Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's just it. Anyone can connect to the software. There are ways to do it that Apple has made available. Palm didn't do that. They "hacked" iTunes to make it think the Pre was an iPhone. Please tell me someone gets this.
    Changing a USB ID is not "Hacking iTunes". They didnt mod the software of iTunes in any way.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    iTunes sucks. Get doubletwist.

Also the Pre never used iTunes sync as a feature listed. Apple should have just let the Pre sync. Then people like my self would have just used iTunes to buy music. They didnt and I no longer buy my music from them. At the end of the day it would have been a gain for Apple and not Palm.
    If I'm not mistaken, they are still touting it as a feature on their website, unless they took it down within the last few days.

By the way, if DT is such a good solution, perhaps that is what Palm should have pushed instead of their iTunes hack.
    I have never seen it on their website. It was only talked abut by communities like this. Nothing was said from Palm.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    I have never seen it on their website. It was only talked abut by communities like this. Nothing was said from Palm.
    You're wrong. They did. I have no problem with you trying to defend what they did, but I am not going just let you rewrite history and say it never happened.
    dandbj13 how did he re-write history he stated "I HAVE NEVER SEEN" which means he has not seen it on there. He could have missed if it was there. That's not re-writing history.

Oh and BTW I have never seen it heard or touted except in here that you could sync with iTunes either. Does that mean I've tried to re-write history?
    You're wrong. They did. I have no problem with you trying to defend what they did, but I am not going just let you rewrite history and say it never happened.
    Think he may have you on that one cgardner. I did a bit of googling.

Official Palm press release

"Palm Media Sync
    Palm media sync is a feature of webOS that synchronizes seamlessly with iTunes, giving you a simple and easy way to transfer DRM-free music, photos and videos to your Palm Pre.(2) Simply connect Pre to your PC or Mac via the USB cable, select "media sync" on the phone, and iTunes will launch on your computer desktop. You can then choose which DRM-free media files to transfer."

The date was May 28, 2009.

I do remember it being touted as a feature in the press prior to release.
    Your being unaware of a thing does not negate it. No one wants to admit that they were duped. I get that. Palm was actually the first to tout the feature before the phone was even released. They talked it up quite a bit. At the time, tech journalists were asking how long this would be allowed before Apple came down on it. Palm did, in fact, put iTunes sync on their website as a listed feature. It was there at least as long as a couple of weeks ago. The wording seems to be changed now.

Well, you're aware now.
    It's called their media sync feature. Palm has a presser about it before launch. It's on their website.
    However on October 30, 2009 in PCWorld ( Palm Lost the iTunes Sync Battle (Again) - PC World ) it states that Apple fixed the way Pre had the work around with their software.

So there...APPLE made it so Pre's software wouldn't work...

BAER
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    However on October 30, 2009 in PCWorld ( Palm Lost the iTunes Sync Battle (Again) - PC World ) it states that Apple fixed the way Pre had the work around with their software.

So there...APPLE made it so Pre's software wouldn't work...

BAER
    Keep googling, my friend. Apple did not "block" any legitimate software from Palm or anyone else. They disabled repeated hacks from Palm. Palm thought they could force Apple to comply by taking it to the USB-IF. Unfortunately for Palm, the USB-IF told Palm, in no uncertain terms, they were wrong and should stop what they were doing at once. Palm responded by pushing out another hack, at that point, a violation of the USB-IF. To pretend that this is Apple just being mean to Palm is a gross rewrite of history.
    Even on the Apple site it says they 'KILLED' the abililty of Pre's to sync. Maybe you should google more.

Granted this was from the 8.2.1 version "Apple's iTunes 8.2.1 update kills sync with Palm Pre

By Katie Marsal

Published: 01:30 PM EST

Apple released an incremental update to its iTunes software Wednesday afternoon, nixing the Palm Pre's ability to sync with the application.

Last month, Apple warned Pre users that future software updates may kill sync capability with the device. Precentral.net confirmed the impact brought on by iTunes version 8.2.1."
    ive used itunes for years.....til i got the pre and saw everyone on this forum saying how other things are better. so i looked around. and i found winamp. and i can honestly say i like it better than itunes. loads up faster and u can customize how it looks
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    cnote, I'm gonna go check it out. I have iTunes for my iPod Nano that my DH bought me but it frustrates me for a lot of things.
    Where did you get your information that BB's software is in keeping with Apple's rules? I would be interested in knowing that.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed the Blackberry is RIM device, not a Palm device. So why would you accuse me of being in "Palm's army of the uniformed"?

Sounds like you are yet another soldier in Palm's army of the uninformed. BB wrote software in keeping with Apples iTunes rules. Palm wrote nothing, instead hacking into iTunes and calling it a feature.

I have no problem with you enjoying you Pre. I have a problem with the misdirected anger. I say again, if you are not angry at Palm, you should be.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    You have been somewhat rude, at least to me. Calling me a member of Palm's army of the uninformed is some form of duragtory statement, especially when someone disagrees with you. FYI, I am a BB user now, not a Palm user anymore.

Have I been rude to you or anyone else in this thread? Have I stated something other than the truth or misrepresented the truth? Why should he not apologize for calling me a moron, especially since he is the one who is both rude and wrong?

There are a lot of people who do not know the truth about this matter. That is partially what is so infuriating about it. All of you had a basic level of trust that a respected company would not behave in this manner. It is natural that you would not believe it. I'm not beating you, or anyone else, up over it. You didn't know before. Now you know.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Where did you get your information that BB's software is in keeping with Apple's rules? I would be interested in knowing that.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed the Blackberry is RIM device, not a Palm device. So why would you accuse me of being in "Palm's army of the uniformed"?
    To the first part, you've got to be kidding, right? Are you seriously suggesting that BB is just as rogue as Palm in this matter? It is well known that Apple allows this sort of iTunes tie-in. I will leave it at that.

As for the latter, you stated that because BB plays nice with iTunes, there must be something more going on. That is the main argument used by those who defend Palm but have no idea what is really going on. It is an uninformed position and a common theme for Palm supporters.

As I have stated many times and has been true from the beginning, this would never have been an issue if Palm had complied with the rules and did what everyone else did. BB is a great example of a company doing it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    You have been somewhat rude, at least to me. Calling me a member of Palm's army of the uninformed is some form of duragtory statement, especially when someone disagrees with you. FYI, I am a BB user now, not a Palm user anymore.

I apologize. I certainly did not mean to imply that all Palm users were uninformed. I was only referring to the most militant who seem to come out in defense of the iTunes issue and blame Apple when they do not know, and refuse to accept the facts.

Again, my apologies.
    As I have stated many times and has been true from the beginning, this would never have been an issue if Palm had complied with the rules and did what everyone else did. BB is a great example of a company doing it right.
    IMNSHO Apple is doing this to keep competion against their precious iPhone from utilizing this. But again it is JMO
    accepted.

I apologize. I certainly did not mean to imply that all Palm users were uninformed. I was only referring to the most militant who seem to come out in defense of the iTunes issue and blame Apple when they do not know, and refuse to accept the facts.

Again, my apologies.

Again, my apologies.

I don't think you implied anything, dandbj13, you SAID it outright. When someone uses the word "army" to describe us dumb ol' misinformed Palm users, it's a bit hard to back-pedal from that stance. I discount anyone who takes a staunch, self-righteous attitude -- I'm simply right and everyone else is wrong/misinformed -- like this. You lost any credibility with me from your first post.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast