buy my music from them. At the end of the day it would have been a gain for Apple and not Palm.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    DIY of the day: The software license for iTunes does not have one single reference to what devices the user is allowed to connect the software.

Although there a sentence that says it's illegal to reverse engineer the software.
    That's just it. Anyone can connect to the software. There are ways to do it that Apple has made available. Palm didn't do that. They "hacked" iTunes to make it think the Pre was an iPhone. Please tell me someone gets this.
    Of course, if you want to use iTunes, just install version 9.0.1 and don't upgrade the software. Problem solved bandaged.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's just it. Anyone can connect to the software. There are ways to do it that Apple has made available. Palm didn't do that. They "hacked" iTunes to make it think the Pre was an iPhone. Please tell me someone gets this.
    I was under the impression that the Pre was spoofing the iPhone/iPod and identifying itself as such. I don't believe that Palm hacked Apple's software in any way, shape, or form.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast