1.    #1  
    Hi, Was interested in a Pre and my O2 line is ready for upgrade so I visited my local O2 store in Bradford hoping to try one out before a final decission. The Pre display was empty and the sales girl explained that they were not pushing the Pre as they had about 60% of the phones returned. Main reasons were poor slider, scratchy front edge to keyboard that scratched the face when making calls and high volume of system crashes. In the end she brought one out from the back and let me look for myself. I could see the points about sharp edge and slider but was still interested as the interface looked very slick. Anyone have any thoughts on this senario. If this is an official O2 line then it dosent bode well for the Pre.

Paul
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    My wife and I have had our Pres since July and they have no fatal flaws. Sure there is some wiggle to the slider when closed and yes if you apply a lot of force when sliding open the phone it can make scuff marks on the plastic. But these things don't prevent me from enjoying the phone and its software. I do believe the current webOS has a memory leak because we have been getting the famous Too Many Cards.

I still recommend this phone to friends. It is our 1st smartphone and has been an invaluable tool since we took ownership. You might want to peruse the forums a bit. Some people have build quality issues, but again we haven't had anything deal breaking here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldresser View Post
    Hi, Was interested in a Pre and my O2 line is ready for upgrade so I visited my local O2 store in Bradford hoping to try one out before a final decission. The Pre display was empty and the sales girl explained that they were not pushing the Pre as they had about 60% of the phones returned. Main reasons were poor slider, scratchy front edge to keyboard that scratched the face when making calls and high volume of system crashes. In the end she brought one out from the back and let me look for myself. I could see the points about sharp edge and slider but was still interested as the interface looked very slick. Anyone have any thoughts on this senario. If this is an official O2 line then it dosent bode well for the Pre.

Paul
    Edge of keyboard scratching face? LOL!!! Maybe those people have a scratch in their brain.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    the edge of my keyboard is rough but its never scratched me. Yeh the sliders wobbly but I also remember the n95 when it came out, that was one of the main gripes people had with that yet it was a massive success. I'm surprised to hear a shop say this considering the pre is kinda the main phone for o2 now that they don't have exclusivity on the iphone. Also I could be wrong but I read somewhere else about o2 in bradford having a poor pre display and pushing iphones to people wanting pres and this was just shortly after the launch, just can't remember where I read it.
    anyway mate, if you want a pre then get it, its an excellent phone, I'm the type of person who changes his phone a lot and I see myself sticking with this one
  5.    #5  
    I am still considering it, just hearing this from the shop that is supposed to be pushing them is quite disconcerting. I was hoping some for of sat nav would become available so may just hold off until after xmas to see how things settle. Cheers.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    If your wanting sat nav then yeh it might be wise to hold off. Google maps does the job well enough, but its one feature im missing after moving from windows mobile