Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Vizi's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #1  
    Given the limitations of the SDK, is it possible for the app quality to improve. Or will all apps look the same as they do now.

    By comparison, apps on other platforms look more refined. Just wanted to know if what we have is what we'll get or can the format be changed?
  2. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Given the limitations of the SDK, is it possible for the app quality to improve. Or will all apps look the same as they do now.

    By comparison, apps on other platforms look more refined. Just wanted to know if what we have is what we'll get or can the format be changed?
    The apps will get better.

    The more time developers have with it, the better the (some) apps will be. Just like a game console doesn't have the best games in its first 6 months. Install base plays a part in this as well. Talented people can do a lot with limited possibilities. Same with homebrew.

    That, plus Palm is constantly improving the SDK. New API's, functions, widgets, possible support for some kind of GL, Flash, etc. Palm must have heard the complaints about limited functionality of the current SDK. A lot can be done with it, but just as much can't...
  3. #3  
    Yes we need a new SDK! For this reason I dont buy apps off of the app store. 90% of the apps imo really arent all that good for my life style. Id like to see more games. More graphic games. I do how ever like the chess, checkers, and connect 4 but thats about it. I still have not bought them yet.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  4. #4  
    And truthfully, this is my biggest concern with Palm/WebOS.

    I see alot of awesome apps/games for Android and Apple, but it been a bit slow for WebOS in that dept.

    But if you look, it seems that the quality of apps released in the store are climbing in quality, I just hope it can keep growing and Palm can survive the whole Android/Iphone battle long enough to let the platform as a whole pick up steam.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksand007 View Post
    And truthfully, this is my biggest concern with Palm/WebOS.

    I see alot of awesome apps/games for Android and Apple, but it been a bit slow for WebOS in that dept.

    But if you look, it seems that the quality of apps released in the store are climbing in quality, I just hope it can keep growing and Palm can survive the whole Android/Iphone battle long enough to let the platform as a whole pick up steam.
    You've all got to remember that this platform is only 6 months old. And the SDK was only released in like August. I think we've made exceptional strides considering there are apps that utilize full databases (Absolute Fitness). While the generic appearance of all of these apps is a bit disconcerting, you have to understand that we are basically beta testers. Apple is built off of Cocoa, which has been used to program for OSX for YEARS. Android has been around for a few years now, and is relatively easy to program in (or so I am told). So just have faith. Its only a matter of time!
  6. #6  
    I'm still amazed so many people from an enthusiast site didn't take note when Palm themselves said, gaming isn't a priority for WebOS right now way before the pre launched.
  7. #7  
    Don't really think it's about games so much as it's about apps that do more than just present information to you or stream music. If you have a device that's capable of recording audio, video, controlling the device by voice, identifying songs on the radio, and - yes - playing games...well, you want to be able to utilize those capabilities.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    You've all got to remember that this platform is only 6 months old. And the SDK was only released in like August. I think we've made exceptional strides considering there are apps that utilize full databases (Absolute Fitness). While the generic appearance of all of these apps is a bit disconcerting, you have to understand that we are basically beta testers. Apple is built off of Cocoa, which has been used to program for OSX for YEARS. Android has been around for a few years now, and is relatively easy to program in (or so I am told). So just have faith. Its only a matter of time!
    Aren't Palm still struggling to get sound sync and programming to work for developers, tho? I think that might be a troubling sign.
  9. #9  
    I hope visually the apps improve. Twee is on of the best looking apps out there. Developers should be more like DeliciousMorsel (maker of Twee) and create custom buttons rather than continuing on using the stock button images/UI look.
    Follow Me On

  10. #10  
    2 things I would keep in mind. First, is that there hasn't been much financial stimulus to get apps out there. Since there is an app limit atm, the number of apps people are buying/using is greatly reduced. Once the app limit in 1.3.5 is removed I think you will see more people buying apps.

    Second, the SDK is not finished yet. There are a few nifty apps waiting in the wings (NaNplayer for example) until the API's they need are made official. In addition I have a strong belief that a native SDK is in development and that it will allow apps and games like the ones seen on android and the iphone to run on the Pre. It is also my hunch that you will see the announcement/release of this SDK @ CES this year.
  11. #11  
    As a developer, I won't have made enough money to pay for my time yet, let alone pay for a good graphic designer to help make my App look great. I'm sure this is the case with many, short of big developers like EA games.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  12. #12  
    Maybe I am biased or something, but I see great apps all the time. Topple Ball is a great game. Is it a graphical powerhouse? No, but it is a lot of fun. There are tons of classics like checkers that are great time wasters too (not to mention the cool weather and productivity apps)

    Want better apps?? Then buy the apps that you like. If you like the free version of an app, then buy the pay version...most are around $1.99...show the devs that you support them and you want them to keep doing what they are doing.

    Right now there are about a million pres out in the wild, but the highest selling app is what 20,000 copies sold? That is a pittance. You can't get better apps if all the devs go broke.

    David
    www.webosroundup.com
    Find the best webOS apps.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpenguin View Post
    Maybe I am biased or something, but I see great apps all the time. Topple Ball is a great game. Is it a graphical powerhouse? No, but it is a lot of fun. There are tons of classics like checkers that are great time wasters too (not to mention the cool weather and productivity apps)

    Want better apps?? Then buy the apps that you like. If you like the free version of an app, then buy the pay version...most are around $1.99...show the devs that you support them and you want them to keep doing what they are doing.

    Right now there are about a million pres out in the wild, but the highest selling app is what 20,000 copies sold? That is a pittance. You can't get better apps if all the devs go broke.

    David
    +1
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  14. #14  
    Where are you getting this "million" Pre phones figure from?

    Also, remember every region has different apps. Some as high as 500, some as low as 66. Some apps can't run on the Pixi. It's just a mess.
  15. #15  
    I too believe that there is a native SDK coming. We are already able to run native Linux apps via optware or debian chroot.
  16. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpenguin View Post
    Maybe I am biased or something, but I see great apps all the time. Topple Ball is a great game. Is it a graphical powerhouse? No, but it is a lot of fun. There are tons of classics like checkers that are great time wasters too (not to mention the cool weather and productivity apps)

    Want better apps?? Then buy the apps that you like. If you like the free version of an app, then buy the pay version...most are around $1.99...show the devs that you support them and you want them to keep doing what they are doing.

    Right now there are about a million pres out in the wild, but the highest selling app is what 20,000 copies sold? That is a pittance. You can't get better apps if all the devs go broke.

    David
    You can't get better apps if Palm doesn't give the developers the right tools to MAKE better apps. It's a catch 22. Developers can only make apps that use approved functions from the SDK or they will be left in homebrew status. Even then, not all functions/access/abilities are visible. Until there is complete access to all functions on the Palm Pre, developers will constantly have thier hands tied and you will continue to see the same types of apps getting released. Are they all bad? No, but they could all be made better and newer better apps could be released if only the right tools are given to the developers.

    It's not about buying the paid version versus the free version. It's not about simple type games like checkers and the like. They don't require a whole lot to function correctly. But people are tired of seeing the same types of apps only with new names but same limited functions. If the SDK was released that untied developers hands, you would start seeing a lot more apps that are far more complicated then you see now and actually worth the money that some developers are trying to get for the current crop of released apps. You would probably also start seeing big name developers creating more appps for the Pre. It's all about the SDK and it's lack of tools.
  17. EMPOLLA's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #17  
    I think the OP is just talking about how the apps look, not how they function. And with that I agree. I'm tired of the same old buttons and the same old dark gray borders with the light gray background. Basically the vast majority of the apps are monotone and share the exact same color with the exact same format. If you could add some color like the app TealShopper i think just that goes a long way.

    Then I also agree with sacherjj. If there is no incentive(money) to make your app look better why would you.
  18. diggedy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpenguin View Post
    Maybe I am biased or something, but I see great apps all the time. Topple Ball is a great game. Is it a graphical powerhouse? No, but it is a lot of fun. There are tons of classics like checkers that are great time wasters too (not to mention the cool weather and productivity apps)

    Want better apps?? Then buy the apps that you like. If you like the free version of an app, then buy the pay version...most are around $1.99...show the devs that you support them and you want them to keep doing what they are doing.

    Right now there are about a million pres out in the wild, but the highest selling app is what 20,000 copies sold? That is a pittance. You can't get better apps if all the devs go broke.

    David

    keep in mind that only the US has access to paid apps. Its actually palm who are holding back the developers in terms of earnings
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    keep in mind that only the US has access to paid apps. Its actually palm who are holding back the developers in terms of earnings
    True, but that is a temporary thing...it will come. Even with that said, there are several hundred thousand pres floating around the USA (heard that from an analyst report) and who knows how many Pixis...most people just don't buy apps and that is a shame.

    Does Palm need to give a better SDK? Sure...more goodies are always better, but to say that good apps can't be made now is silly. They are being made now...finding them is always tricky, but there are sites to make that easier now (*ahem*).

    I get excited about every new SDK release, and I know that it will get better and better (and so will the apps), but it still is absolute truth that if you want the apps to continue, then you need to support those who build them.

    David
    www.webosroundup.com
    Find the best webOS apps.
  20. #20  
    you guys have to see this through palm's eyes. The Pre is the first device to use webos.we have already seen major glitches in the OS, and I think the limitations of the SDK as current, are basically intentional. Why give someone complete access to the device, when you aren't 100percent sure it works as you designed it. Granted, the piecemeal approach is annoying for us, but its better for Palm to give a little at a time, than to have their reputation ruined because of buggy apps.

Posting Permissions