Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Pre's USB Power Adapter with an iPod as well? Has anyone tried it?
    yes I've used it with many gadgets and it works well just as it would with the pre. Very handy I might add.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I tried it, but the latest version of Itunes made it stop working....
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    hmm weird

I recently ran a factory restore on my 4G ipod (was formerly formatted for mac, trying to move it over to windows) and in order to complete the restore, I have to plug it into the wall adapter. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find my iPod USB power brick so I figured I'd try the Pre's instead. For whatever reason, when I plug the iPod into it, the iPod is acting as if it's not plugged into a power supply at all. That icon showing a plug going into a wall remains on the iPod's screen.
    Last edited by dead78; 12/03/2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
    I tried it, but the latest version of Itunes made it stop working....
    LOL... Thanks for the laugh.

Don't worry... If you use a two sided USB cable, you can patch the power adapter to make it work with your iPod again for another 3 weeks or so.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    just to provide a little more data, when you run a factory restore with these older iPods, it requires you to plug the iPod into the wall adapter in order to complete flashing the firmware.

I don't really understand why using the Pre's power supply won't work. It's rated at the same output as the iPod's power supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    just to provide a little more data, when you run a factory restore with these older iPods, it requires you to plug the iPod into the wall adapter in order to complete flashing the firmware.

I don't really understand why using the Pre's power supply won't work. It's rated at the same output as the iPod's power supply.
    Apple probably switched the power and grnd pins. I have an older Apple wall adapter that works to charge my older ipod mini (adapter came with ipod). However, that same Apple wall charger will not charge my nano. Again, pin change to try and force you to buy more Apple products.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Apple probably switched the power and grnd pins. I have an older Apple wall adapter that works to charge my older ipod mini (adapter came with ipod). However, that same Apple wall charger will not charge my nano. Again, pin change to try and force you to buy more Apple products.
    that's an interesting thought. I just wonder if the USB power brick Apple currently sells will work with a 4G classic.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    plus someone here said they used the Pre's power supply to charge their iPod